Author Topic: National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?  (Read 27238 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: National/International Governing Body for Mile & Kilo Venues?
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
Well,  Joe, that's what separates the wheat from the chaff, measuring the engine for proper class after a record.  Otherwise, it's a t-shirt or hat event to a fair amount of onlookers not involved.  LSR, but with a stigma.  The question is, will an international LSR organization be of any value for the participants who want to do back up runs and impound.

And, being selfish, I'd like to drag my knuckles to a few of these events, with Slim's blessing, to do audio webcasting.  Landracing having an international following, might be more fun to see records set and/or broken on a world wide basis.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
Moxnix,

I think your idea would bring broader  audience base to the sport, but the implementation of such a task would be monumental.

Instead of what ifs, and generalities, please give us a specific plan to think about.

This would only be for the mile/kilo? Why not separate categories, for the different venues, such as 1 mile paved, 1 mile dirt, 1.5 miles, paved, 1.5 miles dirt, 3 miles salt, etc.? If not, the 'fastest' XXO/BVGCC is simply the fastest speed ever ran by run, no matter the venue?

What's your idea for class standardization? All participants agree to build the car to the 'strictest' set of rules currently being used? I mean, for example if SCTA has the  strictest rules, everyone worldwide follows them, irregardless of the venue they are running?

Where are the extra fees going to come from to fund the record keeping and such? Would I mail my $400 pre-entry to the SCTA, and $100 to this 'worldwide' organization?

I'm not saying it's not a cool idea, but there are lots of unanswered questions, that need to be answered before a serious discussion can be had.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:29:08 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maj

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 06:12:58 PM »
I agree with Joe that comparing 2 run average mile speeds with short timing trap speeds is apples to oranges and see no need to group them under one banner
but speeds set under EG: World Mile Racers would be WMR records and to some degree comparable from track to track , but even that would over time become well known enough to say that Elvington is consistantly 7 mph slower than Texas , just as drag racers in Cali know Sac is faster than Infineon ... and if you want to seriously reset a WMR record you would go to Texas...

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
Or if you have a Ford Diesel you just call EVERY run a World Record! :-D

OUCH!!!!

219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline desotoman

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.usacracing.com/

They have a Land Speed link that says coming soon. Anyone know what that is all about?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
It would be a huge undertaking to renew the LSA OR START A NEW ONE. IN THE PAST WHEN LSA WAS STILL ALIVE scta/bni used the same categories as FIA. For several reasons it failed to last and many of us were sorry to see it go. Part of the problem was working it in on a regular meet such as the world finals as all record runs had to be held for the vehicles during the turn around for returns up to 4 hours. It limited the number of vehicles and if there was a incident others could loose their chance to back it up.

There are many things to think about as it should be a separate meet like Cooks shoot out. He already has the FIA support under control and the certified timers to handle it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »
The  USAC rep at the Shootout was there to represent the FIA with the streamliners.  For trivia people, he was David Patrali whose father, Joe, rode a streamlined knucklehead to a notable record at Daytona in 1937.

First, since Bonneville is well covered by all the current meets held there, this thread is just about LSR for kilo, mile & mile.5 on pavement.  If the SCTA went into handling mile runs, I'd like that.  Since this is an inquiry into IF it's possible to establish an international pavement LSR series and may go nowhere, I'll give it a year or two to either work or go upside down.  I haven't turned up my LSA document but if the format was adapted only to pavement LSR events, it may give a leg up to going international. 

Just talking through my hat, now, but if someone did a run in a vehicle that meets a particular SCTA class at, say, Mojave, put the vehicle into an impound area, then backed it up in the same direction when their place in line comes around again, back to impound for a measurement, is that an acceptable way to compete?  Keeping things as familiar and simple as possible? 

I can't speak for Malcom, but he might chip in with his evaluation of whether the Brits would be interested in the same format.

Offline dw230

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
"...a record claimed by a corporation with no oversight or authority."...

Do you really believe that the establishment of an "authority" to oversee these events will actualy do away with claims as mentioned in the quote above?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
Without reading all the posts again -- I'll ask if anyone in this discussion has mentioned that speeds could be listed a la FIA(M) -- with both standing start speeds and flying start speeds.  That style of timing could well allow "record" keeping on both short/paved and long/natural surface venues.

Maybe -- the many venues can't be compared exactly, and therefore the records won't be comparable, either.  Accept that - and then you don't need to get into the "which venue has the best advantages?" question.

The "Governing Body" could still set parameters that CAN be identical from one track to another, such as standing start tracks having a timed section of identical length and defined length of run-up.  That'd give some repeatability at any one track.  The "Body" could mandate the timing parameters -- standardised accuracy, for instance, and required survey for length of the track and the timed stretch (that is, a register surveyor sets the marks each and every time there's an event instead of using the same marks over and over for a year or two at a time).

The "Body" could include in the various rules that this record was set and the engine size measured, and that record was set without a following measurement.  And so on through all of the items that might not be 100% the same here, there, and everywhere.

The results would be a huge number of records that aren't directly comparable from one place to another, but at least would be fair from one event to another.  And since many items WILL be defined and ruled/guaranteed by the "Body" -- there'd be at least some legitimacy in all of the records.

Over and out -- bedtime in Skandia.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
"...a record claimed by a corporation with no oversight or authority."...

Do you really believe that the establishment of an "authority" to oversee these events will actualy do away with claims as mentioned in the quote above?

DW

Nope.  The German's have the expression, Nur fur Kenner": only for those who know. 

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 10:50:35 PM »
Only for connoisseurs?  I think anyone that race in this sport, whether on the slat, asphalt or dirt should be considered a connoisseur of speed or just plain crazy. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »
Maybe both.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
I believe the Russians do have a mile event already

Yes they do, the Moscow Unlimited 500.  I believe it is run 3 times a year.  At the fall meet the fastest "Moto" class was a BMW S1krr, 320.00 km/h  Safety equipment, none.  and I do believe they run the mile as a drag race, 2 vehicles at once.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:31:32 AM by RansomT »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
Some will say that the International governing bodies can truly call their record speeds as "World" records because they have representation in most of the countries of this world.  FIA represented by ACCUS/USAC and FIM by the AMA - hence the shoout out works. 

My guess is that the SCTA would not move from California let alone set up a 'division' across the pond to the mother country.  Their rules are used in Australia however and I was told the Aussie tech officials have been to the US meets for training.

Given time we should be able to get Keith or Joe or Mike or others to give their opinions as owners/operators of the 'mile' event.

The International mile or kilo records are either timed from a standing start to the end trap at flying speed (or for outright speed as a flying start and finish) with speed for two directions from the averages of the two times.

There is no likelihood of comparing apples with oranges, I just think the oranges camp may feel that they would like International recognition for the 'monster mile' format.  Just tell Max and me that we are wrong and we will put forward a case for it!

Malcolm

Do not get me started on some of the Guinness records or other claims for world speeds!

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline dw230

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
"... other claims for world speeds!"

Such as those found in the signature of some forum members?

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth