Author Topic: Record's and Cash.................  (Read 25711 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Record's and Cash.................
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
  Flaty, Being a neophyte when I built my car, I have followed your build with interest.
  I think those of us who have built our own cars have a level of satisfaction that cant be matched by those with more means, and I don't mean that is a derogatory way.
  I don't mean for a second that we can or in my case have built the nicest cars out there ( I have been re-working my car for fifteen year's so it ain't perfect by any mean's) but some of us like to try unproven design's and sure as sh-t most of them are dud's, but it keeps me from losing what little sanity I still have.
  The real shinning star of racing on the salt, in my opinion, is the freindlyness of fellow racers and the way we all share tools, parts, beer and more beer..........
  Good luck and boy do I like that Cadillac motor..............  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »

Bob, we're lucky we're not the 'big money' boys!

Otherwise, we would have no need to share tools, parts, beer and more beer.......... :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »
 Flaty, Being a neophyte when I built my car, I have followed your build with interest.
  I think those of us who have built our own cars have a level of satisfaction that cant be matched by those with more means, and I don't mean that is a derogatory way.
  I don't mean for a second that we can or in my case have built the nicest cars out there ( I have been re-working my car for fifteen year's so it ain't perfect by any mean's) but some of us like to try unproven design's and sure as sh-t most of them are dud's, but it keeps me from losing what little sanity I still have.
  The real shinning star of racing on the salt, in my opinion, is the freindlyness of fellow racers and the way we all share tools, parts, beer and more beer..........
  Good luck and boy do I like that Cadillac motor..............  Bob

I never got my beer Bob! :-D

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
I like Bob  :cheers:  I like Beer  :cheers:

and I like to go fast  :cheers:

and I race a black car in the heat !!!  call me crazy... :cheers:

To each his own,,, that is what I like about our sport...

I think our people make our sport... that can never be bought...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dick elliott

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »
What Bob said is oh so true. One only needs to look at what money has done to NHRA and NASCAR to see the future.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline salt27

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »

Bob, we're lucky we're not the 'big money' boys!

Otherwise, we would have no need to share tools, parts, beer and more beer.......... :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words!

While in we were in impound the Speed Demon crew borrowed some of my tools and I used some of their sealant.
They are just like the rest of us inflicted with this horrible disease.
It's all about the Passion.
Don

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
  Yep, and I am passionatly looking for a rich, old (I mean reallllly old) widow who want's to travel the world while I work on my car.................. 
  Applications are now being taken........................   :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
We had a record we were chasing put out of sight by big time money and a bucket list.

Just for the record, that wasn't me.

Any kind of racing is a form of insanity. The trick is to find other insane people that are compatible, with or without a lot of money. I was drawn to land speed racing because it looks like what we found with our SCCA open class rally car back in the '80s - a chance to compete, a reason to build a car that's as much fun to build as it is to race, avid volunteers, and friendly helpful competitors that share freely. The attitude back then was, hey, let's come together and do this thing. Like a lot of people, a record is not on my list of required things about racing. If I'm wrong about the attitude in this sport, it won't be money or poor boys that make me look for a different way to squander my SS check.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline jl222

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »

Bob.... here's another can of worms. It could help the racers that can't write off expenses. Before I retired
I was able to write off my race car parts-hotel-gas-ect as advertisement [ tax man rolled his eyes alot] BUT if  Budwiser can do it so could I :-D

Here's the worm.... Have SCTA/BNI give $500 [or whatever works] for breaking a record.

Maybe it could be for breaking a record by 10 mph to keep payouts down.

It seems that my cousin was able to write off his dragster expenses because he was racing for money.

There are other Bville racers in other types of racing for a purse, is this true for them.

Hey Bob... maybe this could help with cost.

JL222

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »
  John, near the end of my drag racing life, I worked on a Nostalgia AA/Gas Supercharged car which we mainly match raced.
  While it is true that if you race for profit you can run the car as a bussiness and lose money for either three or five years, but you better have your receipt's ready or they will hang your ass.
  That's a fact, Jack..................... from one who know's (not my car, thank God). 
   The I.R.S. loves to come after racer's............... after the fact................. and their interest rate really sucks.................. 
  You know if I had more money I would just have that many more un-finished project's..........
                                         Bob   :-P
Bob Drury

Offline salt27

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »

You know if I had more money I would just have that many more un-finished project's..........
                                         Bob   :-P

Hows that Flxible bus coming? :evil:

Sorry Bob I couldn't help myself.

Don

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
  Does the Flxible bus have a Buick straight 8 in it? :-o
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline desotoman

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 12:17:41 AM »
What Bob said is oh so true. One only needs to look at what money has done to NHRA and NASCAR to see the future.

Dick,

That is why we need to keep the system as is, and that is to race for a trophy. if someone wants to spend two million dollars to get a trophy the more power to them.

Bob,

IMO you will never have a level playing field, even if you put a claimer limit $$$$ on a class, people will just keep spending money. You just have to out think them, but hey that is what makes this fun.

Tom G. 

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2011, 02:08:36 AM »
The only thing you can do is control technology... So make rules against new stuff if thats what you want...

Offline jl222

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2011, 02:48:37 AM »
The only thing you can do is control technology... So make rules against new stuff if thats what you want...

The classic category has rules like that.

JL222