Author Topic: 2012 Racing season. What are you doing?  (Read 11152 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
2012 Racing season. What are you doing?
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
Okay, lets see if we can get some new information rolling around here.

Stainless, what are you & Amo doing with the 'liner? Gonna run this year?

Slim, is Nancy going to make a record over 2 bills?

Drury, bringing out your ride this season? What power plant?

I'm going to be updating my long dormant build diary to include what we've learned so far and whats next for our pile of parts...

Anyone else feel free to jump in and let us know whats what...

Kent, Noonan, Turk, Stringfellow, Vic, It's racing time........   8-)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:04:07 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 2012 Racing season. What are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
Nancy's going to try like heck to up the record she already has.  Right now it's from '09 - - 201.913.  Unfortunately for our budget there's a 205 minimum for Club entry in the class, so we're trying to figure out how to step it up that 3 - 4 mph that we need.  That's the only bike we expect to run, although if the old nitrous ZX12 were ready it'd be fun to run down the course, just as would be the turbo 250.  Boith suffer from some wiring and MoTeC issues, though, so don't expect 'em.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
  Dyno, the Old Stud Stude will once again be chasing the AC/FALT record which Gary Spencer currently owns at two fifty and change.
  With what we have learned in the last two years I feel we have a legitamate shot and will need to average almost 254.
  I built this motor (Dart BBC) with moderate compression (12.25) with the goal of running 25% Nitro.
  That should give me close to 1,000 h.p.
  In 2010 it went 238 on methanol and it was so fat that I couldn't get a plug reading.
  Last year due to spending most of the week finding and installing a new truck motor (on the salt), I only got one pass (after the rain storm) and ran 232 after putting it sideways in 1st gear and spinning the tires thru third.
  The weak point is the old fat driver who is about a full second behind the car. 
  With good weather and more importantly good salt, We might give Gary's record a run.
  Like everyone else, my main concerns are money and health, but as I have said before, as long as I can sell enough blood, I will be at Speedweek.
  Let's all have a GREAT and SAFE 2012!                        Bob 

m
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
Bob --

"The weak point is the old fat driver who is about a full second behind the car."

Another testimonial for slowing the steering down.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
Fairlane is gone and roadster coming along. Trying to put together a "small" CID, high rpm big block ford. All the aftermarket people (scat, eagle, etc) seem to think everyone wants a stoker when doing big fords. Trying to buld 429 is next to impossible without spending big $$ but as of last week we got the stuff coming we need at a good deal.

Brian

PS. someone told me the other day that I don't have enough grey hair to be a roadster guy. What's up with that :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
Don't worry -- you'll get it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
Fairlane is gone and roadster coming along. Trying to put together a "small" CID, high rpm big block ford. All the aftermarket people (scat, eagle, etc) seem to think everyone wants a stoker when doing big fords. Trying to buld 429 is next to impossible without spending big $$ but as of last week we got the stuff coming we need at a good deal.

Brian

PS. someone told me the other day that I don't have enough grey hair to be a roadster guy. What's up with that :-D

After you drive it you'll know why :-o

JL222

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:57 PM »
Remember to look down when spinning. You don't get as dizzy.
Ed

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:48:42 PM »

Brian

We are going exactly the opposite direction , getting out of the Roadster and into a Fairlane ( for this year). But we will be using the SBC out of the Roadster , its a streetcar for this summer!
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »
  T-salt, get advice from Fogie.  He went thru the five backwards at near 300.............. :-D
  Stan, I already have a steering ratio decreaser  and if I go any slower on the steering I am going to need one of those streamliner car caddies to turn around at the top end...............  and yes, I have tried Geritol and Five Hour energy drink followed with a Monster energy drink.  
  All I got was diareha (after donning the SFI fire suit).

P.s. FOR SALE:  one slightly used SFI fire suit.................... as is............... :roll:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:51:40 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:07 PM »

Brian

What :? Have you looked in the mirror.... that's not blond!!! :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
This year most everything that is different is stuff I made by hand and designed from theory.  It might work.  Who knows?  This is a chancy way to go and I knew that when I started.  I will be a happy guy whatever happens.  The big goal is to break the 140 mph barrier.  Hopefully BUB will let me run the FIM sheet metal in the new demonstration class.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
 T-salt, get advice from Fogie.  He went thru the five backwards at near 300.............. :-D
  Stan, I already have a steering ratio decreaser  and if I go any slower on the steering I am going to need one of those streamliner car caddies to turn around at the top end...............  and yes, I have tried Geritol and Five Hour energy drink followed with a Monster energy drink.  
  All I got was diareha (after donning the SFI fire suit).

P.s. FOR SALE:  one slightly used SFI fire suit.................... as is............... :roll:

Stan?  Here's your chance.  You could add 100 mph to the speed your were travelling when you spin and people would believe you!!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 12:53:26 AM »
Dyno, we had our share of motor problems with the liner last year, planned to run speedweek, didn't get all the parts in time.  Almost got them together for WoS, has some issues with the piston to head clearances and didn't make that one.  Planned for WF, motor ate a roller lifter.  
Of course the good news in all of that is we raced the Bockscar twice last year, put Corey in the 2 Club during Speedweek and I managed to set a record that raised my 2 club number a couple....
OK that was last year and we have the same plan this year.   I should be done with my building project by March, the Liner  is getting new lifters, with a little luck, still looking.  We're about a year behind on our Liner plan.  We have made a few changes that have not been tried out yet.  Still shaking it down but hope the have Jon in the seat for an early morning pass during speedweek.
The Lakester is downsizing, headed for 60 inches, normally aspirated, going to try to reclaim that one.  
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
No changes for the motor for this year. Gouing to build a long tail, Amoize it. Hopeing to get North of 240.
I am also building a second bike. Brenda Sue Carver will be riding it. She will be a rookie at Bonneville, lots of pavement experience. Hoping to get her a Red Hat.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing