Author Topic: Wendover's Bonneville Speedway Museum  (Read 33469 times)

Offline jag1046

Wendover's Bonneville Speedway Museum
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:12 PM »
Wendover Utah's Bonneville Speedway Museum is FAST Becoming a REALITY.

Follow all of the up to date Developments on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonneville-Speedway-Museum/235952389788686 and right here on www.landracing.com

This is a Wendover City Development and as such will be owned and operated by the City / County / State (i.e. we the people) and a Museum Board of Directors.

We are just in the Planning stages and have only just last week received Wendover's City Council approval.

We will keep you updated on our progress as it happens here and our FaceBook Page.

Any Ideas / Suggestions are most welcome and can be submitted here, on FaceBook or to myself jag1046@hotmail.com / Mayor Crawford crawfordmr@yahoo.com

Thank you
John

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:38:23 PM by jag1046 »
"Everytime I start thinking the world is all bad, I see some people on motorcycles, it makes me take another look" Steve McQueen

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Wendover's Bonneville Speedway Museum
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
Great to hear you got the approval!
Looking forward to future updates as the project reaches completion!

Larry

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
Keep after it guys. It'll be a lot of work but it SHOULD happen. Wayno

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
It's to bad all of the LSR history that was in Dixon's old museum was sold off. It would have been an asset to the new one.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
  Glen, maybe if some of the buyer's were contacted they might be willing to donate back to the new museum.
  If they can incorporate or give the state/county/city the ownership title, people might open up to donating memorbilia or cars.
  Usually if it is a non profit, the donation's can be written off on taxes..........  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »
People could also retain ownership of the artifact and put it on long term loan to the museum if the museum would accept such a long term loan.

I would suspect that many people that bought stuff from the old museum did it with a sense of preserving history to ensure that those items were preserved in the hands of someone who cared about them.

Larry

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »
Mike was shooting the breeze with us about the museum - and in answer to the question of whether donations would be deductible, he reminded Nancy and me that the museum would be owned by the city, and from that - well, cities are by decree non-profit, so - there you have it, I guess.  Donations to the city/Museum would be deductible.

By the way, the City of Wendover would own the museum - right, Mike & John? -- but who would be the responsible person/committee that would do the actual running of the place?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jag1046

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
Hey Jon,
As I mentioned in my announcement:

This is a Wendover City Development and as such will be owned and operated by the City / County / State (i.e. we the people) and a Museum Board of Directors.

We are very much in the PRE-Development phase of planning. As we get further along there will be a Museum board of Directors.

Thanks and PLEASE "LIKE" us on FaceBook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonneville-Speedway-Museum/235952389788686
"Everytime I start thinking the world is all bad, I see some people on motorcycles, it makes me take another look" Steve McQueen

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
Yep - I saw the mention of ownership in the announcement -- but I thought I detected a bit of drift/cornfusion by some of the posters - so I reiterated your comment a tad, and now you've said it in red print.  Thanks for what you're doing - and don't forget to let this website and all of us that are interested - help you in your project.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jag1046

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Jon,

We greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you for the use of your forum. Mike being Mayor, Business owner and overall Great guy :roll:
and me with a full time job and family will be sure to call out to the LandRacing community for HELP!! as we get rolling along.

Thank you,
John

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »
I contacted Mike a while ago and am real excited about this project.
Let me know when you are ready to accept items for the museum.
It might be helpful to have an attorney (city attorney?) draft alternative agreements for donations - gift or loan - so donors don't have to prepare their own.

Need any new board members?  :cheers:
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline jag1046

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »
Hey Mayoman and all, there will be an Attorney involved as we progress. We will also be a Member of the American Association of Museums (AAM) which is basically the FIA of the Museum world. We will be using their forms and Governing procedures.
http://www.aam-us.org Here is a Link to the Site.
Thanks
John

Offline crawford

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
Hey everyone, I finally got on to the site to help John House keep all you racing types in line.  We are pretty excited to get this museum project on the way and believe it or not we have been trying to get the land for the site for about a year. We feel that this project will have to be done in phases, with the first phase being the survey and title of the 5 acres, with a site plane being developed. After that we have to work on a dedicated road on the north side and the site preparation's, such as water, sewer, and electrical, all of which are close by. But in the mean time we need your ideas and help, this is a very big project and can only be done if everyone works together.
   Oh by the way in case you didn't know, I'm Mike Crawford the current Mayor of Wendover Utah and owner of the Carquest Autoparts store, plus I like the racers, the salt flats and Wendover.
Will say in touch,
Email me at crawfordmr@yahoo.com with any questions or answers.
MIke
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
Mike, looking forward to the museum becoming a reality. This is so needed and will be something on everyones bucket list. As things progress I know a lot will have great things to donate or loan. The history of LSR on the salt goes back a lot of years. There are so many famous people that have put their name in the record book and to have a home that others can view and read about is great.

What is the time frame for the finished building plans and forcasted opening date. I know this is a little Early to ask but will sure give us something to look forward to.
See you next week.

Glen Barrett
Past chief timer
Present BNI announcer.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline crawford

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
well as far as time frame, we are into phase one, which is the land. We have the survey being done and the Title search is in play. Also since the site has a working Bill board we put up 5000.00 to paint and put the graphics on it.
    Now also remember that this project has several important points, one is the history of the Salt Flats and Wendover, Second its a great way to stimulate that section of Wendover and help save that exit.

Mike Crawford
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.