Author Topic: Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars  (Read 26561 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Reconsider Lexan rule for 200 MPH + cars
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »

Was that the 240 I was watching you tech?

Yes.  Cool little car and nice guys.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dick elliott

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
Lexan is very easy to bend/form to meet the shape of a stock window. The big problem as I see it, is useing .125 thick material. The stock window is close to .250 thick, so why not build a lexan window to be an exact copy of the stock window, put it in place of the stock window and roll it up just like stock. I understand this is too simple, but give it a try. If you need more help on forming lexan, give me an E-Mail. Its real easy if you live in warm country. Try it/you'll like it.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline Tman

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »

Was that the 240 I was watching you tech?

Yes.  Cool little car and nice guys.

I remember his comment when you asked him about the Lexan. See, I was listening and learning! :-D

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »

The SMALL coumpound curve rear window :roll:

Nathen you think an apposing view, submiting a rule change is a campaige against the SCTA , or crying? we changed all our glass with no protest as over 250 mph doesn't affect many cars and is a fair rule. Oh and nobody noticed our Lexan. :roll:

I wasn't going to say anything and just sit back and let every body else go through our problems but changed my mind to the possibility that the SCTA would take another look at the rule. And I'm not going to summitt a rule change on it.

THIS 200 MPH RULE DOESN'T AFFECT ME.

Nathen your adittude is why more members don't speak up. Masda 1807 are you listening :? Nathen is proving my point.

JL222

P.S.  What is this new sweeper?

John, I'm not a philosophical person and I don't like being philosophical but I have a philosophy here.  But first some background...

Once when I was younger I over heard two guys talking and one of them says "Hey see that guy over there, that's Miler Mike Stewart.  That guy's an asshole!  He threw so and so out of impound because..."  and of course no kid likes hearing his dad being called an asshole so I took offense to it and it kinda made me feel bad.  The next time I saw my dad and told him about this and he kind of just shrugged it off but then he says "Well someone has to be the asshole.  It's not a fun job and no one likes doing it but someone has to do it.  Someone has to say no.  If someone doesn't do it then it all goes to shit."

For a long time I thought man, why would someone ever want to be the asshole but then I started to get it.  It's about following the rules; respecting the rules.  It's about supporting the system and that means saying no and being an asshole sometimes.  I've found that there are those that go along with things and do what they have to do because it's the rules and then there are those that will bitch and complain and cry and want things changed so they don't have to do something they don't agree with and to those guys you just have to say no. 

So that's my attitude.  I'm the asshole.  If you don't like the rules then you probably won't like me because I have bought into the system and I believe in it.  I also believe that most inspectors have bought into and believe in the rules and the system and what we do so we must all be assholes then.  I'm just one of the few of us that actually post on here.

John, what are you hoping to accomplish posting this here and NOT submitting a rule change?  I submitted my rule changes on August 31st, why didn't you?  Too little too late man. 

But hey, if it's all in the sake of conversation then by all means let's talk about it.  Things have been kind of slow on here lately so I guess we have something to talk about now.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »

Maybe instead of rolling your eyes you should read what I actually wrote.  It wasn't the back window, it was the rear quarter windows on a hatchback that have both a longitudinal and lateral curve in them.  If that guy can do it then what's preventing anyone else from doing it??

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Nathan, I agree with everything you just said. Kudos
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »

Maybe instead of rolling your eyes you should read what I actually wrote.  It wasn't the back window, it was the rear quarter windows on a hatchback that have both a longitudinal and lateral curve in them.  If that guy can do it then what's preventing anyone else from doing it??

Nathen, do the same.  Look at what you quoted, it says rear not back.  Take a breath. :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
For consideration

http://www.cachassisworks.com/c-95-window-install-kits-race.aspx

If those are not beefy enough a heavier duty version could be made.

The compound rear window is the biggest problem.

JL222

In your first post you said you were worried about the side windows flexing out. Nothing about the rear.  :wink:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
Nice link!  What I think he meant was that the biggest problem for others, is molding a decklid window when there may not be one available to purchase. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
Nathan, I agree with everything you just said. Kudos

Birds of a feather flock together.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

Nathan... I'm not submitting a rule change because it does NOT effect our car, every thing has been done

with no complaints. BUT even though we have a popular car and every thing was available it still took a lot of time. Also we wanted 1/4'' tinted glass and had to settle for 3/16. and most companies only have 1/8'' peroid.

I guess you can't get it in your ALPHA attitude that somebody would have the audacity to even suggest
that a rule needs to be changed because there all beyond a state of inprovement [perfect] and especially from someone a rule doesn't directly effect.

It might be before your ALPHA time, but remember when the 200 mph line was taken away?

Then Scotty's muffler roadster made a hair raising run and everybody was having second thoughts.

I was the rep that made a motion [that was passed] to reinstate the 200 mph line.

And it was very frustrating when Roy Creel wouldn't let us run in the 200 mph line when we held the record
in AA at 229mph since 1990.

And even more frustrating when we left our car home [had duty] because our starting position was so bad AND
LO AND BEHOLD there is the Hod Rod magazine camaro in the 200 mph lane David Frieberger driving And I'm not sure but a Rookie.

Nathan your the rookie guy, was he?

JL222

Masda1807... getting any more hints?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:16:37 PM by jl222 »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
John,

Rules aren't perfect, never said they were but there is a system in place for changing those rules and you already know this.  The rule has already changed and is already in place.  This situation is no different than lateral head supports or HANS devices or when we made the change from only requiring a 4 point cages to 5 or 6 point cages (remember that?).  People always throw a fit when they have to change something on their car whether it be because cost or time or whatever.  People have said, "well that means I'll have to completely cut out my cage and re-do it".  Well I guess if that's what it'll take then yeah, you'll have to cut out your cage and start over.  It'd be no different in any other form of somewhat serious racing where they care about their competitors safety. 

Speaking of rules aren't perfect, I submitted rule changes for things that don't even affect me.  In fact, I don't even really have a car nor do I plan on building one any time soon but I saw room for improvement so I did it anyways. 

What you're suggesting is not making a rule better.  You want the SCTA to renig on a rule that's already been set in motion to become effective next year.  And why?  Because of hardship.  Really?  Everyone who makes it through tech so far has had to do some pretty tough stuff to even get to that point.  You don't just fall out of a tree and bamm-oh you pass tech.  It takes effort, time, and probably money (more so if you're the buying type versus the building type).  So all of a sudden out of allllllll the things everyone is already having to do, you think lexan windows is going to be final nail in the coffin?  Seriously? 

Last year it was HANS devices, the year before that it was lateral head supports, etc. etc, and so on and so on.  Racing's tough man as I'm sure you and anyone else who's ever done it knows.  But the train has already left the station, the cow is already out of the barn, Elvis has already left the building.  If you really thought it should be changed then you would have submitted a rules change request even though you already meet the requirement.  After all, you're concerned about the hardship someone else might have to face, right?  If you're trying to drum up support by talking about it here, then fine, go right ahead.  I'm not stopping you nor is anyone else.  But don't get bent when the reality of the fact is that it's not going to change and it cost you $1600 to be complient and it may or may not cost someone else the same thing.  THATS RACING DUDE.  Don't get hung up on some pieces of expensive plastic man.

Offline jl222

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »

Whay I get hung up on is you , callling someone who proposes a rule change [that is already in place] launching
a campiagn against the SCTA or crying.

I remember a certain Dad requesting a rule change [that was already in place]at a SCTA meeting, wanted to lower the driving age so his son could drive. Can't remember if it passed or exact date but several years ago. No body thought he was having a campaign against the SCTA nobody thought he was a crybaby.

I can't  remember the year but if I knew your age I could figure it out.

JL222

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »
After last weekend's ElMo event the SHOULDER HARNESS location interpretation hysteria is still DEFINITELY a gray area or -  a tech guy's who is on a POWER TRIP of effing with the racer's dream!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Tman

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 11:42:19 PM »
Drama, not needed.