Author Topic: 'Sabotage' to Car at SpeedWeek Impound?  (Read 21652 times)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
Re: 'Sabotage' to Car at SpeedWeek Impound?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
Dirtbags can never trust their own staff.

Robin UK

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
Just to cheer you guys up here's link to an EVO magazine on-line article about the record they took with a Skoda. Given that Volkswagen Audi Group don't sell Skodas in the US, that really is a rare car on the salt. Click on the links at the end of the article for the Blog and pics. Their sister magazine OCTANE also has one-pager on the runs plus a road trip from Bonneville to Las Vegas in a street Skoda. I'd say the overall tone of the articles was very upbeat (he did get a red hat after all) but respectful. Journos don't have their head up a dark place all the time  :lol:.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/skoda-on-the-salt/271696/bonneville_skoda_smashes_record.html

Cheers

Robin

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
They ought to be happy we talked them into running for class instead of T.O.  Hard to get a red hat in that class.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »
Every car on the salt is a rare car, there is no such thing as a matching door slammer or roadster. Thats one of the great things about LSR, its not the place of generic racing.
I have an acquaintance that feels the need to beat down those around him to make himself look good. He thinks it works, everybody else knows it doesn't.
Your buddy thinks we were looking down our nose at him before, well, we are now.
I actually went over to talk to those guys when they were in line but they were not too friendly, unlike Reg Cook's mob from NZ, right behind them in line & the little green Saab guys next ones back.
I got the impression they brought their stuffed shirts with them.
  Sid.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:43:37 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
Never personally met the Skoda folks.  That who you're referring to.  Or the Suzuki deusch (sp?) - bag?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »
The term 'Pit N__i' was affectionately bestowed upon Roy Creel many years ago when the increase in the number of competitors and spectators  required the implementation of tighter controls on after-hours operations.

Roy is also the proud holder of another aka; 'Code Commando', anyone who has filled out an entry in the last few years will relate to the nickname.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
I've also applied the term "Grand Grenadier" to Roy.  Fun watching people take pictures thru his blocks.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
Never personally met the Skoda folks.  That who you're referring to.  Or the Suzuki deusch (sp?) - bag?
Stan, I did meet the Skoda folks and they acted like good humans.  8-) Wayno

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 10:25:35 PM »
Lynda --- just about everyone that read the original post has the same opinion ... BS ... I leave tools / torque wrench / race bikes out over night and no one touchs anything ... hundreds of entries, year after year and one guy has an issue ... I am of the opinion that they dropped the piece somewhere along the route and are crying wolf.

Joe

penny

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
  Well, I look at it this way, it most likely wouldn't be another racer because we are mostly all poor, humble, and know we could borrow the part from the record holder in our class even if he thought we could take his record.  This only leaves either some sleazeball souvenier hunter, or a jealous ex lover or wife.
  Also, anything stolen could and would increase my gas mileage on the way home!
                             Sign me "I am so broke that my soul is for sale" Bob ( but if I sell two thirds of my blood by August 1st, I will make it back for the fifteenth time).

we have a racer at lake gairdner ,a real charming guy , that supplements his travel costs with drink cans .We pay a container deposit of 10 cents per can , our state government repays that 10 cents on the return of the cans as it reduces littering , lee has worked out that his trip costs him a can a kilometer for his small transporter , so he need to collect 1200 cans to make it back to his home in brisbane ,queensland .
before he used a flatbed truck for the race car he used to drive down with his race engine inside the car and people would help change it when he arrived and help change it to return home . so there it is bob you dont have to sell the blood .

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2011, 12:22:56 AM »
I thought I lost my mind building Amy's camaro, turns out she stole it. I think she put it in a jar on the mantel. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Brian

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
I write a monthly column for a car magazine too. That guy had no story or at least didn't have the talent to develop one from his experiences so he resorted to making some drama where none existed. His trash was intended to play to what he believes is his target audience and he was stretching it out to please his editor.

He is a pathetic writer, an even more pathetic human and I am sure he considers himself a real car guy.

What a twerp.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 06:08:44 AM »
" Nazis is the other "N" word.  "

my wife is Lovingly is referred to as the house NAZIS   :-D it is a term of endearment --unless of course she thinks I am not behaving properly toward "HER" house then she has the audacity to remind me she is also "PARTS CHECK SIGNER" :-o  YMMV
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Yea Sparky, my Linda came home from work early and caught me building a motor on the wet bar in the basement... now that she has retired we won't see that activity any more...  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
Yea Sparky, my Linda came home from work early and caught me building a motor on the wet bar in the basement... now that she has retired we won't see that activity any more...  :roll:
 :cheers:

Wait a minute!  She left all her makeup and hairspray in the bathroom, and the kitchen counter is probably covered with appliances, so you compromised twice on this one!  :|

Did you offer her a drink to smooth things over?  :cheers:

Actually, I know that Kate occasionally likes to ask "What is this, and why is it on the dining room table?" - It gives her the opportunity to make us a reservation.  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: