Author Topic: On the scene at World of Speed 2011  (Read 113085 times)

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
Re: On the scene at World of Speed 2011
« Reply #255 on: September 17, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »
Montana Boys, did you get the record you were after?  It looks like you'all made a down run, a return run, and there was enough engine there in the impound to measure the displacement.

Unfortunately, no record for the Fast Four Special this year.  We frantically pulled the head in impound only to find the block was too far gone to make the back up run.  While we're bummed, gaining 11+ MPH in one year ain't too shabby.  Considering V4F roadster records were under 100 MPH just four years ago, needless to say, we're pretty pleased with a 140+ down run.  Now, if we can just keep the darn deck on the block!  We have some creative ideas for next year and are already looking forward to Speedweek 2012.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

www.fastfourspecial.com

PS- Huge congratulations to fellow Montanans Doug and Frank for their continued domination with Salt Cat I and II.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:50:13 AM by V4F STR 60 »
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Cooks' crew is out working.  Looks good for next week.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »
If they're out there working, I'd better get my butt in gear and get out there!!!   :-o   First, though, I have to get that flat tire pumped up on the motorhome...it's been waiting for me at the bend!!  Stupid tire!    :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
Any update, are they going to run records or is the meet cancelled????
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »
It's cancelled.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »
That hurts - would have loved to see the T-2011 team stretch the legs on the Urban Concept Car and fill up their dance card. 

The salt is an unforgiving taskmaster - but Team T-2011 was clearly up to the task!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Maybe we can have a "debriefing" BBQ and get many more stories.

They were cleaning the van when I talked to them an hour ago.

Reality replacing fantasy.

We all know what that's like.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
As has been mentioned, WoS is over.  It's a bit wet out here.  I'm in the pits, preparing to hook the trailer with the Monte Carlo so I can drag it back home.

Weather forecast for the Shootout:  http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=wendover%2C+ut&MR=1

It's 61F now and he forecast thru Wednesday is for highs near 80 with zero chance of precip.  I'd guess that the standing water is gonna evaporate/dissipate into the salt pretty quickly.  I'm not a professional weather guesser (meteorologist) but based on past experience, it looks like we're gonna have good weather for the Shootout. 

Speaking of which, I'm gonna drag my car home, then turn around and come back to cover the FIA schmooze and booze get-together on Sunday and be ready to cover the record attempts on Monday ayem.

In the mean time here are some photos from this morning:

The Vesco team fording the lake at Land's End.

A view of the salt from about halfway between Land's End and the pits.

The exhaust on my Monte Carlo.  I don't think it's gonna buff out.

The underside of the car with an arrow pointing to one of the holes punched thru the floor pan.  I hadn't considered this before, but that hole is right about where the driver's seat bolts in.  I guess I otta thank God pretty profusely for the fact that the driveshaft didn't try to jump into my lap...from the back side.  One other thing visible is the slip joint that's still in the transmission tailshaft.  It snapped off pretty cleanly there.  Makes me wonder about what kinda shape the transmission's in.  Just another excuse to pitch the TH200-4R and install a Tremec 3550 or a T-56 six-speed.

Offline Freud

« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »
It sure gets empty when everyone leaves for home.

Accept your withdrawal symptoms.

Go do the Honey Do List because it starts all over again in a day or two.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2011, 03:37:08 PM »
I just want to say congrats to all that made it happen, to all of the records everyone worked so hard to get and never saying we can't do it. The workers that give up the time and put in endless hours know what they face each year.

To all that earned membership into the 200 mph club and the 300 mph chapter.The event records in all category's are just as important for each persons goal. Salt fever is forever and brings most back for they yearly fix.

The efforts by the save the salt people deserve a big hand as well.

USFRA thanks for the great event.
Jon Wennerberg, Ray the Rat and Moxnix for the live coverage that was almost like being there.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
I'll make one last post on this thread - and start the new Shootout 2011 thread later on, even though some of these are pertinent to that.  Got it straight now?

First of all, a funky picture taken last night at the Nugget's "Golden Harvest" restaurant.  We had a weird meal/weird service event, but Bill Warner's comp. ice cream sundae sorta made up for some of the weirditude:

Here are three shots of what was the registration and pit "village".  We took these a few hours ago.  The water is going away quickly - but not quick enough to race today  -- there's no question that the meet was properly declared ended.

Here are a pair of shots of the international/Shootout course at about the two mile line from the freeway end.  I make that distinction because, since the course is a two-way course, there's a set of markers counting up from each end.

And finally, a couple of pictures of the engine bay on your regular ol' average hot rod. . .:

That's it for me for now.  Oh, no it isn't -- Ray asked me to let him know about the FIA/FIM social meeting thing tomorrow night.  First of all, it is, unfortunately, by invitation only.  The Shootout drivers meeting is at 3 Sunday afternoon at the freeway end/pits of the Cook course.  FIA will be having its annual board meeting in Wendover this weekend -- and they're hosting a social event at the Montego starting at 6 tomorrow (Sunday) evening.  Ray and Nancy and I will try to get some photos for you all, if nothing else.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
Thanks for all the coverage guys! :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »
Well, it's 4 pm and I'm still at the truck stop.  Tony Johnson, the owner/driver of the other black Monte Carlo ended up here with a blown motor. 

He's gone to Tooele to rent a truck and trailer to get his car back to Wisconsin. 

The last photo is of my serp belt/fan clutch pulley (no fan clutch, since I run an electric fan) with 2 sheared studs.  There's enough of 'em left that I think I can make it home ok.  Jim's gone to deliver some stuff to Don Cyr who blew a headgasket in his 55 Ford...he's staying for the Shootout, so he's replacing the gasket in the motel parking lot. 

The fun never stops at the Asylum.

Offline Tman

« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2011, 06:29:42 PM »
Ray, try and run that one broken stud out and insert a bolt for some piece of mind!

And looking at your tranny, the way the YOKE sheard off I would look at someone like Mark Williams for some better strength stuff.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
Reality replacing fantasy.

We all know what that's like.

FREUD

sure do.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.