Author Topic: Advice on buying a mill  (Read 32600 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Advice on buying a mill
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
"...a few other impotent things in life..."

Good one.  I got it - wonder whom else did. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »
I be whom.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline gande

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:55 PM »
, a few other impotent things in life, man I wish that was just a little bit bigger. :-D
  Sid.
8-) :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
Thanks Grande, I spoke to him yesterday. I'm still thinking a little bigger with a tilting head.
That might be impotent at some time too. Glad to see you guys got that. :-D
 There's a Tree on KSL too. Trying to get som info on it but it's like pulling teeth.
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
I've got a tilted head -- dad says it runs (?) in the family.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
I just got a 1946 Bridgeport running after several months of adapting a new 1 hp motor and installing and debugging a VFD. No changing belts for me, Largest cutter holder I can get is 1/2" shank. Still should do all I want.

Offline martysmilt

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
Finally, a topic I know and understand! 
If at all possible get a Bridgeport or a bridgeport clone.  There are several variations of the Bridgeport.  The most popular machine is the J head machine with a deep knee (Y axis)  (from the column towards the operator)  A series II special with a varable  belt is a lot better than the change belt variety. The things to watch out for in a used machine are:
1. Worn slides (ways)   The bridgeport has a dovetail gib (tapered wedge that takes up slack in the slide).  If the machine has been abused you will find that the gib is adjusted all the way in till the slide is tight at the ends of travel and loose in the middle.  A thousandth or so is liveable but many machines are really worn out some as much as 50+ thousandths.
2. Lead screw backlash  It is really hard to find a really tight leadscrew.  it's the nature of the beast.  Most smaller machines have a standard ACME lead screw with a bronze nut with backlash compensation adjustment.  The backlash adjustment is typically a split nut with a cross bolt or a dual nut setup that allows the nuts to be pulling against each other slightly.  Some Bridgeports have been retrofit with a recirculating ball nut assembly they tend to have near zero backlash.
3. Tooling!   get any and all tooling the owner has.  Tooling can add up to more than the value of the machine.  A new Kurt vise costs more than many used mills.  Most of the time a private party sells everything for his bridgeport not thinking about the value of the tooling.  The accuracy of the workholding device is key to many jobs.
4.  Digital readout  The DRO is a valuable tool on any machine.  it can easily double your productivity not to mention errors and scrap parts.

One other desirable thing is the X axis table length longer is better. (as usual!)

Don't forget possessions are revenge on our children!

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »
Go with hefty. Bridgeport type not bench model. Tree should be ok. Good used is better than wimpy new. Get as much tooling with it as you can. Tooling can soon add up to more than the cost of the machine. I bought a used Bridgeport variable speed with digitil read out and power table and some tooling for $3,000. This was from a private party. Also check Craigs list. I picked up a $2,000 rotary table american made for $200. There is a company around Reno Nv. I have delt with that has good prices on tooling both domestic & foriegn. The name is Enco and they are a mail order house. If you can't move the machine yourself a mover can get expensive. I tend lean toward big is better but for a larger dollar outlay a few hundred more its worth the one time deal. My plasma cutter will cut 7/8 not needed so but if I do its there.
                                           Jack
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »
Sid, just so you know, that one tilts side to side. I like mine because of the small footprint compared to the Bridgeport. I'd rather have a Bridgeport or a copy if I had the room.

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
The Smithy tilts?
  Sid.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
Yes. If you go back to your original post and look at the first picture you'll see a bolt at the back of the gearbox housing about 1/2 way down. There's a corresponding one on the other side. Loosen those two and the head rotates. That's why the casting has that circular look in that area.

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »

There's a Tree on KSL too. Trying to get som info on it but it's like pulling teeth.
  Sid.

Nothing wrong with a Tree. In fact I think they are a better machine than a Bridgeport. JMO

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 09:04:16 PM »
I'm kinda leaning towards a Tree at this stage. No pun intended, from someone who lives in front of the Caribou National Forest.
  Sid.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
Ya.  Good mill same as good draft horse.  Strong.  Simple.  Plows in a straight line.