Author Topic: LSR tires  (Read 49793 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Good News
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2006, 06:10:55 PM »
Now let it develop at it's own pace.
Be prepared to support it with some sales projections and suitable results will follow. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

LSR tires
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2006, 08:51:11 PM »
K.H., I realize this is probably one of them "top secret" deals, but if you could, how about enlightening us with the proposed sizes.  Thanx........
Bob Drury

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »
30s first.  But not tomorrow.  Over the course of time, "probably" everything everyone wants.

It's like Mark Twain said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

"Top secret?"  I expect there to be realistic and accurate reports within a month from stronger sources than me.  But, like JackD suggests, if we (myself included especially) stop stirring the pot for a bit, the soup will be ready.  It's just that the whole realm of possibilities changed within the last few months with certain things happening within the last few days.  

Is it a sure thing?  I'm celebrating by getting back to work on my tire test machine, as soon as I finish the WayBack machine.  Now I've gone completely deaf and mute on this subject, but thanks for your quite fair question, Bob.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Bob Drury

LSR tires
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2006, 10:01:30 PM »
K.H., Thanx, lets hope the God's smile on all of us...................
Bob Drury

Offline russ jensen

it's a small world after all
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2006, 02:39:00 AM »
:lol: rember sitting in chem class @ Iowa st in about 64- Harvy  Diehl was proff and was comenting on how he had been on salt -since he was on advisory bd to extract fertilizer from salt flats, He thought some of the fellows had some real interesting cars but didn"t have the heart to mention that in time they would have no salt to run on, and for a while it looked like that would be the case, made me lose inst in lsr , now got inst up again and was getting worried about tires- looks like maybe this problem will be cured also,sure hope so.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
He was correct
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »
The salt has changed. It is not nature or racing but the mineral extraction. The area and window of time the salt is suitable for running has substantially been reduced to the point we are almost running down a dirt alley.
The salt pumping project is for the self preservation of the mining interests and we might derive some slight benefit but no more. It is nothing like how the salt would restore it's self if it was just left alone to go through the natural healing cycle.
In the early 80s when it rained out for a couple of years, there was so much water the mining interests could not operate because the ponds would not evaporate. The salt came back and everybody was patting themselves on the back how good it was. The problem is that it was like beautiful thin ice and very fragile. The mining operation started up again and the pumping was to have put a huge amount of salt back.That was like whitewash over dirt and looked good for awhile but was the wrong chemistry for our use.
I have run there from as early as March to as late as December and now we have to take a yearlong bet we can get a couple of day a season.
The weather pattern has something to do with it but the narrow window of time is more related to chemistry.
Until the financial rewards for the mining company deteriorate past the economy the BLM will wring their hands while pretending to not understand and we will do as well as ever with what is left.
How does this relate to tires ? Until you make a positive move the problem won't heal it's self.
Let's hope the tire deal teaches some of that and we put those lessons to good long term use for everybody and not suffer from too much personnel interest.
"Keeping your head down until the shooting stops will get you killed."  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
LSR tires
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2006, 03:07:05 PM »
Quote from: k.h.
Good news from a good source, just got off the phone.  Development continues.  Tire production is still a ways out, but the solution is in the works.

Gee, didn't someone else say that?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NOT THE SAME
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2006, 03:15:47 PM »
Quote from: Dynoroom
Quote from: k.h.
Good news from a good source, just got off the phone.  Development continues.  Tire production is still a ways out, but the solution is in the works.

Gee, didn't someone else say that?

The program he is speaking of is not the same.
Progress is going forward in the face of all the problems mentioned with specification tire construction.

Offline jimmy six

LSR tires
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »
Sorry to go back to page 3, But Jack where did I give up????? I made a statement that's been said many times over the last 10 years about the the SCTA and tires.  I won't be able to hear what's said because I choose to step down from being the SDRC rep for the last 26 years. Geesh!! Jack, you're a raft of knowledge but sometimes you are a little out of step.

Does my car have illegal tires????? Damnation, I hope not. I get calls every week on what I have used, what speed have I run, what did you do to them, and where do I get some. Fronts and rears

I'm planning on bring back my cars to El Mirage something I have missed  these last 6 years after trying and succeeding on getting my son a red hat. (luckily me too)

I'm one of those who could say "I've got mine tough for you" but that's not the way I feel. If that truck would have opened it's doors with the "new" tires which were going to be available; I had pictures of dead presidents in my hand (no Visa). Hey I want tires built as much as anyone else so our motorsport will continue.  Last year I bought 2 NEW Bonneville  M/T's 27" on E-bay for $300.00 "Buy It Now" no bidding. Ojai no less drove up and picked them up....4 years ago I bought 2 used ones at the Long Beach swap meet for $100.00 (paid him what he asked)....

First and foremost I want everyone to have a safe ride.  If tires are not available for the 3 to 400 mph cars I will surely miss them but 450 other members want to race too and that's what I will concentrate on.

And as the Association having too much money in reserve. I don't know what the best conmfort is, but I don't want to be assesed again to keep the association afloat like was done in the past.  I feel that more will be given back to the racers in the future.

Sorry for the rant. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Your experiences have been considered.
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »
If I am out of step it is by choice and with all things considered that is the way I am.

Offline Bob Drury

LSR tires
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2006, 12:16:18 AM »
J.D., welcome back, you have been greatly missed, and I promise to try not and annoy you or anyone else.  We need your insight on here to neutralize Dolans incite....lol :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
GOOD COP - BAD COP
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2006, 12:58:16 AM »
JD and I play "Good Cop-Bad Cop" all the time.
The problem you will have is to decide who is who.  LOL

Offline Bob Drury

LSR tires
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2006, 01:02:39 AM »
Uh, is it okat if I annoy Dolan now and then?  He can get pretty dull without a little proding.......... :twisted:
Bob Drury

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Re: LSR tires
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2006, 04:36:08 PM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
.... I learned a valuable lessson on spools about 50 yards off the starting line, and I don't care to repeat it at 200+ mph.lol.

What happened?  I'm planning on running a spool, I have 3 carriers set up with different gears and spools already.

Offline Bob Drury

LSR tires
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
Let me put it this way Leon, I got a panoramic view of the Mountains, twice............  If you start to get sideways with a spool, you cannot recover, unless its a miracle............
Bob Drury