Author Topic: LSR = Land Speed Rampage  (Read 173090 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: LSR = Land Speed Rampage
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
Haha! No offense meant Gregg!

Sorry- TRUCK is coming along nicely! :-D

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

gkabbt

« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
Haha! No offense meant Gregg!

Sorry- TRUCK is coming along nicely! :-D

None taken.....Just busting your chops.  :-D

gkabbt

« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
Gregg, I thought it was a car with a really big open trunk.... :-D
  :cheers:

Too funny Stainless! Yep, a REALLY big open trunk!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
I knew you were too quiet Gregg. :-D Busy man. Everything looks awesome. Well done. :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »
Looking really good, Gregg, and the GoPro footage will be awesome.

Just a tidbit for you to consider while the truck is sideways on the rotisserie.  You might want to cut the bump stop brackets off the frame above the rear axle.  By the time you get it as low as you want, the axle will be sitting on the bump stops anyway.  You can add lower profile bumpstops directly to the frame rail if you need to.   The factory bracket simply puts the bump stop too far away from the rail.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2013, 07:44:37 PM »
Gkabbt,
Re: reply 176, control arms with Heim joint pivots

Heim type joints are intended to carry only longitudinal loads, that is, in the direction of the centerline of the threaded stud.  This puts a tensile or compressive load across the whole cross-section, and is the basis for their load rating.  As applied to these control arms, they are quite likely to be carrying significant bending loads, for which they are not rated nor recommended.  Due to the stress concentration effect of bending on the thread roots and the added effect of salt exposure and crevice corrosion, this application is highly questionable.

gkabbt

« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »

Just a tidbit for you to consider while the truck is sideways on the rotisserie.  You might want to cut the bump stop brackets off the frame above the rear axle.  By the time you get it as low as you want, the axle will be sitting on the bump stops anyway.  You can add lower profile bumpstops directly to the frame rail if you need to.   The factory bracket simply puts the bump stop too far away from the rail.

Steve.

Interesting that you posted this as I just removed the bump stops yesterday.....Great minds thinking alike LOL!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2013, 07:48:33 AM »
Gkabbt,
Re: reply 176, control arms with Heim joint pivots

Heim type joints are intended to carry only longitudinal loads, that is, in the direction of the centerline of the threaded stud.  This puts a tensile or compressive load across the whole cross-section, and is the basis for their load rating.  As applied to these control arms, they are quite likely to be carrying significant bending loads, for which they are not rated nor recommended.  Due to the stress concentration effect of bending on the thread roots and the added effect of salt exposure and crevice corrosion, this application is highly questionable.

IO,
I understand what you are saying about the heim joints but let me point this out.
The owner of Race Tailored Engineering, Inc. is D.J. Elford who is a M.E. During the design of these LCA's he did quite a few FEA's to come up with the best design. Here is a link that has him explaining the design of his LCA's as well as FEA results:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?34943-Chromoly-Control-Arm-Design
Also, he has sold many sets of these LCA's and they are used on autocross, daily driver, as well as 8, 9, 10 and 11 second drag cars and none have had any issues.

Having said all that, I feel comfortable with the analysis that was done and the product that D.J. has produced.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:03:15 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
Gregg, take a look at a product called Seals-it. They make a seal to enclose the ball on a rod end to retain the lubricant.

Pete

gkabbt

« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »
Gregg, take a look at a product called Seals-it. They make a seal to enclose the ball on a rod end to retain the lubricant.

Pete

Pete, thanks for the tip for the Seals-it. It was already on my radar from this post (#101) on turbo-mopar.com:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?56824-Chromoly-Lower-Control-Arms-for-Sale/page6

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

Steve.

Interesting that you posted this as I just removed the bump stops yesterday.....Great minds thinking alike LOL!

Gregg

I just re-read your post and saw you were talking about the brackets and not just the rubber bump stops. I just went to the garage and saw what you were talking about.
Brackets are on the way out!

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
It's fairly easy work when the truck is on a rotisserie, isn't it?

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
It's fairly easy work when the truck is on a rotisserie, isn't it?

Steve.

Easy and in a weird way, kinda fun.....LOL!
I still cannot believe I actually thought I could do all this work while it was on jack stands.....Stupid me!   :-o

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
Let' see.....
Camera charged up and ready to go,
Handheld CB charged up and ready to go,
Laptop charged up and ready to go,
I'm charged up and ready to go.
So, it's off to Wilmington, OH in a little while for the ECTA season opener which is the Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge and there is a full field of 175 bikes and cars!  :-D
Really wish my Rampage was going to be there but, as they say, in due time.  :cry:
Looking for good speeds from everyone and remember.....Be safe, have fun and go fast!  :cheers:

Gregg
P.S.
Steve, your package will be in the mail tomorrow.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »
Thank You, Gregg - and we can't wait to see/hear the report from Wilmington.

Steve