Author Topic: Record's and Cash.................  (Read 25705 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Record's and Cash.................
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »
  Where do we cross the line?
  Having pissed off a few (?) people asking about the Land Speed Shootout, let's keep the fires lit:
  When do we start having records for unsponsored cars with owner's who make less than $100,000 a year?
  I am not trying to downplay the new record by Poteet and Main, merelly ask the question"  Now that we have big money involved in the last bastion of poor man racing, do we care about the backbone of our sport, the grassroot's racer from Alabama who tow's out every year trying to pick up that one or two miles an hour and suddenly see's the record blown away by twenty miles an hour.
  Just to be clear, this is not a rant against George Poteet, Ron Main, Dennis Varni or any one else who has earned what they have, it is more about the evolution of our sport, and what I see as a end to ameuter racing on the salt.
  Maybe I am wrong in my accessment, but when I look back at the history of our sport I see the Burkland family, the Cohn family, the Cook family, the Vesco's, the Nish's, and many other's who have given their all, including death's on the salt, to achieve their goal's.
  We are allready the seemingly last place on earth where Rube Goldberg inovation has a home, so do we just let our sport become another "what used to be" or do we draw a line in the sand and declare "pro classes, and ameuter classes)?
  This is not so much of a opinion as it is a question of what direction do we want our sport to take?
   I congratulate George and Ron on their record, but I also long for the folk's who cannot fly in part's  as the true heroe's of our sport.
  Let the denouncement's begin............ Bob
Bob Drury

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: Record's and Cash.................
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
never mind my bad
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:14:55 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
you might wanna consider taking up bowling as a new hobby Bob
kent

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »
  I hear you Kent but as long as Visa keep's sending me new card's, I ain't gonna quit, even if that pisses off a few rules committee member's...............
 :cheers: :evil: :cheers:  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
 Where do we cross the line?

I congratulate George and Ron on their record,

Let the denouncement's begin............ Bob

You worry too much. :-D  And they didn't set a record, you should know how records are set.   :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
  Dyno, as you should know, I have no idea how record's are set.............. :-D
  .......... and just to repeat, I have only admiration for George and Ron, I am not trying to cause discord, just initiate debate.
  One more thing, I am not trying to discredit Mike Cook for all he has done, including this meet. 
  We all make decision's that are, possibly not the best, but I don't think for a minute that Mike or any one else associated with the Shootout has or had anything but the best intention's in mind for the racer's or spectator's at the meet.
  Let's move on and get ready for the World Final's, or in my case, Speedweek 2012.        :cheers:
              Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
That line is crossed in every sport. Little League parents with money send their little snot to expensive baseball camps so that he can live the good life as a professional dishwasher later in life.

I raced karts in the 60's and there were dads spending huge amounts on race motors for their 8 year old.

I think Ron Main and George Poteet are tremendous assets for land speed racing. Nobody tuned in to see how the bikes were doing. It takes buckets of money to go 450 miles per hour. And I cheered the whole way. (The people in the office didn't care for it.)

As for the guy scraping parts out of the pick-a-part yard, there is a place for him too. Still plenty of open and soft records.

I'm not sure everybody is out there to set a record. A bunch of competitors are running no where near the record. It's exciting to just say you ran at Bonneville.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »
Don't they call him one run Bob. :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
  Dean, thank's for your reply.
  I don't want to see the Poteet & Main's not have the right to run or set record's, it's more about losing what we have.
  A few years back I pissed off J.D. when I accused him of having his head in the sand in regard to updating and changing long standing rules.
  Well, I am here to say that I am eating Crow, taking Metamucil, and admiting that I think J.D. was a lot smarter than myself:  I long for the day's of yesteryear, tow to the salt, break the motor, borrow parts, make a pass, give the parts back, borrow gas money and tow home, take a shower and go to work Monday morning.......................
  In my eighteen years of going to Speedweek (three as a spectator) I have watched a lot of thing's happen, most of which I think are great.
  I just hope that future generation's can enjoy what has become so special for me............  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:51 PM »
  Bob...it's always been that way. I remember when a guy I know wanted to ban pro-engine builders but changed his mind when I pointed out some might consider him pro as he made his living as a mechanic.

One thing about these racers with a lot of $s is that they all are gearheads and have been most of there lives
[at least the ones I know of]. And one of them built his own car.

Besides some racers have gone faster than the big buckers in some classes and are building streamliners
[themselves mostly] for the all out speed record.

The big $ can be beat with a lot less spent if one can do most of the work, and if you do set a record or go fast with less its :-) time :cheers:

JL222

p.s. is that 100,000 before or after deductions :-D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:54:56 PM by jl222 »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:02:08 PM »
  John, I hear what you are saying, and I think most would agree that going up against the "Big Names" in engine building is what makes a lot of us tick.
  In my case, I am rellying on the "cam grinder" or whomever to guide me.............  I can't afford to rent a dyno for a few day's, but I at least have the ability to think about and try my own idea's, some of which suck egg's, some of which have shown promise.
  As Glen acuratley stated, I am known as "One Run Bob", but I will never not be willing to try new idea's, even if the outcome may not be what I wish.
  I am proud to say that I have never broken a motor on the Salt, have never had the same re-occurance of problems (other than dealing with a cross drilled crank *$##@^%_) and have certainly tried to learn from my failure's including learning humility and that crew members should not be treated like short term employee's.
  The salt, as I have learned, can take you from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in mere second's, and as I have learned, only happen's due to the help of others, whether it be course worker's, or the help that appear's out of nowhere's when you need it most.....................
Bob Drury

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 10:22:12 PM »
Bob, with that attitude some may go faster but they won't beat you!
I kinda resemble the 'one run Bob'.

Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline DallasV

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
Bob, Are you saying if you won a hundred million in the lottery or invented something that brought you millions you wouldn't invest that in the top of the line stuff to go as fast as you could? you would still set your budget low and borrow parts? or you would quit racing all together? We had a record we were chasing put out of sight by big time money and a bucket list. I was pissed at first but then thought if I was loaded I would have the most trick HP making s#it I could buy. Just something to think about
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
The real answer is quit whining .....  be more creative ....... wos  has a 130 club for you to run.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
or you could simplify it as Jon has   :wink:
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.