Author Topic: Engine Cases M vs A How about This  (Read 32035 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The fatal flaw.
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2006, 11:28:15 AM »
It doesn't take a genius to know that S + S cases come on a number of bikes that are legal production now and therefore eligible for class M now.
"Another solution to a question and problem that nobody had."
" The blind are trying to lead the deaf off the edge of their flat planet."
"Run Forest Run!"

OBTW: The idea I had for "Under Two Club" hats would dishonor the many fine record holders under 200mph that don't deserve the put down that is found in stupid rules and rulers. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Lessons learned by some not others.
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
The Monty Python movie "The Meaning of Life" comes to mind. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Actually
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
Nothing got bought that HD didn't already own. At Bonneville, production is defined as 500 units. There are a number of HD Clone brands that qualify for Bonneville Production and are equipped with S +   S cases as built and shipped.
Bikers are smarter than the rulers give them credit for.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I am glad.
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »
I am glad Scott is so smart and Class-C doesn't exist in SCTA.
The existing SCTA rulers can't take credit for either one of those well considered items. :wink:

Offline mtkawboy

Engine Cases M vs A How about This
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2006, 01:31:24 PM »
While Buell was recasting the cases stronger they figured they might as well make them fit cylinders with 4.08 bores too, and slip in a 3.125 stoke crank so it could turn 8800. Dont even ask how the dual 62mm thottle bodies or the XR750 appearing heads came to be. The 1338 cc's is a nice advantage over the 600's too except for the third pit stop for fuel that the rest didnt need because it got 18 laps per tank in a 60 lap race. Might be strong on a shorter track but it gives a whole new meaning to stretching the rules. Does this mean its legal at Bonneville?

jprovo

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 02:13:26 PM »
Quote from: mtkawboy
While Buell was recasting the cases stronger they figured they might as well make them fit cylinders with 4.08 bores too, and slip in a 3.125 stoke crank so it could turn 8800. Dont even ask how the dual 62mm thottle bodies or the XR750 appearing heads came to be. The 1338 cc's is a nice advantage over the 600's too except for the third pit stop for fuel that the rest didnt need because it got 18 laps per tank in a 60 lap race. Might be strong on a shorter track but it gives a whole new meaning to stretching the rules. Does this mean its legal at Bonneville?

Buell pulled a Smokey Yunick interpretation of the rules, and more power to them for it. The rest of the competitiors have been doing the same thing for years, they've just been a little more subtle about it. I guess it bugs you about the advantage given to aircooled twins over water cooled Fours and Twins, but I'm not seeing Buell becoming an overdog at this point with the extra displacement. We'll see how Buell actually does as they develop the bike.

WRT to the cylinder heads and the throttle bodies, the AMA wrote the rules: "3.Twin-cylinder air-cooled motorcycles: Engine modifications are unlimited." Buell just took advantage of them.

I'd doubt that it's legal for the M-class at Bonneville, but since the rules are so open (like what defines a racebike? The engine or the frame?) I'm sure that we'll have a few more people pushing the envelope there as well.

johnrobinson

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »
I hold a record under 200. H/GCC 144.396, and would be damn proud to wear such a hat.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Build 450 more
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »
and they qualify for production at Bonneville that has always allowed any modification inside the motor.
And with so many HD clones out there that qualify for production already with S + S cases now, I think I see the light.
With only 50 bikes required for Datona, who do you think spent the most money and the least % of their assets? You only get 1 guess. You have a choice between shot in foot and egg on face. The big competition between them will be for the model designation "BS". One will stand for "Buell Sports" and the other would be " Been Snookered". I have another they would not like.
That's racing.

aswracing

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 09:25:44 PM »
Dont even ask how the dual 62mm thottle bodies or the XR750 appearing heads came to be. The 1338 cc's is a nice advantage over the 600's too except for the third pit stop for fuel that the rest didnt need because it got 18 laps per tank in a 60 lap race.

Just a couple minor points. Those heads aren't even remotely similar to XR750 heads. And while I don't have any fuel consumption data, I suspect the early pit stops had more to do with the Buell's fuel-in-frame design which results in significantly lower fuel capacity than the other bikes.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SOMEBODY
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
Help aswracing with his PM. :wink:

aswracing

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2006, 09:52:24 PM »
You trying to "provoke" me again? :lol:

Damn, that's embarrassing. I didn't even know this board had a PM system until just now. I had messages sent to me MONTHS ago. Sorry guys, didn't intend to snub anybody  :oops:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TYPICAL
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2006, 09:58:03 PM »
Quote from: aswracing
You trying to "provoke" me again? :lol:

Damn, that's embarrassing. I didn't even know this board had a PM system until just now. I had messages sent to me MONTHS ago. Sorry guys, didn't intend to snub anybody  :oops:

Typical of a short fused biker. LOL :wink:

Buell Dyno Guy

3.125 is a Stock XB9 / Blast Stroke
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2006, 03:29:51 AM »
While Buell was recasting the cases stronger they figured they might as well make them fit cylinders with 4.08 bores too, and slip in a 3.125 stoke crank so it could turn 8800.

The largest a stock Buell XB case can go to supports a 3 7/8 bore so a new casting was required to support the 4.080 bore. But all the smaller XB9's use a 3.125 crank and with just minor head mods can spin to 8K+. The new crank is a pork chop design and with the taller cases uses longer stronger rods but still the stock 3.125 OEM stroke. ... Terry

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »
Im no Buell expert but I doubt they just stuck a stock crank in it after all that work. The whole deal would make Smoky Yunick smile. I personally like it and aparently so does the AMA and hope it does well. It has to do better then their last attempt anyway, if nothing else the technology will make better Buells. I like Harleys and I own one but not a Buell, a Fatboy. Rode one at Daytona and would like to have one.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That would defeat the purpose. ?
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2006, 06:35:22 PM »
The purpose and method to the madness seems to be like Bonneville has deteriorated to and that is the "Dumbing down of the rules to suit the rulers." :roll: