Author Topic: Save the Salt  (Read 17646 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Save the Salt
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 12:01:34 AM »
Wow!

Another great repy from a concerned racer.

Doc,

Please forward these thoughts to Stuart. I believe that any input from current users can be benefical to the cause.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »
i keep trying to convince everyone who stays out at the bend in the road for FREE that the least they could do is turn that savings into a donation to STS.  don't know how many have actually done it.  i once threatened to walk around from camp to camp with a collection jar but i seem to never have the time.  $50 from each spot would make a nice donation though.
[/quote

Or hook up the Save The Salt trailer and stop along the spectator line in different places and  announce the salt depletion problem over the radio and c-b and to please donate.

A few banners before, at bend in the road and before lands end for a reminder to donate.

JL222

good idea.  if we can't get people to the trailer to donate then we can bring the trailer to them.

Nathan, I will do that with you next summer, you know I am not bashfull at all!~

oh yeah, i know!
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline crawford

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
I enjoy hearing everyones ideas on saving the salt, makes for interesting reading. Also one thing that is over looked is that the Salt Flats are 100 square miles, not just the section you race on.
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  To the others -- believe it or not, I've heard that some of the folks in Wendover went to school, grew up, and moved away -- without ever going out to the salt flats.  Mike:  maybe you could help us by putting together a trip out there for a school class or such.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:32:38 AM »
Got my latest Street Rodder Magazine today. The Editorial page contains a copy of a letter sent as a response by Utah Senator Orrin Hatch to a letter expressing our concerns. It is short, but reading between the lines makes for some interesting conclusions. I would hope that we become a visible prescence-- next year in particular, hmmm? :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
Hey House, for those of us that dont get the mag, what was the gist of the article?
  Sid.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline little max

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
Every time I`ve go back to the salt I bring back what salt I can gather up off the vehicle,trailer,bike ect.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:41:16 AM »
Doug--It`s a different one than the link you have. It`s in Brian Brennan`s Start Up Column. The letter itself, from Senator Hatch, basically states that the BLM can`t corralate Salt Loss to Mining ( ahem...) and that the Salt Laydown project, currently dormant, will be restarting soon ( Huh?...) .....Sid...Just go up to the Safeway in Pocatello and read the thing on the Rack. Knowing you, you`ll thumb through it, then put it back... :evil:...Will be calling this weekend to catch up.... :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »
Senator Hatch's letter was little more than a courtesy acknowledgement of the receipt of the constituent's letter.

I'll say it again - we've got to take control of the language on this one, or they'll suck the salt right out from underneath us.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
FYI, I received this Save the Salt message for the 2012 rulebook this morning. The message was written by SEMA's Stuart Gosswein this year. This was the last piece missing from the rulebook which will go to the printer Wed. morning:

A MESSAGE FROM SAVE THE SALT

The salt flats were stable throughout the 2011 racing season.  The salt crust was generally smooth and hard but continues to be thin throughout, with a diminished salt bed at both ends of the tracks.

The Save the Salt Foundation has joined forces with a diverse group of racing enthusiast organizations known as the “Save the Salt Coalition” to work with Intrepid Potash - Wendover, LLC on a salt replenishment program. 

Toward that goal, Intrepid has proposed “Alternative B” for inclusion within the BLM’s “Environmental Assessment” of the current mining operation.  Alternative B would essentially restart the 1997-2002 program, make it mandatory and verifiable, and require a minimum one-for-one replacement of salt that has been removed for potash mining.  The Coalition has recommended that the BLM adopt Alternative B when it issues a final EA in 2012. 

Intrepid plans to start pumping in February.  The Save the Salt Foundation and Coalition members thank Intrepid for continuing its pumping program, making it measurable and verifiable, and assisting the racing community with voluntary supplemental initiatives to replenish the salt. 

The Save the Salt Foundation has established a fundraising program for the supplemental replenishment programs, with 100% percent of the contributions to be used for restoring the salt flats.  For more information, visit www.savethesalt.org 

The Save the Salt Board would like to thank every one of you for your generous donations and continued support.

HAVE A SAFE AND FAST 2012 RACING SEASON!

Chairman - Larry Volk                        Advisory Board
Vice Chairman - Mike Waters             Bonner Denton -  Technical
Secretary - Donny Cummins               Rick Vesco - History         
Treasure - Russ Eyres                       Doug Macmillian -Technical
BNI Rep - Roy Creel                           Miriam Mcmillian - Media Liaison         
USFRA Rep Gary Wilkerson                Russ Deane -  Counsel                                                 
Special Events - Mike Cook                       
BUB Rep - Dennis Manning                         

For information on Save the Salt,
Please contact Larry Volk, Chairman 801-292-5425
For the most up-to-date information on Save the Salt, please visit the SCTA/BNI website at www.scta-bni.org under NEWS.
To make a donation, please send your check or money order to:
SAVE the SALT TREASURER
Russ Eyres
3673 Millikin St., San Diego, CA 92122
858-453-3044 hm, 858-228-6256 cell
reyres@san.rr.com

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »
House, thats a hundred mile drive for that one mate!

I figured Hatch would have just been doing some political gum-flapping on this one.
Looks like the BLM have their head up their a$$, the Utah State Gov has never had any interest in Wendover & would really prefer it just went away.
Do we have the ability to break out the big guns? "National TV".
Those responsible for the extream salt depletion need to be embarrassed into stepping up to solve the problem instead of sweeping it under the rug. Those responsible for it & those responsible for allowing it.
  Sid-Pi$$ed.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »
The article is good news, we have to do our part now and police the salt at our meets so that we don't end up becoming the bad guys.  The conditions of the pits, last year after the BUB meet was deploreable.  It took me 45 minutes to clean up the cigarette buts, and garbage left behind, before setting up my Pitt for WOS.  At the finals I noticed every smoker before or leaving the johns throw there buts on the salt.  I know that last sentence set me up for ridicule, no I don't normally stare at the blue rooms.  Sitting in the tech trailer waiting for the rain to stop, had a birds eye view of the area.  I did see a pop up at speed week that had Earth First on it, the media from these groups could be very detrimental unless we take the initiative to keep our playground white.   :x

Steve   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
Just realized that the STS web site finally started offering to donate via paypal - which makes it a lot easier to be spontaneous and give by hitting a few buttons on your computer keyboard, instead of having to write and mail a check  - I'm now officially a "friend" of the salt . . .
Who Has More Fun?

Offline will6er

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »
Alternate B has the potential to be a prototype for environmental protection. Imagine, the government (BLM), industry (Intrepid), and sportsmen (all the racing organizations) working together to preserve and utilize a natural, and national, resource. I would hope that Intrepid could return more than they remove to start a comeback of the Salt.

Will