Author Topic: vmot  (Read 8538 times)

Offline butch nassau

vmot
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
Are later model 4 cylinder engines such as the VW, Alfa Romeo and Honda DOHC legal if they are 125 ci in the vmot class?

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: vmot
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
5.B indicates nope. Wayno

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
Only pre 1948 design engine blocks. Pretty clear.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
From 2011 rulebook:

"The Vintage Oval Track class is for old-style race cars with pre-1948 design engine blocks, i.e., no modern overhead V-8s or blowers are allowed. This class is for vintage engine, old-style open wheel, rear drive, dirt track and Indy, one or two seat cars, with a tapered tail and cowl. "

Thats why it is vintage class. You really need a rulebook.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline butch nassau

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
The ugly  part of this is that I DO have rulebook.

I have a midget body and frame. (Speedway)

The VW engine and the Alfa Romero engine were both designed before 1948.

They are under 125 cubic inches

And,they are not OHV V8s.

But don't worry I have an equally stupid question coming soon on the placement of the cockpit on GRMRs.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 07:01:45 PM »
Butch, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but, your original question asked about "LATE MODEL" VW, ALFA and Honda motors. Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »
Alfa Romeo, not Alfa Romero.  The latter is an Italian actor, I think.

And for you, Wayno -- maybe Butch means that the engines were designed pre-1948 (it is, after all, what he said) but these engines are late model - just with that old design. 

Over to you two now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »

I have a midget body and frame. (Speedway)

if your body and frame look anything thing like this then it is very NOT vintage:

no late model watercooled vw was designed before '48 so you must be thinking aircooled.  well, the only aircooled vw engine that was designed prior to '48 was the 1100.  the vw engine most of us think of when you say aircooled vw are based on the 1600 design which did not emerge until '72 so there's no way you'd use a "modern" aircooled engine in your vintage midget. 

and also, just because an engine manufacturer had an engine that existed prior to '48 doesn't mean you can use the later model descendant in a vintage engine class.  sure, alfa had four cylinder engines prior to '48 but that doesn't mean that you can run a later model dohc four cylinder alfa and try to get us to buy that that later model engine is based on the vintage design.  i don't think so bud.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline butch nassau

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
Well, this kinda' started because all the "shallls" and "shants" seem to apply to the Sprint car size racer.

The engines are only described in cubic inches under the midget portion.

But thanks to everyone...I have this very comopact power package of a Honda 1.8 DOHC and a type I bug trans axle which leads me to the question above

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
For the record, when I typed ALFA in capitals I wasn't yelling. Em R initials. Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:46 PM »
Stretch it... cage it to specs and run a lakester, or just build a lakester frame for you power package. IIRC normally aspirated you only need to go 211.5, record and 2 club...
easy peasy  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
Stretch it... cage it to specs and run a lakester, or just build a lakester frame for you power package. IIRC normally aspirated you only need to go 211.5, record and 2 club...
easy peasy  :cheers:

Firstly, I have to say Butch is pretty diplomatic.

Stainless is right and at the same time he's a stirrer :-D

The special construction classes are much less of a "sandpit" than the vintage classes .....No-one cares what you build if it fits the basic description of a lakester and passes tech. Get a grain hopper put some wheels on it, a drivetrain and no-one will say anything, they might laugh but you can still race it.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:19 PM »
I thought the GRMR question was a good one. All the other Vintage classes specificy US made engines only. I bet the same thing is true about VOT.I would absolutly contact the proper person to answer your question at vintageracecar@aol.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 12:38:23 AM »
Butch: maybe I can help on the cockpit location..............in front of the engine...I got shot down on wanting to sit beside my GMC when I was contemplating a RMR.........Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline butch nassau

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 08:07:02 PM »
I thought the GRMR question was a good one. All the other Vintage classes specificy US made engines only. I bet the same thing is true about VOT.I would absolutly contact the proper person to answer your question at vintageracecar@aol.com

Thanks Slim, I read where the classes are restricted to American bodies but I cant seem to find anything that says the engine must be American.

I'm checking with the source you suggested.