Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 479024 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #525 on: November 15, 2020, 02:49:12 PM »
Great Job Jack... is it time to get some salt on those beautiful vehicles.... or are you going to keep them looking nice  :?  :friday
With the site down so much I was afraid we wouldn't get to hear the story.  So any other associated tidbits we should know
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #526 on: November 16, 2020, 12:53:42 AM »
... any other associated tidbits we should know...
No, nothing of note- just the typical list of items to check/improve/etc. And, as with all racers, ponder ways to go faster!
Although I hated showing up without any crew, my success demonstrates how helpful the LTA officials and other racers were to me- THANKS to all of you!!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #527 on: May 11, 2021, 12:47:15 AM »
I'm enjoying the new (and not yet cluttered!) garage addition, and glad I included hoist beams. One item on the lakester's to-do list is the ability to remotely drain the oil pan, and removal of one belly pan panel is needed to work in that area. The dry sump engine sometimes "wet sumps". Not sure if it's just when sitting or maybe during slow engine speeds- warm up, etc.
Changes to move [only slightly] beyond the very conservative state-of-tune are done. Blower will spin 17% faster- so running the same pill will reduce the over-fat fuel curve. Ignition timing advanced from 27 to 31 BTDC. Both cams moved from straight-up to 5 degrees (crank) retarded.
The majority of other items have been crossed off the list, so making the July Loring event shouldn't be a problem.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline desotoman

« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2021, 10:42:00 AM »
Jack,

I am happy for you on the new addition. Seems like we never have enough space in our garages for everything we have to put in them.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:02 AM »
Nice addition but remember that Subaru [s**t] expands to fill the space allotted to it!  lol8
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »
I get just the one car side of my garage so this is how I maximize space. The four post lift not only stores race parts but serves as a car lift as well. The square bar with an eyelet at both ends (there are two of them. One front and one rear) can be positioned anywhere under the lift. Still use the cherry picker for engine and transaxle R&R. If I need anything that is stored on the four poster, I roll the car out on its cart and lower the lift. The four post lift is tall enough for me to walk under it without hitting my head and I can temporarily hang lighting where desired.

John

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
You must have the anti-gravity system set on high.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #532 on: May 13, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
Nice addition but remember that Subaru [s**t] expands to fill the space allotted to it!

Kind of like Big Mac overalls, Woody. Don?t ask me how I know.

John

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #533 on: June 02, 2021, 11:40:34 PM »
... The majority of other items have been crossed off the list...
Hmmm...
I should have kept in mind the fluidity of such a list. Since I boldly made that statement there are at least a couple of new list items. The third member in the hauler ('59 GMC) measures 164 degrees F after a short drive! And in starting to service it, I found that both rear tires have broken belts!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #534 on: June 03, 2021, 10:37:51 AM »
You are lucky to find bad tires at home and not on the road :clap
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #535 on: June 05, 2021, 02:32:30 AM »
. . . . I found that both rear tires have broken belts!
I have never had that, Jack. What does a broken belt look like?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #536 on: June 05, 2021, 11:33:13 PM »
I should have taken pictures. The non-round shape of the tires' treads is hard to describe, but very obviously not round when jacked up and rotated.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #537 on: June 20, 2021, 12:50:43 AM »
Interesting twist of fate...
Finally got around to [trying to] test run the lakester, but it wouldn't fire. My first look at ignition didn't show up anything, but later the coil (external from mag) primary showed open circuit. Hand bumps made it alternate between open and normal 3 ohms. I tried to order one online, but my credit card didn't work. The next day my card company reported a fraudulent charge on my card, which they cancelled and will mail me a new card. Facing a delay of at least a few days, I decided to "autopsy" the bad coil. After littering the garage with its transformer oil, I disassembled and cleaned it and found the flaky connection in the primary circuit. Repaired it, drilled/tapped the top to take a 1/8" pipe plug after I fill it with new oil. So because of a credit card issue, I saved myself the $275 for a new coil!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2021, 02:14:42 AM »
But lost 5 credit card award points!   :-D 

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2021, 12:19:51 AM »
... lost 5 credit card award points..
I don't understand??
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:22:17 AM by Jack Gifford »