Author Topic: Salt conditions?  (Read 46901 times)

Offline SabreTooth

Re: Salt conditions?
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
I also have a picture from 2011 of the Salt & thickness. It was taken at the start line of course #4 (Rookie / Orientation) early on during Speed Week 2011. The start for course 4 was located at the end of the dyke towards I80.

The second picture shows the relationship of the hole to the start line.

The foot model was a kind lady waiting in line.

Jim

P.S. Living in Canada, my brain still cannot comprehend that this is salt not ice, despite the heat. I continue to catch myself talking abut the holes in and reflections from the ice...er, salt. And no, we don't have snow and ice all year round, it just feels like it sometimes during the 7 months of winter.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:30:05 PM by SabreTooth »

Offline dw230

« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
Next time a little more leg please.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
Next time a little more leg please.

DW

I owuld rather see the J.A.P. in his avatar! Well, that and more leg :-D

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »
Just add my 2cents to the topic.

We were pitted about 1/4 mile, maybe a little more, north of Speed Demon on the outside row of the pits. One of the guys with us was asking about the salt thickness so i dug a hole with a screwdriver in the pit.

We had about 3/4 inch of salt before we hit the brown clay.

Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2011, 08:54:49 PM »
We were pitted about 1/4 mile, maybe a little more, north of Speed Demon on the outside row of the pits. One of the guys with us was asking about the salt thickness so i dug a hole with a screwdriver in the pit.

We had about 3/4 inch of salt before we hit the brown clay.

I didn't go digging any holes as I felt like a guest the whole week but I'm kind of shocked to hear that. In areas, typically on the edge of the lake, where the salt is that thin at Lake Gairdner it collapses under the weight of the traffic. To me the salt felt fat and I didn't see any of the collapsed areas like I just mentioned that we see here. The problem we had in 07 with thin salt was seemingly related to the huge amount of topsoil that was washed onto the arm where we race during a storm, but under it was still another six or more inches of salt.

The pot-holes on the road to lands end were something I hadn't seen on the salt before, like I said ours seems to behave more like ice when it is too thin....then again , in the grand scheme of things, I'm a Johnny come lately. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
The food concession had a barrel of soda-s on ice ... It was sweating from the heat and where it pooled it put the salt cover in liquid suspension which created a window in the surface. It was only a inch to the mud substrate. 

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2011, 10:51:57 PM »
I owuld rather see the J.A.P. in his avatar! Well, that and more leg :-D

Without hijacking this thread, I can oblige on the one J.A.P. count.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3693.msg169149.html#msg169149

The other will have to wait for an opportune thread.  :-D

Cheers,
Jim

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
NOAA has a live camera at the truck weigh station. You can check that daily. MESO something has hourly documentation on temps, precip and so on. I have been checking from up here each day and haven't seen any reports of rain. If anyone has been out to the salt in the last week maybe they can share what they see. We travel about 840 miles to get there and don't want to waste a trip at $4.00 a gallon when my faithful old tow rig only gets 8mpg towing. Absolutely worth it just to be there though.