Author Topic: Vintage motor(bike) question...electronic reactive ignition?  (Read 8218 times)

Baatfam

Vintage motor(bike) question...electronic reactive ignition?
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:58:49 AM »
Page 113, 7.J.10, Class VG and VF:
Adds three new sentences.
Same as Class G or F, except that the class is limited to motorcycle engines produced prior to 1956. For
reasons of historical authenticity, vintage engine modifications are restricted to older technology
levels, so far as is practical. Accordingly, in classes VF, VG, VBF and VBG, newer technologies,
such as EFI, electronic reactive ignition systems, are not in keeping with the spirit of the Vintage
Classes and are not allowed. Computers are allowed for data collection purposes only.
ADDED FOR CONSISTANCTY TO CAR RULES AND TO MAINTAIN THE SPIRIT OF VINTAGE
RACING

Forgive my ignorance, but are they talking about a basic magnet triggered, high output ignition?  

Thanks,
Bob T.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 05:11:51 PM »
What I think they mean is if it does'nt have points its illegal.  I could be wrong.  They way the rulebook is going we will soon need a lawyer to interpret it for us.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Try again
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 05:24:32 AM »
Quote from: Nortonist 592
What I think they mean is if it doesn't have points its illegal.  I could be wrong.  They way the rulebook is going we will soon need a lawyer to interpret it for us.

Do they not understand how easy it is to trigger a CDI or MSD ignition that is powerful enough to blow the wires off and spark as much and as often you like with points ?
Has the objective been confused with the reality ? :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Baatfam

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 08:23:19 AM »
A few thoughts....
1.  The use of the phrase, ...such as..., seems to leave it open for anything they deem too modern to be illegal.  So what else is illegal, belt drives?

newer technologies, such as EFI, electronic reactive ignition systems, are not in keeping with the spirit of the Vintage Classes and are not allowed.

2.  I still don't understand the what "reactive" ignition is...

And 3.  I like the idea of adapting modern tech to old tech...I think it's fun, but I guess not everyone else does.

The idea of an electronic fuel injected, computor controled high output ignition, belt driven primary, flat head single....is just cool to me
 8)

Still lookin' for a good answer to number 2.

Later,
Bob T.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It depends
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
Depends have a lot to do with it.
It depends on their"Reaction" to what ever it is you do and if they like it or you.
The loop hole is left open so you can help dig it.
I know I do.
Driving a Turbo with a belt for Vintage is one of the best unless you are a bike motor then an exhaust driven Turbo is OK for Vintage because it was used on airplanes in the Big War.
Don't forget the impotence of Depends. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
What ever happened to the idea of presenting your ideas to a motorcycle tech person as listed in the rule book rather than spending a weekend attempting to figure out a post from Jack D?

DW

Baatfam

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 11:28:12 AM »
Quote from: dwarner
What ever happened to the idea of presenting your ideas to a motorcycle tech person as listed in the rule book rather than spending a weekend attempting to figure out a post from Jack D?

DW

First I would need an idea...LOL...
But before I can come up with ideas, I need to understand the rules.
I had a question about the new rules, so I posted it in the "LSR Rule Questions" forum...I am new, so I hope I didn't step on any toes.
I just wanted to understand what "electronic reactive ignition systems" encompass.

As for JackD....I've only been reading this forum for a few months, but I've never had a problem understanding him... :wink:

Later,
Bob T.

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 11:36:29 AM »
As for JackD....I've only been reading this forum for a few months, but I've never had a problem understanding him...

Oh no!! Understanding Jack D, what is this world coming to?  :shock:

Baatfam

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »
As for JackD....I've only been reading this forum for a few months, but I've never had a problem understanding him...

Oh no!! Understanding Jack D, what is this world coming to?  :shock:

Ok, ok....maybe not ALL the time... :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
As was stated a number of times.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 12:17:21 PM »

DW

Questions, observations,and suggestions to the motorcycle tech in various formats have be ignored, and actually lied about in answer to problems created by the rules maker.
Other than that, it's really kinda smooth.
The car stuff is really doing OK. I wonder why the bikes seem to be so different ?
Understanding others and the rules is often a reach and more for some than others. The Turbo allowance for Vintage bikes and not cars is one of those reaches that DEPEND on so much.
The aftermarket case deal for the HD bikes is just another wiener.
"Is the design failing or is it failing by design ?"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 12:53:21 PM »
I agree that a point and condensor system is required.

"electronic" would mean anything remotely modern. CDI, Hall Effect, etc. wouldn't pass tech.

"reactive" means a curve changer. If the original had a centrifigal advance it would be ok, but any electronic methods of changing the spark advance wouldn't be.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Salty Blaster

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »
Than, why do the rule makers not recognize that CDI has been retro fitted to most vintage race bikes for the last fifteen years? Example: Vintage Triumphs have been using and setting records with "reactive" ignitions for a long time ... and now we are to regress! The CDI is almost a given on a serious high speed Vintage racer as it basically fits where the original points and condenser go.

Now, I suppose the Rulers have what they want. The real question is ... Why now?

It kind of reminds me of some current parallels of religious factions doing their best to hold their masses to 15Th century standards and not move in to the 21 century. I know the analogy is probably over the top!
Go faster, just don't eat the salt!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »
2 my understanding electronic ignition is still legal. I ran points on both of my vintage bikes last year and even set a record with one. the best guy 2 ask is the tech rep, Russ Odaly. you can find a link to his email address on the scta web site. www.scts-bni.org click on the tech board 2 the left and see his address. It really is the best way to get clarification on a specific rule. and then if you dont like the answer ya get, come back to this website and bitch about it like I do. but dont get caught cheating, they can take away all your points for the last year and your girlfriends points too. they will even take away your points for the first race of the new season and make you start from the back of the line. make sure your legal!
god I love this web site!!!!
kent

bak189

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 10:20:45 PM »
Oh NO....Oh NO......a couple of years ago we set a record in Vintage with a pre-unit Triumph...
it had a ARD Mag with NO points...
and now we will loose our record...
and have to start from the back of the longest line....Oh NO...Oh NO

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
VICTIMIZED
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 10:59:29 PM »
I feel so used and Bob must feel so dirty.
Could it be that the rule is a "Solution in search of a problem"?
Or maybe "The answer to a question that nobody asked"?
Inquiring minds want to know, "Who let the dog out"?
Be careful where you step. :roll: