Author Topic: Motorcycle displacement issues...  (Read 39911 times)

Offline RichFox

Motorcycle displacement issues...
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2006, 03:41:43 PM »
Jim; In the roadster class there will always be entry's, I hope. In the blown GMC powered Vega class I have not seen any. Doug Robinson could kill my record any time he felt like. He can't be bothered It was fun when an Ardun/Capri was running against a GMC/Vega. Not much going on since then. But I guess it isn't hurting anything to keep it in the book.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: The secret society
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2006, 06:32:20 PM »
Quote from: JohnR
Quote from: JackD
The secret society is very distastful to me.
And the declined invatation did not come from them but rather a car guy that understands the nature of the organization.

Any society that you refuse to take part in will always remain a secret from you...

You can't always blame "them" for your lack of involvment and then your resultant dissatisfacation with the outcome.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the subject. I have already entered too much into this conversation.

Well "GRASSHOPPER" my participation from the beginning has featured more exposure and results than perhaps you are accustomed to.
Your imagination that included your perception of "BLACK HELICOPTERS" is more a product of your exposure to "PAPER SUBMARINES".

'
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2006, 09:34:18 PM »
I was planning to reply to Panic but you guys took off on me.  Work is the curse of the unsponsored racer.  To digress.  Panic used a '49 350 Triumph as an example.  To turn it into a racer would require a lot of effort as it was never raced and no race program was ever developed for it.  My point exactly.  The 350 Triumph was designed as a commuter bike with no race pretenses by the Triumph company.  If the owner want to race it then he has a lot of work ahead of him.  And good luck to him.  Although looking at the 350 vintage records they are beatable.  A/VG  88.802 mph, M/VG  89.834 mph, M/VF 95.879 mph.  There are other vintage records e.g. partial streamlining etc.  But I think they will suffice.  But to handicap everyone else because someone chose a commuter bike to race is wrong.  LSR means land speed racing, not lotsa slow records.  And what I meant to say regarding no mention of modified production in the rule book was that the records are still listed as modified.  Will they be changed to modified production or have we now got another pile of classes?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
"PILE"
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2006, 07:52:14 AM »
"pile of classes"
 You said a funny but somebody else actually made it.
If somebody doesn't get it from that observation, I guess they just don't get it.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2006, 07:26:18 PM »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
Quote from: panic
But to handicap everyone else because someone chose a commuter bike to race is wrong........... Should these same bikes always win, forever? Not what I call racing.

I just don't see how you could do what you are saying (handicaping based on original design).  Seems to be a real nightmare for someone to have to figure what displacement would be fair for competition between different makes and different models of the same make that are initially the same displacement.

Everyone would be trying to claim that their bike "from the factory" was such a dud that they need to be allowed extra displacement over those they are racing against.

Like I said before, maybe I don't get it. In all the other LSR classes you either pick the best motor as a starting point or plan on trying real hard and maybe spending a lot more on a motor that had less potential to begin with.  No one says you have to take the same path as others before and there can be a lot of enjoyment from what you achieve even if it doesn't result in a record.

c ya, Sum

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2006, 10:10:15 PM »
I'm glad I'm not racing horses.  The breed does'nt seem to have improved much.  They still have four legs and only make one horsepower.  I don't know about the factory one of one bikes at El Mirage or Bonneville.  My Norton started out as a 350 Model 50.  One of many that rolled off the line in Bracebridge St. in 1960.  The engine is an early 70s Weslake speedway engine.  Built by myself.  That statement by itself should be enough to scare people.  The trans is a mish mash of Norton bits.  The mainshaft is 1935 and the gears are varying dates.  Nothing factory about anything on the bike.  All there is on my Norton is a lot of work and experimentation.  Some things worked some things did'nt.  Do I need help with a handicap?  No.  If I don't run fast enough I'll take it home and try something else to see if I can get the extra bit I need.  If someone starts out with a 350 Triumph, fine.  A good bike that with a lot of work could be a record holder.  When you think of you versus the factory.  Remember amateurs built the Ark.  Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »
"But to handicap everyone else because someone chose a commuter bike to race is wrong........... Should these same bikes always win, forever? Not what I call racing. "

I hear you Sum, I picked one of these "Commuter scooters" to compete @ Lake Gairdner with, and believe me, its not the kind of bike anyone with half a brain would pick to try ang go fast on, but I did, and it won't be long untill someone whoops my ass BIG TIME by riding something in the 175cc class that actually develops horsepower when it was originally manufactured, but when that happens, unless it happens on the same kind of commuter scooter I rode,,I'll still feel I have some kind of record belongs to me, and I sure as eggs will beat it,,one day  :wink:
    Happyness is a naked 100 MPH Postie Bike  :shock:
                                                                           Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE BEST
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2006, 06:41:22 AM »
Personnel best is something that not only brings the most satisfaction but is something they can never take away.
Sometimes that is more than the rest but that only lasts until somebody else is.
To make rules to eliminate the the rest is the mark of a sore loser upfront.
With 122 contributions, 3018 views, over 9 pages of stuff, does that tell you something might be wrong ?
It might indicate the deaf are now also blind.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2006, 09:07:32 PM »
Personnel best is the best you can do.  If someone goes faster so be it.   You did your best and thats what counts.  My philosophy has been that a good day is when you get to the start line.  A great day is when you get to the finish line.  If you set a record, you know God smiled on you that day.  If you blow the motor you know God was'nt paying attention and you can send Him the bill.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »
Let's not forget they DO handicap horses with jockey weight.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »
So what do they use to keep the jockeys on the horses?  A jockey strap?

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »
I know we don't need a gazillion more classes, but what about just a class for non-over head valve motors, be it flathead, side valve...of course then the 2 stroke guys will want in.....and rotary Nortons....but i agree that there is just too much subjectivity in having a certain motor handicapped by percentage, it only gets him competitive with a certain range of motors/hp. More than likely you would think it would be to be competitive with the top runners, so then the guys with just SLIGHTLY inferior motors are getting beat by the guy with a VERY inferior motor. Now why am I using a BSA to run against 8 valve Triumphs and HDs....who knows...hopefully because it will be faster.