Author Topic: LSR tires  (Read 49795 times)

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
tires
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2006, 10:26:42 PM »
We grabbed a pair of the 32 inch dunlops to use on our model A sedan,Who shaves tires? Are they shaved while mounted on the wheel and inflated to running pressure?
    Enlighten young grasshopper here!! :D
Tim
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline RICK

LSR tires
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2006, 09:00:10 AM »
BIGTIM,,,  I went to all the local tire stores/shops, and asked about "shaved tires" and they all looked at me like I had two heads. I finally found a place out on the Interstate the dealt with BIGTRUCK/18 wheeler tires. They sell mostly used tires and do tire repair. They have a gizzmo that spins the mounted/inflated tire at about 5 RPM. Then a little cutter disc about 2" in diameter is feed across the tread. The disc is held at an angle that shaves off the high spots and slowly rotates the disc. Several 'passes' are made to repair/save the big tires.

Also,,, when I asked about 'shaved', he only closed one eye. Then he said "You mean trued?" He explained "We use this thing to TRUE UP cupped and uneven wore tires, to save'um for a few more miles"

So may suggestion is to go where they do 18 wheel tire repair and useTRUE MY TIRES.

Good luck,RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline russ jensen

shave tires
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2006, 09:38:45 AM »
:? Ive never done it myslf but some of the tractor pullers use small portable wood planers, the electric kind w/ head like jointer, their cutting down lugs and leave on tractor w/ gauge to get all true. don't know if this would work  but should,long as ye don't get careless & cut to deep.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Lesson #1
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »
This is a long lesson that needs to be done right. Some methods are better than others. It is better suited to a sit around type discussion than anything that can be done here. Liability exposure probably limits a magazine article also.
If you understand the need, the mechanics of cutting the rubber are really pretty easy. You already experienced the difference between a tire sales and repair outfit.
We are actually not alone in that SCCA types also remove some tread mass to reduce the squirm of a full tread when really leaned on in a race. While they want the tread pattern and shape , they just want it reduced to no more than is required for the event.
Recappers also remove tread down to a point but their method is buffing with a wire wheel that leaved it rough for gluing and is not suited for our application.
The amount you remove and the final shape will be determined by the tire design and use. If you remember how a LSR tire works, it will dictate the final shape when underway. Remember it is PSI rather than SIP. Think about a TF rear at speed and that will begin to explain it. Extra attention to the edges is important because the rubber is usually not only thicker there but in the event of a misdirection event (spin), you don't want it to dig in and put the panoramaic top view on the bottom.
A tire truing machine can do a good job and a sharp block plane or even electric will work. One of the things to do during any cutting process to to get a smooth cut. The shape and method of the tooling will produce a distinctive pattern in the surface. The important thing here is to cut it clean and not leave a buffed or ground surface that is more prone to tear away. In metallurgy a rough surface would be called a stress riser, weaken the surface and lead to failure.
Keeping the surface wet with a hand spray bottle of a weak soapy water mix will help the cutter do a better job in any case.
The final OK has to come from the person that signs off the (it works for bikes too) entry. The opinions as well as the skill level will vary as wide as the experience and you may be learning right along with them.
Tune in next week and the featured article will be "How to fly a plane."
Well that is my guess anyway. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Rick Byrnes

shaved tires
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2006, 01:09:14 PM »
The company I am familiar with that shaves tires is Vilven tires in Royal Il.   When I used BFG TA R1 tires they did an excellent job of shaving and making true.  I have not seen their process but the results were very satisfactory and they will do more work for me.  Phone 217 5833277
Rick

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »
Tire Rack shaves and offers a heat cycling service for new tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=66

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=67

Vilven Tire shaves too.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
GOOD INFORMATION
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2006, 05:59:21 PM »
Quote from: k.h.
Tire Rack shaves and offers a heat cycling service for new tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=66

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=67

Vilven Tire shaves too.

Not often seen in the LSR community.
Study carefully and expect to see it on the test. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
Perhaps the forthcoming series of LSR tires can be designed not only for strength under a thin tread, but also heat cycled before leaving either the factory or distributor.  Arriving "broken in" and not prone to chunking.  If safety and longevity can be built in, it's a benefit.  And, if tires remain in procuction, perhaps folks won't run them long past their prime.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
LSR tires
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
I just called the tire rack, they will only shave and heat cycle tires and wheels bought from them. I have a tire truing machine I will sell. $2500

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
LSR tires
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2006, 07:41:55 PM »
Quote from: k.h.
And, if tires remain in procuction, perhaps folks won't run them long past their prime.

Your new here huh?

Kidding... :lol:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline k.h.

LSR tires
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2006, 08:40:25 PM »
The man who made the M/T tires for awhile, advised me several years back that LSR tires will last a long time if they are cleaned and waxed after the season, and protected from UV damage.  That, plus not allowing the weight of the vehicle to compress one spot over the off-season may well extend the life of a tire to decades.

I'm not sure I would run a 30-year old tire under any circumstances.

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
tires
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2006, 02:03:06 AM »
All good info especially for a 'green' racer like myself
Thanks  
Tim
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
...making them last
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2006, 07:03:30 PM »
U.V drives the plasticisers out of Vinyl...is there a similar process with tires ?, does U.V drive out any volatile compounds that prevent perishing?...Storing the tires in light proof bags and keeping them unloaded must help but are there any compounds you can buy like "Burt Munro's magical tire elixir" that'll keep them young and supple??

....just for the record I believe that the first time the factory blown Vincent that runs at Gairdner "re-appeared " in 2004 it was wearing tires from "back in the day".....not thirty , not forty but nearly fifty years old!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline joea

LSR tires
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2006, 11:17:24 PM »
the Gairdner Vincent also enjoyed handling characteristics from
50 yrs prior..............and an equal outcome...........

Joe :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Learning as you go.
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2006, 01:31:01 AM »
Quote from: joea
the Gairdner Vincent also enjoyed handling characteristics from
50 yrs prior..............and an equal outcome...........

Joe :)

A smart one will learn as you go and not make the same mistake the first time.
Joe shows some promise. :wink: