Author Topic: Dunlop LSR tires.  (Read 14519 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Dunlop LSR tires.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I also run the 700 series (~32" tall or 101" roll out shaved) Dunlops setting a record this year at El Mirage @213. Doug Robinson has run the 30" tire to over 250 @ El Mirage too.

Here's a couple pictures. One of mine the other of Robinson's to give you an idea how they look shaved.

Dynoroom...do the Dunlops give you more traction than the other tires you have run?

Also...do the Dunlaps have a speed and weight rating? The #66 roadster had a time of 290 mph + at Bville and I think they were running the Dunlops.

JL222

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
Doug told me that he runs the M/T tires on the salt and the Dunlop's on the dirt.  But I think he also has run the Dunlop's on the salt, but not at 290.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
I run the Dunlops on the dirt because they are roughly half the price ($375 vs. $735 ea.) of my M/T's. We've run over debris more on the dirt and the Dunlops seem to withstand it better. As far as traction....... what are you NUTS!?,  :-D  we race on dirt!
No, we've run both and my drivers can't tell the difference, 'course they only have about 3 years behind the wheel.

Tony I think your correct about Robinson's tires. 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
I run the Dunlops on the dirt because they are roughly half the price ($375 vs. $735 ea.) of my M/T's. We've run over debris more on the dirt and the Dunlops seem to withstand it better. As far as traction....... what are you NUTS!?,  :-D  we race on dirt!
No, we've run both and my drivers can't tell the difference, 'course they only have about 3 years behind the wheel.

Tony I think your correct about Robinson's tires. 

So where is the best place to find a set of Dunlop racing tires? The one place that was mentioned earlier in the tread get almost $600 a tire. 375$ would be much better...
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline hotschue

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 09:01:26 AM »
Unfortunately there are no deals on Dunlop tires in North America....  Have been running 6.00x16 & 6.50x16 on my vintage car since the 80's....East Coast distributor Sasco Motorsports 877-377-7811...Dave Handy....great guy, racers racer...web site www.sascosports.com
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
Try Roger Kraus Racing $514 and $569. Tires go up with the price of oil. In February I was quoted $700 for 6 tires for my truck. I waited until October and paid $950.

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
Anybody have the circumference of the two sizes of tires? Would be interesting to hear the before and after numbers of shaved tires.

Offline hotschue

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »
If you go to the Sasco site click on tires, then "vintage tires", all the dimensions listed by tire size.....
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
Try Roger Kraus Racing $514 and $569. Tires go up with the price of oil. In February I was quoted $700 for 6 tires for my truck. I waited until October and paid $950.

Tom G. 

Tom...I don't know how much oil is used in 6 tires but i'm sure its not a whole barrel which is currently about $100 a barrel.

To justify a $250 increase because of oil cost [if they used a whole barrel] a barrel of oil would be $350, and diesel would be $14 a gal.

JL222

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
Try Lucas Tires, they sell takes offs very cheap when they have them www.lucasclassictires.com 562-595-6721  I bought some "18 for my '51 Indy car for about $100 per tire.  This is an old list for used Dunlop's from their web site http://www.lucasclassictires.com/Dunlop082807_1704.htm  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »

Tom G. 

Tom...I don't know how much oil is used in 6 tires but i'm sure its not a whole barrel which is currently about $100 a barrel.

To justify a $250 increase because of oil cost [if they used a whole barrel] a barrel of oil would be $350, and diesel would be $14 a gal.

JL222

Hi John,

I really don't know what is going on, but I have been going to the same tire guy for the last 30 plus years. He is without a doubt the most inexpensive guy around me. In February I needed tires for my one ton dually and my Totorhome. I could not afford to buy them both at the same time but got quotes for both trucks. He told me he would only guarantee the price for two weeks because oil was going up and price increases were at least once and sometimes twice a month.

So I decided to bite the bullet and put tires on the totorhome, and they ran me $1800 in Feb. complete with installation. I just looked up the price of those tires, and the best price I can find now is $2300.

So I really don't know what is going on but I do know I am paying more for tires now than earlier in the year. On another note, they say we are not in an inflationary period, but I would disagree on what I have paid for tires. LOL.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
I haven't bought tires in a few years so don't have current information.  When we got the new pickup two years ago it arrived with (factory) snow tires -- more aggressive than mud/snow, for sure.  Those are fine for up here in the winter, but for the other six months I want "highway" tires, so bought a spare complete set (wheels and tires*) from a local HD tire shop - - that also sells to the iron mines in the area.  That shop supplies retreads for all of the new trucks at the mines, getting the trucks when they're brand-new and swapping the factory (highway, 10-ply) for Bandag retreads.  They then sell those unused take-offs to folks like me - for about $100/tire, installed.  I haven't priced things since Jan. '09 - but whatever the cost, those new take-offs are a heck of a bargain.  Got a local industry that does the same thing - equips new trucks with retreads?  Call them before buying. :cheers:

*And having two sets makes it easy to keep good tires on the truck for the season, and I don't wear out the winter tires driving them on dry pavement.  Easy to swap 'em at home, too - no tire changing machine needed.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
Try Lucas Tires, they sell takes offs very cheap when they have them www.lucasclassictires.com 562-595-6721  I bought some "18 for my '51 Indy car for about $100 per tire.  This is an old list for used Dunlop's from their web site http://www.lucasclassictires.com/Dunlop082807_1704.htm  Tony

Gave them a call just a few minutes ago and all they have left is 16".
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team