Author Topic: Record's and Cash.................  (Read 25710 times)

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
Re: Record's and Cash.................
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »
I would like to add that Mr. Poteet has always been polite when I spoke with him, and just an all around pleasure to talk to.  I know that he has not a clue as to who I am but he was always good to me.  I think he is a hot rodder first, and I think he is doing what anyone of us would do if we had the resources.

John
:cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
Bob...Bob...Bob  :roll:
Would I worry if one of the "high dollar teams" decided to run in my class, sure...
But that wouldn't stop me from racing and trying to beat them.
I know you remember the 50 GM guys with the big tent and telemetry in the little pickup that was a sure bet to take the record until one of the backyard guys went 3 MPH faster...
You could spend your Navy Pension and SS checks on racing like someone I know... his wife is a saint

Yep, we toasted the lakester motor at WoS again this year, left 15 MPH on the table, yes I used a lot of my drinking money to do it, but I am thrilled with the fastest run the little car has ever made, done on a motor I built from leftover and Ebay parts. 
I know you are proud of your efforts and everyone will celebrate when you put 2 runs through Warnerville.
Racing is not cheap, it costs a lot more to go 250 than 200, and a shitpot more to go 450... There are a bunch of guys trying, they bring interest to our sport, and all of them are really nice guys, even your neighbor, the guy trying for 550, and he has yet to turn a wheel under power.

I know you would spend it if you had it, since you spend it even though you don't, all racers are that way.  Do I wish I had their cash, sure... do you... sure... but we don't so we race with what we have.  I don't see the bucks as professional racers, or separate records, neither do you... so lets get on with racing...
to quote my buddy Terry Lucas, talk is cheap... it takes money to buy whisky
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
Hey Bob,

Back to your initial post here, I would like to add Noland White's family to the list of family endeavors to go fast.

The money teams are here to stay, and I don't have a hard spot with that. Stan Back and I have had a number of conversations about the "50's era SBC Roadsters yielding to SB2 Chevy NASCAR engines (also other brands) in the "C" Street Roadster Class. Stan has set his records, but is not willing (at this time anyway) to spend down his retirement funds to gain enough HP to go another 20 MPH.

I feel the same way as my 401K is now a 201K. I certainly don't begrudge anybody that uses better technology to go faster. That does not take away the fun of just "competing" at Bonneville, knowing that the record may be currently out of sight.

I guess it's time to start buying Lottery tickets again!

Hang in there Bob!

Tom

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
Everyone should remember it's progress which makes all go faster than ever before.

If your running in "C" class with a NASCAR engine and it wasn't taken out of last weeks winner it's obsolete and for sale a lot cheaper then next weeks engine.

If I was still running the original parts I started with in my vintage engine I would be chasing someone else. Many of the partswere never even thought of in 1975 and what I started with was probably what I thought was good enough......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:44 PM »
Bob the latest heads for a competetive BBC running in Stock class cost about the same as a 632 RM eng with spreadport heads---but they make about the same power also.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »
I guess all of the record holders, of the 30s-40s-50s- etc., who manufactured speed equipment could be considered pros. It would seem that is how the records kept being increased. Gust a thought. Progress?

Jack
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline Tman

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
I guess all of the record holders, of the 30s-40s-50s- etc., who manufactured speed equipment could be considered pros. It would seem that is how the records kept being increased. Gust a thought. Progress?

Jack

VERY good point!

Dollar wise, we are probably on the bottom rung, no, we are the pads on the very bottom of the ladder! We/I are going to keep building out little racecar and having fun. Does the $$$$$$ teams bother me? Not a bit, I like shiney things and watching how the other side does it. Helping with #416 this year proved to me how much fun you can have witha  bare bones crew. Two pickups with camper shells, borrowed car trailer and a Triumph pit bike prob cost less than many of the big enclosed trailers we see. This classism I see popping up is disturbing. Some of you know me from the HAMB and the rich vs poor thing popped up there the other day. My thought, I don't plan on spending my life playing the victim. I AM IN CHARGE of my destiny and can't blame anyone but myself.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
Bobs idea:   start having records for unsponsored cars with owner's who make less than $100,000 a year

What if the owner is retired but he sold a business 4 years ago for 5 million dollars and is now spending that on his vehicle?  He currently is not making any money, or what if he lives in Switzerland where the cost of living makes $100,000 a year lower middle class.

Can you see what I am getting at here.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
Can you see what I am getting at here.

Yes---the same thing that most of us expressed last time he brought up this woe is me stuff---

SS #1 said it best:

Bob...Bob... Bob...

(sorry if I left out the periods)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:34:35 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
thats funny Sparky

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
  You know the more I thought about what John Langlo and several others mentioned, if you go way back, Mickey Thompson supposedly got free motor's from Pontiac, Arfon's and Breedlove had big dollar sponsor's and yet The Summers' Brothers built some of the fastest nicest cars out there.
  I am sorry that some of you are so mentally challenged that you can't understand the difference between a question and whineing.
  Maybe you ought to go back and reread this entire blog and list any non question or statement of fact for me.
  Hell, I don't even have a horse in this race, but I do have a race vehicle,  which is more than a couple of you can say........................  Bob 
p.s. Jon A., does it have to be Coor's Light?.......... :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
Bob,

Along with our "Comp." licsence,  & BNI card will we now have to show last years IRS 1040?

Just kidding, I think!

Tom

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
  Jeez, Tom, I wish I would have raised it to over $250,000, so Obama could raise their taxes.........
   Anyway, I hope this horse is about dead, I feel well flogged........... :-D  Bob  :cheers:
  and Sparky, my "high dollar heads" are a jug of Nitro................ (Chinese of course).  Bob
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:39:02 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
 When do we start having records for unsponsored cars with owner's who make less than $100,000 a year?

Ok, Bob, mentally challenged or not, I can figure this one out- NEVER!

I didn't start the build for Bonneville to set records. My endeavour was to do what I believe, or at least to my mentally challenged knowledge, hasn't been done. That endeavour is to build a 500hp blown Cadillac Flathead, that powers my car to 170 mph. Period.

If I achieve that goal, I will feel far more successful than if I set a record at 140 mph- the class is open, at the moment.

Pete and I are starting work on a blown Jimmy 6. The Jimmy is far cheaper to build, and will surpass the Flatcad in HP. If I was only after records, I'd put that engine in the car and run it.

The fact that I can call guys Like Ron Main, Jimmy Stevens, Dema Elgin, Tony, Sparky, Rex, and many, many others, make this the most enjoyable form of racing I've ever experienced. No one asks me how much I make, or how much I spent on the engine, before answering my question. Nor do I hesitate to ask, because of their income tax bracket.

The wide range of incomes, build, and variety of people make this fun. So does the fact that the salt doesn't care who you are, or how much you make.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
Sure glad the propster isn't on here, he would tell you the right way to handle it. BTW he already put his 2 cents worth on the Reno air crash blog.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah