Author Topic: 'Sabotage' to Car at SpeedWeek Impound?  (Read 21656 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
'Sabotage' to Car at SpeedWeek Impound?
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
From Sam Mitani's article in Road & Track on his F/BGC 203.720 mph record http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/motorsports/the-speed-locker:

We were up at dawn the next morning. Upon getting to the start line, we experienced a setback—some scoundrel had sabotaged our car overnight in impound, removing part of the safety harness. But thanks to SCTA officials, they gave us time to go buy and install a new one. I quietly hoped that the big rat didn’t mess with the suspension or steering. I was concerned for my survival.

Is he over-dramatizing whatever happened?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 'Sabotage' to Car at SpeedWeek Impound?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
I would give the writer more credence if he had gone into more detail as to the nature of the "sabotage".  As to his implication that there is a bias against Japanese cars, I simply don't see it.

Are we sure he didn't screw up something himself?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:28:27 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »
Sorry... gotta call Bentley...
I can't imagine anyone messing with another persons vehicle in impound.  There are too many folks there and the last guy off the salt is frequently the guy that runs impound.  

With that said, I wonder what part of the harness he lost... or lost track of after the run.  

Maybe someone has more info, but I see that accusation as an affront to all of us in this sport.  We don't lock our stuff up, never have, never needed to, our neighbor may need to borrow a wrench....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:44:22 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
This story can only be called incredible ...

According to Merriam Webster's Dictionary, the definition of ;

INCREDIBLE
too extraordinary and improbable to be believed <making incredible claims

Offline RansomT

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
After looking at the pictures, got a question.  Can you modify and extend the front bumper downward to make it an air dam in BGC ?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
missing hans device???? ???:-o Left in the room? ???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:58:24 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:47 PM »
Anyone running a book on this?, I want to place fifty bucks on that piece of harness turning up, somewhere in the car or trailer, and I'd like to place a hundred on us never hearing when it does. In my job I hear lots of crazy stories some just ludicrous but some that could be believable , the only common thread is they never include any liability on behalf of the source, like this one.

Maybe someone has more info, but I see that accusation as an affront to all of us in this sport

yep, It doesn't take much clear thinking to consider what motive there might be, and what alternatives someone could have employed if they wanted to "sabotage" the car....there's any number of ways of telling people that a piece of the harness was missing, as Bob says it's a reckless slur.......

fro instance, "when we got to the start we realised that part of the harness was missing, it still hasn't materialized, try as we might we couldn't think how this could have happened, fortunately we were given the opportunity to buy and fit a replacement........" I think it's called diplomacy, but it is also known as "manning up".

Waiting to collect. :wink: :roll:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:03:00 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
Well, I'm far from experienced at the salt, but based on what I experienced, INCREDIBLE seems an appropriate description.

People like Don Ferguson, who I had never met, loaned us QC gears, other people loaned us tools, and even others offered help.

Hardly seems like the kind of people that would stoop to sabotage!

Dr Goggles, you're probably right about finding it later! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
They had to pull the bottom of the air dam back to make backup pass. Didn't impress me. As my Mother taught me thats the nicest thing I can say.

We won't see that group again.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:10:07 PM »
That's pretty hard to believe.  And the SW turnout smaller than 07?  Sure didn't seem like it to me.  Looking at my data (I keep records of the entry lists and run logs just cuz I'm nucking futz) and the numbers on the SCTA site show 566 entries for 2011 and 521 in 07.  Something kinda screwy there.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:08 PM »
.....now the web-page has gone missing........it'll be in the trailer too, ........

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
  I have heard of sabotage twice. The Jones and Cecatto stude [1st unblown gas coupe to 200mph I believe] loosened rear quickchange cover and Ron Joelefts street roadster [ engine wouldn't turn over, dirt between valve and head] figured someone took a paper roll tube, filled it with dirt, opened injectors and poured.
 Pino Cecatto is a pro mechanic so I doubt that bolts were loose.
  From what I remember both were in inpound.

The suspects names are out there ,so don't be to smug thinking you got off scott free

JL222
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:41:58 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »

Just remembered one more, Dick Griffens Camaro tire was slashed, but in Wendover while on trailer.

JL222

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 02:29:56 AM »
Oooohhh i remember that car and Sam very will..... Tom Habrzyk is a good friend and a very sharp EFI guy... He's the 1 who did the fuel system on my liner, Pete Aardema's liner and sorted Randy's blown 500 system... Tom is 1 very sharp kid.... They had a grocery list of stuff to fix on the first "tech" inspection and since Tom pitted right next to us asked me to help get it sorted and through inspection.... That Sam guy was a total arrogant azzhole and i even told Tom and Richard to get him the "ef" out of the pit or his car wasnt gonna make it through tech.... i can ask Tommy about this the next time i talk to him but im pretty sure it's BS.... that Sam buy is a real azz...  i agree with Dan, i dont think well see Sam again but im really sure Tommy will be back out and probably helping out with my liner in 2012
Kent