Author Topic: Save the Salt  (Read 17641 times)

Offline stuartg@sema.org

• New folks
Re: Save the Salt
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the discussion about the name -- Bonneville Salt Flats (BSF) -- and encouraging people to use "Bonneville Intentional Speedway" or some variation.  I think the BSF name falls into three categories: legal, general public use, symbolic.

For legal, the government recognizes “Bonneville Salt Flats” as referring to the geographic area north of I-80 which supports racing activities.   Numerous studies, reports, memos and other documents simply reference “Bonneville Salt Flats.”  For its listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the area is designated at the “Bonneville Salt Flats Race Track.”  It is then defined as 36,650 acres of the Bonneville Salt Flats.  Hence, it captures both terms. 

I would suspect the general public associates "Bonneville Salt Flats" with the racing activity, given the decades of simplified reference to BSF.  As a symbolic measure, I think it is fine to reference the Bonneville Salt Flats Race Track and encourage others to do so, but I think most of the attention should just be placed on restoration of the area. 

As a side note, the first time I read the National Register listing for the “Bonneville Salt Flats Race Track” I was afraid the designation was limited to the race track(s).  I was subsequently pleased to learn it encompassed nearly 37,000 acres.

Offline dw230

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
You can't do any better than this last post.

Thank you Stuart - I am sure that everyone on this board will be available to assist in any way possible.

Dan Warner
President
Bonneville 200 MPH Club

www.savethesalt.org
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »
Stuart sent you an email the other day - please see your private message.

Larry

Offline RogerL

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »
i want to chime in here again. it appears highly likely the BLM is going to approve Alternative B via the EA. that is going to be really good news for for Bonneville in general. it will implement, for the very first time a mandatory 1 for 1 replacement of the salt extracted during the mining process. it quite well will be a game changer for the preservation of the flats. the implementation of Alternative B will not be the ultimate solution but a significant first step. those of you that may have taken time to read the response to the EA by the STS Coalition know that there are strong words that suggest the BLM needs to do more that just stabilize the current situation, there needs to be some remedial action as well. the STS has put the BLM on notice that it is derelict in not doing it's duty to preserve the flats and suggests further action is required. interestingly, there seems to be interest in preserving the flats at the highest levels of Congress.

there are a lot of folks to thank for this effort, i won't attempt to mention names at the risk of leaving someone out, but look at the names of prominent individuals (yours truly excluded) that are a part of the STS and make a point of thanking them the next time you bump into them on the salt. it seems that the recent leadership assumed by SEMA has provided the spark to get things moving. i have been attending events at Bonneville since the late 60's, and the recent movement towards preserving the salt flats is very significant and provides some optimism that we will be able to see a continued use by us racers for years to come. there will certainly be yearly perturbations due to weather, etc. but clearly there is about to be a turn for the good. Dang, it just might be that we will be entering a new era in 2012.

Roger L

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »
I dont want to seem overly pessimistic here but that all sounds like a "definite maybe". I'll believe it when I see it & I hope its soon.
I also dont believe I've heard anybody mention the lack of "quality salt" that was pumped back in during the so called test period in the 90's. The quantity increased but the quality diminished. The brilliant white went away to be replaced by that yellowish stuff that crumbled like a bowl of wet sugar & thats still what is there today, just a whole lot less of it. Its like the glue is just not in it any more.
  Sid.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 12:46:32 AM »
Well it is time to make an announcement here (I will start a separate thread in a minute).
I have put together a new web page dealing with the salt conditions at Bonneville.
This is the first public announcement for it. The page is brand new, so it is a beta release and I may change things as I hear feed back on the site.
I just finished coding them yesterday. Please see the other thread at:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10651.0.html

The web page is:

bonnevillesaltwatch.org

Larry

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:02 PM »
  Is this a small part of the problem? They don't understand. :? :? :?
Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHUNK-SALT-BONNEVILLE-SALT-FLATS-GREAT-DISPLAY-SPECIMEN-/330656652930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfcac1e82
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »
Did the BLM grant them a commercial mining permit?

Yeah, we routinely bring more home packed under our wheel wells and in our foot wells, but certainly not with the intent to profit from it.

You're right, Doug - they don't understand.

The sad part is that they were there, and they still don't get it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
To heck with it - these SOB's pissed me off, so I'm going to be the penile device.

Reported it to E-Bay, as follows -

Detailed Reason

The item in this listing is an artifact, fossil, or relic taken from federal or state public land or Native American land or battlefield.

Let 'em scream . . .

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Is it worth reporting to one of the government agencies as well? May as well nip this one in the bud.

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »
E-bay's a lot more efficient than the Feds, and probably has sharper lawyers. 

Let's see what happens.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 12:50:12 AM »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
i sent a pm to the people selling the salt on ebay told them to please put it back its thin already, i really did!  every one should pm them and do the same, wish they would have put a buy it now. :roll:

Offline mkilger

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
funny the people pm me back and said the salt was taken from the edge of the race tack after racing was done for the year????? :roll: