Author Topic: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out  (Read 273850 times)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
Re: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »
Wow, a great day.  A TV producer asked me (a complete nobody) to describe the Shootout event.  I replied, "This is the high holliday at the world's cathedral of speed." 

FIA guys from around the world here for their annual meeting.

Cooks crew working their Acuras off to prep for the runs.

I can hardly wait to get back out tomorrow morning
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »
A coupla quick shots from the FIA "hosted social" held this evening after the gathering on the salt that included the drivers meeting (I was busy unloading a broken race car...I didn't make that one).

Nancy (Mrs Seldom Seen Slim), Jason from Richard Assen's team (MPS-1350-BG Hayabusa http://www.assentecracing.com/3.html) and Jon (Mr. Seldom Seen Slim) Wennerberg

Mike Cook receiving a certificate of accomplishment and appreciation from Dave Craw, President of the FIA Senate and President of ACCUS (http://www.accusfia.us/).

It was quite an informative gathering and historic in that it was the first time the FIA's Land Speed Records Commission has met in the US and for sure they first time many of the members have been to the salt flats to see what environment many of the records are set in.

Over and out until the morning.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »
Ray, you beat me to it.  I just put about four dozen photos from today's Shootout activities up on Photobucket.  I'll hit the sack now - and in the morning, between bouts of frantic action when we've got hours of not much going on -- I'll post photos.  I took a bunch during the drivers meeting.  You'll see George Poteet and a couple of the guys from his crew, and you'll se Charles Nearburg and Mike Cook and Nancy (of course) and so on.  I'd put 'em up now -- but I think you'll appreciate some information with the shots.

The morning is forecast to start with the Nish car running first.  They'll be ready to head toward the north end of the track at first good light.  Poteet and Main is ready to run, but Nish gets first dibs on the track.  The Ack Attack bike just arrived out there about 3.45PM -- so probably won't run 'til late tomorrow - if that early.  Richard Assen's bike is ready right now - and will run between cars, as will Leslie and Al Lamb.  Jamie Wagner was just pulling in as we left the pit area about 4PM.  Nancy's Ninjette 250 Turbo isn't due to arrive 'til Tuesday, so we've got some time to relax (?!!?) and keep you folks informed.  Oh, yeah -- we're also the pit stewards, and I even got the nod when it came to moving a couple of porta-potties.  It seems the pits were set up Saturday, in a dry area right off the freeway, and the toilets were installed.  Then the wind blew Saturday night and moved the water to the pit area.  Tarps were pulled up, trailers and equipment moved -- but the toilets were still in the swamp.  So Jon, a/k/a SSS, a/k/a Potentate of Porta Potties, got to moving his minions closer to civilisation.  Will the fun never end?

We'll be back with you folks in the morning.  G'night, all.  PS  Thanks Ray and Moxnix for the help you're providing with coverage.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
I love the smell of horsepower in the morning.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 09:27:32 AM »
I'm heading out to the salt.  Reports/photos asap.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
Good Morning, Bonneville.  Here we are -- the first morning of the first day of the Shootout 2011.  We'll be starting with motorcycles.

First of all -- last night when I posted a list of who's running -- I forgot Erin Hunter and Andy Sills.  They're going to be running a BMW S1000 -- looking for an unofficial record 'cause there is no class for a two-up bike.  Yep - a few years ago these two ran a BMW K1200 bike at about 169 two-up, and this year they're hoping that they can go in the 190+ range on the new bike.  They're on the bike right now and heading for the far end start line.

Also right now  - Richard Assen is heading for the far end to make his first run of the meet.  I don't know who'll go first, but it'll be a bike.

I'll post this to let you know I'm on the job - and then get back.  I think Nancy's taken a few photos and you'll get them, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
lets say they run 190 something on the bmw....wonder if
one of the boosted bikes would put one of the crew on theirs
and make a 200 something run...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »
Andy and Erin are about to leave the far end, with Andy steering and Erin holding on.  They'll swap for the return run.  As for putting them on a faster bike -- unh, not a lot of the 'Busa's etc -- have a passenger seat nor pegs and such.  But it'd be interesting. . .

The bike is underway.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
They're through the eight mile.  The measured stretch is in the middle -- from the 5 1/2 to the 6 1/2.

Entry speed 173.9   kilo speed 173.4   mile speed 173.3

Richard Assen ran a 242 through the stretch - using all of the course, right to left, through the mile.

Both riders noted a piece of debris on the track -- and the guilty burrito wrapper has been located by course workers and removed.

Return runs soon.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:47:37 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
Awaiting an FM radio to put out the webcast.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
Now that we've got an hour or so 'til the bikes return -- I'm switching to smaller file sizes for photos so they'll load more quickly.  I'll get snapshots -- ask Ray for quality photos.

It'll be an hour before Richard is ready to run.  The bike doesn't shed heat quickly - and needs to have coolant below about 40C at the beginning of a run.  Right now - at the end -- it'll be about 70-80C.  So - the crew is blowing air through the radiator with a leaf blower (photo later).  They're cleaning tires, etc .  The bike was dripping muddy water from the bodywork when he came into the pits -- the course is sloppy down here at the freeway end.

Andy and Erin (Erin will drive on the return run) can go now, but because of the hassles of lockdowns and such -- both bikes will run in the same tiime slot.

Poteet and Main is about 45 minutes from ready to run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »
And there is my answer.....if they allow two-up on a solo bike .....they would certainly allow a passenger in our sidecar....right.......NEXT YEAR...
Question authority.....always

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
Bob, get in touch with Mike Cook.  Give him time to arrange with his legal folks -- and maybe you will be able to run with passenger in an outfit next time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:17 AM »
bak189....the FIM allows person on sidecar...the same FIM is at Cook Shootout...

did you ask the event organizers about your question..?..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
Other stuff:

Richard Assen's speed qualifies him for an AMA record, which he'll attempt to back up on the next run.  And - if the return AMA run is fast enough to qualify him for the FIM record -- that run will be acceptable (per FIM Charlie) as a down run for the FIM.  Got that?

Speed Demon is being loaded on the trailer, Nearburg's engine is being tuned and warmed, Nish is still in the pits with no engine noise recently (don't know what they're doing).

Speed Demon is noqw leaving the pits to go to the 12 mile (far end).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com