Author Topic: Lake Gairdner Salt is underwater?  (Read 28657 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Lake Gairdner Salt is underwater?
« on: March 04, 2006, 11:12:24 AM »
Do I read Jonathon's "bulletin" correctly -- that there's water on Lake Gairdner?  Or is that a comment about Bonneville?

It'd be a hell of a note to go all that way, make all those plans, jump through all those hoops and miss that many connections -- and then not be able to race.

They could've stayed home for wet salt!

Send an update, Jon -- we all hope you were just sleepy when you reported that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
lake
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 11:21:07 AM »
Jon
You read it right, I got a PM from Dolan and also looked the weather up, seems a tropical storm passed thru the area. Don't know if it will stop them or not. Waiting for the update from Jon A/
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

Wet Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 11:55:37 AM »
What's new about wet salt? It pops it's ugly head up here also.  If the salts dry the wind can get you and if the weather is OK something breaks. LSR is the same the world over.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

CONGRATULATIONS JON
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
Well this is just one more example of the dedication of Jon Amo to this site. It's back up and running and he is 1/4 of the way around the earth from home.
As many times as I have signed on to see if it back up, and I imagine you have also, it's time to reward him for his dedication.
How do we do that?
Even if you have donated in the past, send him some money again. The satellite link,the phone that works 300 miles from civilization, his hours w/o sleep and the unknown number of phone calls from the outback to the people that "chopped him off" deserve some type of support from us.

Send him some money. I know damned well I will.

Just admit how much we feel left out until he had it back up and working.

Keilani....you no doubt had a big part in relaying his frustration to the frustrators......you deserve another lei.

Jon.....you'se a good boy

FREUD

`
Since '63

landracing

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 09:43:28 PM »
They tell me that the image section of landracing.com was overloading the servers and they removed the site to lighten the load up from others that share a server with me... That is why it was down..

I have another system that everything is on just in case they decide to shut it down again im ready...

Jon

Offline Howard

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 04:57:25 PM »
8) Thanks Jon, you are a Prince. I may not be racing anymore but I enjoy coming to your site and keeping up with what is going on.
Good luck down there and let's hope the salt is drying rapidly. I sure miss my involvement with you guys.
Howard (retired racer)

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the updates Jon, hope things dry out for yoou guys to get some
strong runs in :D
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »
Sounds like Jon has finally met " Animal ". You can not really describe him to anyone, you have to see for yourself. Defiantly a one of a kind.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline vette#128

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 10:55:13 PM »
From what jon had to say in his last update, sounds like some big numbers are being put up, with bigger one's yet to come as the salt drys. Go for it guys!!!!!!!  :D
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:59:48 PM »
Quote from: doug odom
Sounds like Jon has finally met " Animal ". You can not really describe him to anyone, you have to see for yourself. Defiantly a one of a kind.

Doug since you have been over there I wonder if you have an answer to a question I have.

It seems due to the nature of a couple accidents they have had over there a couple of the guys have been air lifted out for observation and luckily they seem to be OK.

How are they doing this?  With the plane Jon went up in?  And if this happens is there only one plane and if so is the meet shut down until it returns?

I know it has been a couple years since you have been over there, but I thought you might have some idea.

No report from Jon for today, which is actually tomorrow there and the end of the scheduled meet.  Anyone know what is going on?  I think I read in one of his posts that the Ack team might go past the end of the meet if they have to.  

Sad that Jim had early problems.  Hope Joe, John and the Ack team can still get in a good run.

c ya, Sum

landracing

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
They have a plane on standby for the meet at  Mt. Ives during the event. Simply this plane was there giving rides, seperate from the meet. They did use this plane to transport. And it did not shut the meet down.

The only time meet was shut down was when the fire happened and they had to recharge fire extingishers.

Noonan Hayabusa was done, due to clutch problems and after that was fixed it still would not shift out of third gear.

Joe made a final pass and still could not get the handling issues fixed so we loaded it up.

Ack Attack boys were still there when we left. We had to get back because our guide needed to be back to catch a plane. The liner was at the line ready, winds calmed down, but the event took lunch break.. When that was over winds came back up. It was windy in afternoons there and im not sure how long they would have to wait for calm winds. They were only going to make one last pass with Nooan in seat. Working on some parachute situations in the morning. And they still had to pick up wire and clocks and pit area and were scheduled to be at Port Augusta tonight. Not sure how long they were going to wait for winds. I will make call in the morning.

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
lake
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 12:11:28 PM »
It's to bad that the weather didn't work out for all, That's a long and very expensive trip. We have been so Lucky at Bonneville with only a few events rained out. Mother nature still rules and we have to appreciate the good years. Hope that Ack attack gets a good and safe pass before they come home. Everyone has been quiet about Keith, wondering if he got into a fight with a big ROO over there. Or is he still looking for his cell phone.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the update Jon and the safety info.

I guess I'm kind of at a loss for words.  I would imagine you guys have mixed emotions.  Probably a big high for getting to make the trip and meeting some really nice people and getting to see some of the country and partaking in their meet.

Then probably some lows with the motor, clutch, handling, parachute, winds, water, internet site problems, etc. that can make racing a sport with high highs and low lows.  Like they say, if it was easy everyone would have a record.  Congratulations to Joe, Sam and John on their records :D .

I want to say thanks for all that you have done for us.  I feel I definitely have a better idea of what racing over there is all about now thanks to your efforts in getting the experience down into words for us.  I for sure want to go now.  I'm sure I will have to go as a spectator, but that would be a great experience.

I also want to thank Jim and Mike and you and Joe for taking your bikes all the way over there with all the expense that involved.  It made it a lot more interesting for us knowing someone from this side of the lake that was actually involved in the event.

Have a safe trip home,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
With all of that
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 12:33:43 PM »
Many now know more about the highs and lows of the sport that might be gathered any other way.
Putting a light on the event from end to end will make it better no matter what and no matter who.
Reliability will rise to the top and responsibility will prevail. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Freud

Jons Commentary
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 02:21:02 PM »
It certainly makes a difference when it is reported as it happens. Normally we would say, "well it's the Auzzies race week" and that would be the end of it. With Jons reports and fotos it brought it to a totally different focus.

Racing is the same wherever it happens. The same forces of nature effect us wherever we go. Mechanical problems are still mechanical problems but it's harder to fix them in some locations. We have always thought Wendover was the steppin' off place to oblivion. I think Australia has us covered on that deal.

Jon....you kept us checking the mail 20 times a day. I would open the site, check and say...."what the hell's he doin?"  Then I'd check the clock and see that it was  "no mans hours" down there. Then when the fotos opened I'd go thru them several times and relive it again and again.

Thanks beyond description for accomplishing all you did. Lake Gairdner seems a lot closer to us than it did 10 days ago.

Make damned certain to bring the Kawasaki hat home  and no fly shit or red dirt on it.

FREUD
Since '63