Author Topic: LSR tires  (Read 49796 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
oops a daisy
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2006, 05:06:46 AM »
Quote from: joea
the Gairdner Vincent also enjoyed handling characteristics from
50 yrs prior..............and an equal outcome...........

Joe :)

....different tires , same result .To be fair there are reports that the spokes in the new front wheel were not quite right however the ledger all comes down to the sum at the bottom and it balanced with the sheet you were referring to :wink:

....anyone on the volatility of tire compounds?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2006, 09:32:05 AM »
If I recall correctly, from conversations a few years back, some of the earlier tires contained wax in their compound.  I should have taped them.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
LSR tires
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2006, 09:59:02 AM »
So, in reading a back issue of Bonneville Racing News, (#122, page 6) Sam Wheeler of EZ Hook mentions that he runs a special tire given to him by a Goodyear engineer.  Now given that Goodyear already makes Eagle Land Speed stuff is there any hope with them for higher speed stuff in the future.  Sam mentions Lester Garbicz (who has since moved onto another tire company) was very helpful.  Has anybody asked the Big G?

Enquiring minds and all that...

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2006, 03:50:14 PM »
Correction:  The tires should be waxed to prevent OZONE deterioration, checking, etc, on the sidewall.  The older tires contained NO wax in their compound.  Thanks, Mr. R.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Bob Drury

Tires
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »
On March 13th, I initiated this post on LSR tires.  To date, there have been 123 replies, and 6245 viewings.  There has been a lot of discourse on the subject, all of it good, in my opinion.  However, other than rumors, no one has offered any positive, proven plan to help save our sport.  I beceach each and every one of you to reread my post of that day, and if you truely love our sport, urge your club members or like minded friends to get off their asses and get this ball rolling.  With the Julie Russell lawsuit against Goodyear Tire, I think one more spike will be driven into the coffin.   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
LSR tires
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »
Has anybody talked with Mike Cook? I assume he is still working towards a solution. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

I'm down to a single set (4) of new 30" MTs, they won't even last for the test runs....I'm getting desperate....  

:cry:

Offline Bob Drury

tires
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »
Mike is aware of this site, but apparently choses not to post here.  Dan Warner and J.D. appear to be the only SCTA connections who regularly post  or answer posts on this site, for which many of us are eternally grateful.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2006, 01:00:45 PM »
A good rumor is worth a thousand authentic stories.

In the authentic category:  Just a month ago I, personally, spoke directly with the principal of a small tire company that had just acquired a number of tire building machines for the intended purpose of developing and manufacturing racing tires, specifically including LSR tires, as time and resources allow.  

In the rumor category:  Cooper (owner of the M/T molds and pile of a few hundred tires from the last run) is said to have revisited the idea of making LSR tires.  

In the fabricated rumor category:  A league of interested parties is bidding for exclusive distribution rights for any and all forthcoming LSR tires, and will withhold them from the market until the rules committee tinkles backward on their highly ludicrous, anti-competition, ban of aftermarket pushrod motorcycle engines in M.

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
LSR tires
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2006, 07:41:47 PM »
Good one!   :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WORDS MEAN THINGS
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2006, 12:18:19 AM »
lu-di-crous
1:amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity
2: meriting derisive laughter or scorn as abusurdly inept, false,or foolish

I think you have it. Tires are of great concern.
With 9 pages,129 replies, and 6593 views so far perhaps that indicates a soft spot.  

"Don't ever lie , cheat, or steal because the World is too small and you live too long."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"