Author Topic: Reno Air Race Crash today  (Read 9570 times)

Blue

Re: Reno Air Race Crash today
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
This plane had been flying air races since the '40s. Had been heavily modified. I heard from a pilot friend that some recent additional modifications had been done. It was thought that a hose on cooling system failed in some fashion allowing some sort of toxic (don't know what might have been used) coolant/material loose that took out the pilot. Is why we now have coolant rules about flammability/toxicity. And yes, it might be death knell for Reno.
An additional note:  The aircraft was carrying ~90 gallons of race gasoline, 30 gallons of ADI fluid, and ~90 gallons of boil-off fluid at the time of the accident.  Both ADI and boil-off are ~50-50 methanol and water.  On impact, the 90 gal of fuel, 60 gal of methanol, and 60 gal of water vaporized.  The water content was sufficient to prevent any fire or explosion. 

This would not be true of aircraft not using large amounts of ADI and boil off.  Post crash injuries may have been far worse without this modification to the cooling system that essentially converted a potential explosion into its own extinguisher.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »
Blue thanks for the up date  I wondered about that
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15:50 PM »
The propster(AKA expert,his opinion) made several remarks on the Reno blog.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah