Author Topic: 2012 Racing season. What are you doing?  (Read 11151 times)

Offline edweldon

Re: 2012 Racing season. What are you doing?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
I have a new program.  The Dave Watson street roadster "phoenix" project just wasn't working for me.  So I bid on and won the ebay auction for Doug King's Gold Digger lakester with the condemned roll cage.  I've been chatting about it in the Technical section and getting some great suggestions toward making it a 3 piece frame around a new roll cage.
Hopefully my shop will be ready to bring it in out of the rain a few weeks.  Lots of musical chairs and cleaning out of old stuff needed not the least of which will be making room for my new old Hendey 14 inch lathe (a jewel of early 20th century machine tool technology)
I'll be at the Salt for Speedweek with my canoe spectating and making a general pest out of myself with a focus on the white goose.  In the best of all worlds I'll trailer the lakester frame to one of the later El Mirage meets this year to get the tech guys to look it over.  My main focus will be on 2013 Speedweek.  Not sure what engine/class I'll run but it will be some variant of a flathead.  I'll likely have to wait another year to run the Ardun heads that have been following me around for the last 40 years. Maybe I ought to start a construction thread here.  It sure would keep my eye on the ball............. Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29:44 AM »
The liner chassis is 75% finished. Wont be ready for testing till next year, or maybe the year after (not in a hurry). 
Rebuilding the turbo motor after loosing it in bad (painfully bad) fashion last SW.
Considering running the busa in a few bike classes in '12.
The only reason I am even considering running the busa it just to anger my friend Fred Vance by sniping one or 2 of his current records.....and ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER REASON.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 01:03:10 AM »
Does this mean the Fiat's retired Jonny?

Any liner pictures?

Pete

Offline sabat

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »

Considering running the busa in a few bike classes in '12.
The only reason I am even considering running the busa it just to anger my friend Fred Vance by sniping one or 2 of his current records.....and ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER REASON.

~JH

Hmm, good luck with that Jonny.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
As Dean said good luck. You can't make me mad by taking a record, records are made to be broken. Some of my records are soft. Of course to get one of my records no hair dryers, no big motors. 1350cc max

What can I do to help? :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dw230

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:11 PM »
With no Fiat plans on the horizon. Looks like my backside is safe from a Hotnutz tattoo.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
Fred is right, no one owns a record. Heck once they are set we want to go faster anyway!!

And Dean is very correct--good luck going after Fred's stuff, he ain't no sissy! :-D
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »
AWW shucks. Speaking of sissys. I will have a second bike this year, Brenda Sue will ride it. Did I already say that? CRS strikes again. I may have to add some ballast, she only weighs 115lbs. She will be going after some of my soft records. We are hoping to get her a RED HAT.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
The modified:...
1. Rebuilt all the turbo ducting ...  No more pipes coming apart!!  :?
2. Minor changes on the motor..  Still had plenty left from last year..
3. Installing a new set if ITB's  :mrgreen:

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

The street roadster:
Nothing major just tweaking the few little things we had problems with..

Set more records.

We had a good year and want to continue in 2012!!!!!  8-)  8-)
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »
WOS - September - I was hoping for Wilmington in April, but there's clearly too much sorting to do.

I'll be doing some dyno work this spring, and attempting to recalibrate the Weber - and maybe my carburetor, too.

By the by - if any of you are on the Moss Motors mailing list, there should be an article on the Midget in the summer issue of British Motoring, their quarterly magazine.  No promises - magazine articles do get bumped from time to time, but that's when it's scheduled.  We'll see how the mop flops.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »

As with many things I say you should take with a grain of salt (entendre LOL). This was a joke between my pops and I who are very fond of FV and the concept made me laugh. I find that most people dont find the same things I do funny (odd sense of humor) but I am in stitches most of the time so its good enough for me.

I am considering running the busa but its just because I own one that has seen 300 miles in 4 years and decided why not race it as apposed to it collecting copious amounts of dust.

Truth is I am going to try and avoid FV's records like the plague. I may run one due to convenience but would never go 'after' just because.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
Well I went ahead and put an update in my build diary. It's been quite some time since I've done so so just jump to the last page if you've already looked at it in the past.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
JH, I knew that we are just having fun. I always look forward to seeing you and your "pop". And I am always willing to help anybody. That is what I love about LSR Racing.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
We hope to have the lakester out of the basement (10 years a building) and at Wilmington in June. Lot of work to do yet however including revamping a trailer.

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »
 I'm afraid we'll be on the sidelines again.  Anyone need a good car?