Author Topic: Local SCTA Tech inspector.  (Read 5682 times)

Offline bharmon77

Local SCTA Tech inspector.
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
A friend just bought a vintage belly tank lakester and wants to have an SCTA tech inspector look at it and make suggestions as to how much has to be done to make the car legal for Bonneville. The car is in north central Ohio, can anyone suggest an SCTA tech. inspector that lives in this part of the country, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, etc.

Thank you,
Bruce Harmon

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Local SCTA Tech inspector.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »
Bruce, let me pile on with this one.  If you are able to make this happen, and an inspector is available here in the upper midwest, weather permitting, I'd be willing to throw the car on the trailer and meet them at their convenience, hopefully killing two birds with one stone.

Beer's on me.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
If he takes a bunch of pictures and posts them it would be a good start for comments on this site. He can be directed from there.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
The nearest that I can think of right now would be Joe Timney - and he's in Townsend, Delaware.  Not exactly right in the neighborhood, for sure.

But Glen's right -- you can gain a huge amount of information from using this Forum for things that might be visible with just photos.  We've all "dreamed" of having an inspector visit to do an on-site inspection, and the dream continues to be just that -- a dream (unless you happen to live near an inspector).  So do what you can to get as much taken care of as possible before trying to get a visit.  And then there's always the old idea of taking the vehicle to an event, even when it's no way near ready to race, just for a good looking-at by inspectors.  You can learn lots by using both of those methods.

And then there's also the less hassle method, by asking an experienced racer - preferably one in a class similar to what you'll run - to visit and give you the benefit of his knowledge. 

See?  There IS a reason to fill in the "location" blank in the Profile when you're joining the Forum -- so that others in the area can figure out that it's worth driving to your place for a look-see and maybe a refreshment.  If you haven't already done so - fill out that sucker now! :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
I like Glens idea, it's free and we all gain a little knowledge.

By the way Jon, I filled out my profile. :-D

Don

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
Post some pictures any way, I just wanna see it! :-o 
Plus it will give the "know-all's" a chance to tell you exactly what you're doing wrong.  :roll:
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »
I noticed, Don.  Thanks.  Next time I'm in suburban Maine, AR I'll call for a visit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »
Bruce--I would contact the Chief Inspector by Email and send as many detailed pictures of the Car as possible. I don`t know that there is anyone close enough to you to do a visit in person. Your other alternative is to wait until the first meeting at Wilmington and get it pre-inspected there. Actually, I would do that anyway. It would help, though, if you were able to get through the current Rulebook and use that as a basis for any questions you might have......The Email Address for Steve Davies (Car Chief) is in there......If you want to take the time to send me copies of your info/questions, I would be glad to sit in, as it were. I am a new Inspector, and would really like to learn as much as I can, and get as good a handle on things as I can, especially related to safety matters....almost Thirty years on the Salt, but I need much more experience......really...... :-o

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:11:58 AM »
I agree. What is the problem with using Section 16 of the rulebook? Contact the correct committee persons.

While everyone on this message board likes to see projects and make comments, none is a 'take to the bank' deal.

Just sayin'

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your reply, I will get some pictures made this week and post them. This is a large tank and the driver is inside the hoops that form the chassis. A design that I am not sure about when it comes to the roll cage requirments and other driver containment rules?

BHarmon

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
When I first Put together my Truck, I pulled the Inspection Form from the SCTA Website, after reading the rule book about three times, then went thru the truck for a self inspection, to the left of each line item on the inspection sheet, the section of the rulebook which applies to the line being inspected is listed for our convenience. Once I passed my own inspection, I was brave enough to bring it to a event.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »
Bruce.....Special Construction has a way bigger `ummmm` factor than your typical doorslammer, so I sympathise. Another good idea is to peruse past Rule books, and especially past Speed Week programmes, and find the entries therein that are close to your project, and try to contact the Owners/builders to get further along. But DW is right, though. Those names are in that section of the Rulebook to help, so that you have a great outcome........ :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
Bruce, as I remember you built a lakester for a 200 MPH class, so you would be a good choice for an initial inspection.  As suggested, use the inspection form to make sure all the bases are covered.   If you have a question on something during your inspection, post pictures and get some comment. 
The hard part of not having a 9xxxx zip is you are a long way from an easy answer. 
We can help but the final word on anything questionable is always the rulebook interpreter. 
My guess is that if you think it is questionable, it needs to be fixed.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O