Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 478999 times)

Offline Crackerman

Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #585 on: August 06, 2023, 01:51:31 PM »
Perhaps holding the flywheel still? I have seen manufacturer special tools that engage the ring gear on the flywheel, and pinned into a cpuple of dowel holes... If you have the space, I am sure you have enough ingenuity to build one.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #586 on: August 06, 2023, 05:29:37 PM »
I like that...A plate that bolts to the starter mounting surface with pins that hold the ring gear. :clap
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #587 on: August 07, 2023, 12:39:28 AM »
I appreciate the suggestions.
I could use the impact wrench to loosen the snout bolt, but prefer to never use one to tighten it.
I can't get at the flywheel at all- even the access panel in the top of the clutch can is buried, and doubt I can remove/re-install the starter.
I'm almost finished mounting a harmonic balancer to the crank's blower pulley, so am hoping for success.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #588 on: August 07, 2023, 08:37:12 AM »
Bear in mind that a harmonic balancer would properly be tuned to the particular configuration of the crank, rods, pistons, and any other rotational attachments and a speed of rotation.  Just hanging a random ?balancer? on could easily introduce undesirable resonances.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #589 on: August 07, 2023, 06:22:29 PM »
Jack,

Did you have the crankshaft internally balanced with Mallory?

When I was a kid I tried the rattle gun for the gland nut that holds the flywheel on my VW Bug. Needed around 235 or 250 Tq. A friend had a 3/4" drive rattle gun I used. LOL. I knew to go easy so I only held the trigger about 1/2 a second. Second time I hit the trigger I blew the bolt in half. Luckily for me I was able to unscrew the remainder of the bolt with my finger. Never did that again.

Good luck,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #590 on: August 10, 2023, 10:55:38 PM »
Finished up the balancer mounting and shield.
Apparently 'most everything went together okay- all systems function and it fires right up. It purposely doesn't have engine cover nor belly pan mounted- for double-checking fasteners, etc. after some run time.
Not having run it unblown before, I'm in-the-dark with the fuel system. Extrapolating down from my unblown V8 experience to this four (half as many cylinders needs maybe half as much fuel?) would require about a 160 Hilborn pill (if no other fuel changes)! I doubt pills of that size range even exist, so I drilled a batch of spare pills up to .177". The pill holder and its plumbing start to be a flow restriction at those sizes, so it's a guessing game for now. I hope to get some dragstrip test runs in soon.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #591 on: August 18, 2023, 01:01:47 AM »
With the largest possible pill (.177") it was so fat it barely ran, blowing liquid alcohol out the pipes. Getting closer would require major reconfiguration of the fuel system. So... I'll remount the blower, since I've already got a good handle on air/fuel ratio with the blower. If I should happen to make it to Loring, it will be a thrash right through to the end! :roll:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #592 on: August 22, 2023, 11:48:52 PM »
The thrash wasn't bad, the lakester is ready-to-go in F/BFL. I even managed to source and install an FAST alcohol-specific air/fuel ratio meter. I hope to get in some fuel-tuning on Loring's practice track before any timed runs.
My biggest problem now is lack of a crew. Anybody available? Preferably someone living between here (central NY) and the southern end of Maine, to help drive the hauler in one day (800 miles from here to Loring). I'll cover expenses- a room at the Bunker Inn, meals, etc. Planning the drive for Tuesday 8/29/23.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:05:42 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #593 on: August 25, 2023, 10:33:35 PM »
A little more flexibility in where a crew member might join me-
Instead of driving east, then I95 north, I may take I81 north to Canada, then 401 to near Loring.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #594 on: August 28, 2023, 09:34:31 PM »
I got me a crewmember... Hurrah! :-)
Not a racer, but we've been friends since living a mile apart when I was in kindergarten- 1945. :?
And he does have a press pass for photographing motorsports.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #595 on: September 06, 2023, 10:32:31 PM »
Came home with a broken engine... again. :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #596 on: September 06, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »
What happened Jack... tell the story...  :cry:  we are all sorry to hear you broke, hopefully you got some miles in first.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #597 on: September 07, 2023, 08:52:57 PM »
Nope, no miles. One attempt at the mile- felt stronger than prior year's runs, but sudden silence at about 3/4 mile. Not in a hurry to tear into it- both #1 & #2 pistons are at tops of their cylinders. :x Or perhaps just half of #2 piston?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #598 on: September 24, 2023, 12:30:17 AM »
It may be time to end this thread... along with ending my lakester efforts... wanna buy a lakester?
Rather than quitting landracing, maybe I'll just run my tow vehicle- '59 GMC- in LTA's Production Pickup class, where the records are VERY soft. :-)
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #599 on: September 26, 2023, 01:54:28 PM »
All the records are soft if someone with insight and ingenuity pursues them.  Jack has all of that.

Joe