Author Topic: ECTA "end of the line" plaques  (Read 18855 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
ECTA "end of the line" plaques
« on: October 19, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
Nancy came up with a great idea - and both of us would like your input as to how to do these.  I'll attach a photo of our first draft - a sample which will be fine-tuned and fixed up and such.  Don't bother telling me that the tail fin of the tank isn't opaque and stuff like that.

Okay - here's what we want from youse guys:  Size, material, content, maybe more.

For size - well, we make dash plaques for a local hot rod club's summer cruise night -- and those are 3 1/2 wide by 2 high -- the size of a business card.  We figure that there's at least that much room on the dashboard of most race vehicles.  But maybe you'd rather have the plaque in a bigger size so it's frameable for your fireplace lintel.  Size, please.  I would muchly prefer it if we only make one size, so get your debating about the size over and done with really soon.

Material:  This sample was made on silver backing with black lettering - METAL.  It's pretty thin aluminum sheet and engraves well.  But it doesn't bend to dash board contours as well as a thin plastic would bend.  Also -- I can't use the laser to pre-drill holes for mounting on the laser, either.  I can mark the corners at  coordinated positions so you'll know where to drill.  We DO INTEND to supply double-sided sticky tape to mount these things on your dash - or whatever.  If they get done in plastic -- well, the plastic is just as likely to last forever as the metal, 'specially since this plaque will probably be indoors (dashboard or house).  Even if you put it in full sunlight it'll last well into your old age.  Plastic is a softer material than the metal so it'll be shapeable to your dash contours more easily than will be metal.  The two materials engrave about the same - so let me know which you prefer.  Again - get your yammering done, about which it oughta be before you make a final commitment so I don't have to fiddle around.  Time's short, you know.  Color of this one is black engraving on silver background -- but we've got some other colors in stock.  Not lots of them, but some.  It takes a week or so to get more material in from the vendor - so figure out what you'd like really soon, hey?  By the color way -- the engraving process is two-color only - - background and text.  That's the way it goes.

We have to have these completed by Wednesday evening next week (the 26st of October) 'cause we leave bright and early the next morning.

Content:  The belly tank and text below the tank are the "old" ECTA logo -- we want those on there for sure.  Nancy suggested the banner that's above, and that's where I put the dates of the Maxton event (or did Maxton per se start going at a different date?).  But speking of content - I could easily put stuff like your vehicle number, top speed, your name, etc.  If I try to get all of that into the small space -- it'll be there, but you'll need a good pair of glasses to read the tiny type.

More:  Would you prefer a large size so you can put it on the wall of your race trailer or house of bathroom?  It'll be a little most costly if you want 'em big -- but it should be THAT much more.  Other more:  What else would you like us to do with the design of the plaques?

Oh, yeah -- Please be aware that we can take an order from you later than next week -- but you won't get it/them at the event itself.  We'll mail it to you later -- and you'll get the fun privilege of paying a couple of bucks for postage.

Finally:  Cost will be $10/each for the small size, and $15 if you choose the largest (11 wide x 8 1/2 tall) size.  I can make 'em any size, but smaller is better so we don't run out of material before we hit the road.

Enough.  Get to thinking and maybe even sending me a PM with your orders.  As usual, pay through the Paypal buttons here and there on the site.We'll give you 10% off on the entire order (well, save for postage) if you order three or more of your particular design.

Photo follows:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: ECTA "end of the line" plaques
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »
Great idea Nancy, and Slim.

Hey folks how about 3x5, index card size on plastic. would give a little more room for personnal info and easier to read. Not to mention will last.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
Jon, you will need a form for info on the plaques with mail  to info
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I like what you've done here - and a HUZZAH for a great idea.  Put me in for 2 (one for me and one for Bro Dave) and I'll pay you in $$ at the track if that's OK.  I'll want mine for a dash plaque on the Camaro even though we're taking Mom's car to the actual event.  It'll be sold following the meet and somehow doubt the future owner will want this plaque permanently affixed.  No idea what Dave will do with his.  The business card size with the generic lettering is great by me.

GREAT concept
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
Slim - metal - small - it is going on the race bike --- I will PM later - great idea.

Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
I know that I'll need mailing addresses and such, Glen.  I'm just trying to get the basic plaque designed.  But to save everyone the hassle of trying to make yet another post -- please include name and address either on this topic when you say you want one or more plaques -- or send a PM/email to me if you don't want your mailing address splashed across the internet.

Okay?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:18:35 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:51:42 AM »
I agree with Joe. Make them small, metal, & black on silver. I agree with all that this is a great idea Jon. I will take 3 on site.
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »
I agree with everything Jarl just posted, but will only get two right now. Perhaps variables such as materials (colors with plastic?), personal info and size could be options, at an appropriate increase in cost, available later.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/a119d6ea#/a119d6ea/8

If that'll open for you -- you'll see a couple of the pages of the engraving stock/colors that we can get.  If it doesn't -- well, we can get lots of colors.  Remember, though -- only two at a time.

By the other way, here's a photo of the final design of the plaque.  Size is 4w x 2.5h.  Corners are rounded so you don't scratch the dashboard (or your fingertips).  I fixed the little flaws on the tailfin and the "ECTA".

PS  No, I can't post it in a form that'll allow enlarging.  It's a ".dwg" file and the Forum software doesn't allow them.  I'll fiddle with it when I'm not at work - or one of you is welcome to do so if it's important.  Otherwise you are welcome to go the the Seldom Seen Slim album on www.photobucket.com and select "Kudos Laser stuff".  It's the first one - and when you click on it there it'll enlarge.  Sorry for the bother -- but that'll have to do for now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:32:08 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
Slim, I'll take one. Can I pick up and pay for it on my way down to or back from thanksgiving break? PayPal is kind of hard for me.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
Mr. Slim we will take 2 small.We'll pick them up at the meet. thanks. they look real good.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline petercalaguiro

• May 2015
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
John,
 One for me please. I will pay at the track.
 Thanks,
 Peter
Peter
02G0250

Offline t russell

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
I need 2 Jon at the track if you can thanks
terry

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
You can put me down for one Jon.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:25 PM »
I'll also take 2 at the track Jon.  Thanks!