Author Topic: Record's and Cash.................  (Read 25712 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Record's and Cash.................
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

« Reply #74 on: Today at 07:40:46 AM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, you are asking a good question.  My books about land speed racing in the early days show a young crowd having fun racing all sorts of street based stuff.  Most were blue collar working guys and gals.  Lately young people with jobs are lucky and good paying blue collar work is scarce.  It costs big money just to build a car and creating a record setting auto is beyond almost all people's budget, young or old.

There are a few good ideas at BUB that others could use.  There is no competition for total points at year's end.  This removes the incentive for fast people to sweep all of the classes they can enter and win.  This leaves more opportunities for other less talented racers to get records.  BUB also has coins for various speeds such as 100 mph, 150 mph, 200 mph, etc.  This gives a person something to take home after the meet in addition to a time slip.  It is sort of like the USFRA 130 and 150 clubs.  The rule changes are a bit more structured and sensible, too.  This is a big, big, deal for a low budget guy.

My feelings are that it is possible to have land speed racing events for lots of people who are not high rollers.  First, there needs to be something for them to win besides records.  Second, some limits need to be placed on the gifted so they do not grab everything.  Perhaps only being allowed to enter in one class per meet?  Third, rule changes need to be carefully done with as much advance notice as possible.  That is all I can think of for now.  I hope it helps.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^You mean dumboning down things so everyones a winner? Thats how liberals view the world :-D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:52:43 AM by Tman »

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
I recall Dan W saying something to the effect that a personal best to some is like a world record.

For me personally, I recently ran WOS and did my personal best, ever! And as an added benefit the car stayed together, and I was told that my car was the loudest one out there, and I had a blast!!!

For me, this car has been all about learning. Ive learned many things including money mgmnt, what tips makes the engine run, and what does not, etc, etc,.

To me, its all about learning   
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
   A while back I was reading a article on the Davidson, Beck, etal roadster.
  The article said it took 30 gallons of 60% to go to the three mile.
  Do the math on that one and then multiply by however many runs you would want to make at say Speedweek, and you might need to take out a 2nd mortage on your house..............  wow!
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
  A while back I was reading a article on the Davidson, Beck, etal roadster.
  The article said it took 30 gallons of 60% to go to the three mile.
  Do the math on that one and then multiply by however many runs you would want to make at say Speedweek, and you might need to take out a 2nd mortage on your house..............  wow!

Add two expensive tires per run. :-o We had this topic going in the chat a while back.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »
Any form of motorsports is expensive. It's you who need to make the decision on what your goals are and what you can afford to spend. From what I have observed of the last 35 years is most start with just driving on the salt making a good pass and then it leads to bigger and better things (expensive too).

Think of all the guys we seem to call "rich" who dreamed about this when they were kids but went out to make a living first but kept the dream in the back of their heads. After who knows how many years of working ungodly hours and making a business grow they retired and remembered their dream and now can live it. What they built with their buddies in high school were long gone and the what they wanted could now be afforded by their hard work and savings. (maybe even selling off their business).

I begrudge them nothing even if they run in the same class I chose. As I stated before the equipment I ran 35 years ago is in my archives because I too could now afford better.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »

Well said! :cheers:

Any form of motorsports is expensive. It's you who need to make the decision on what your goals are and what you can afford to spend. From what I have observed of the last 35 years is most start with just driving on the salt making a good pass and then it leads to bigger and better things (expensive too).

Think of all the guys we seem to call "rich" who dreamed about this when they were kids but went out to make a living first but kept the dream in the back of their heads. After who knows how many years of working ungodly hours and making a business grow they retired and remembered their dream and now can live it. What they built with their buddies in high school were long gone and the what they wanted could now be afforded by their hard work and savings. (maybe even selling off their business).

I begrudge them nothing even if they run in the same class I chose. As I stated before the equipment I ran 35 years ago is in my archives because I too could now afford better.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
Very well said Jimmy Six and I think it is exactly what is happening.

20 years ago there was no way I could have spent the kind of money that I did on my bike this year plus all the travel expenses and being a sponsor of Bubs. Luckily my business is doing well and I was able to. But even with that we blew the bike up after the second pass and were no where near the record.  Spending a lot of money does not guranatee you will be the fastest machine, but it helps!!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:44:21 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline bak189

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2011, 01:25:48 PM »
If you race the BUB Meet with a sidecar......AND you are fastest in class, you get to take home more then a few coins........................
Question authority.....always

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »
JD,  you are so spot on as I have posted before, I first came to the Salt in '69  as I drove back to Texas I thought if I was ever going to have anything I was going to have to give up racing; but if I ever did go back it would be to B'ville so that I would have ayear to rebuild "BLOWN UP". Went home and sold my pretty hot 65 442 that I blew up the trans fairly often street racing and such, dedicated myself to "acquiring" for 30 years came back in '99 an caught a "WONDERFUL" :-o case of Salt Fever. 

I love to drive and I love to build!  I just wish every one could have a competitor like Seth, Tannis, Lee and all their family and crew.  If I my new car is competitive with theirs with less HP---then I will KNOW my ideas are in the general area of where the need to be successful.

I will have earned the right to "gently" needle him to get with it as he has me; to get with it and finish my car and get my but back on the salt!  THIS IS WHY LSR is so GREAT---it is the thinking mans sport that rewards not just money but research and toil!   :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
  The best thing about the big buck teams is that most can write off their cost, hire and employ those in the speed business which in the long run helps the little guy.

Think about it instead of their money going to the government, their having engines-chassis- wheels-600 mph
tires- ect built.  [would the little guy have 600 mph tires with the few streamliners and faster cars build on low budgets?]

JL222
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:13:49 PM by jl222 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
Same thing about heads---with out NHRA and Nascar we sure wouldnt be dealing with as much HP  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2011, 02:58:04 PM »

[would the little guy have 600 mph tires with the few streamliners and faster cars build on low budgets?]

JL222

Didn't the Burkland's build there own tire testing machine, and test quite a few tires for this sport? I don't consider them a High Dollar team.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
  Tom, have you ever seen that machine?  If not you should subscribe to the Bonneville racing news.
  It is a totaled out Dodge Ramcharger (think Blazer) with the body cut off, 318 cu in., and the rear axle driving a transmission to a homemade wheel mount (or something near that).
  I'll bet they don't have a thousand bucks in the whole thing.
  What they did and do have is a thousand friend's with not much money, but a lot of passion for the friendliest people from Montana and their racecars.
    And yes, that is the very test machine that took the tires to 600 mph because the Tire Manufacturers couldn't figure out how to do it............  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
If you have the funds to build such a project like the speed demon do it, if you dont, build something that fits your budget and race it. After all Bonneville is about reaching the fastest speed possible and for others thats includes doing something that hasnt been done before. A small block going 420+ :-o High Five for the Speed Demon crew.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »
Jorge, what a decent avatar image you're using.  Great!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com