Author Topic: 2011 Bonneville Speedweek Videos ~ Post em here!  (Read 17563 times)

Offline dw230

Re: 2011 Bonneville Speedweek Videos ~ Post em here!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
I found this on Face Book, thanks Joanie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf1OWJiVWkM

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
Bob IMO it has nothing to do with tires. Anyone with a pointed car will never feel it. It's a process of "aero" and trying to push the air out of the way and either running out of HP or only using what you need to qualify for a new licence.

About 6 years ago a gentleman came with a turbo small block Chevrolet in a street roadster and needed to go thru rookine orientation and his licensing. The car was easily powerful enough to get him in the 200 MPH club. On Wednesday when I parked next to him in impound he came over said said he almost quit during his qualifying runs. He new what RPM was needed forrunning below 149, 174, 199 so he accelerated to the RPM and held it. Guess What? when you do that you are "out of power" or your car thinks so. Being it had a 32 grille shell it started darting all over the track. Each new licence run was not under full power but no one had told him this would happen including me during inspection. His final qualifing run for the record and record were under full throttle and 2 runs were a smooth and straight and he got his "hat". He said he never realized he should have kept a mild acceleration ending the timed mile while still accelerating then it would have never happened. Since that time I have made it a point to tell new roadster drivers licensing to be prepared or accerate thru the early miles and not to just hold the throttle at a set RPM.

I'm no expert but I took that ride between the 4 and 5 on my return record run. I had qualified at 205 in the 5 still accelrating. The next morning I ran that same 205 in the 3 and was accerating at the 4 to 214. No problem. Then it ran out of HP and I let it have it's head as it moved all over the course for the next mile hoping it would not spin. I went 215 in the 5 and many drivers came up after to congatulate me but laughed when I told them what happened...No one told me either. :-D

It's why I love stand up roadsters...................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
Here is Kix's truck with Kris driving on a return run.

http://youtu.be/bevnR5RPE4o

We had a blast and hope to return with hairdryers in 2013.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
  Thanx, J.D.  Maybe that's why a lot of driver's drive "into the chute" rather than disengage the clutch and then pull the chute.  I have been one of the latter, but I think next year I will try the first method.                                Bob
Bob Drury

Offline KathyO

• KOB Racing
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
In case you missed it, Glen Barret was honored with Person of the Year at the Bonneville 200 MPH Club banquet. I took video with my point and shoot camera.

http://youtu.be/ImCBPVJup6U

Kathy O

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »
  Thanx, J.D.  Maybe that's why a lot of driver's drive "into the chute" rather than disengage the clutch and then pull the chute.  I have been one of the latter, but I think next year I will try the first method.                                Bob

Not that I'll ever drive into a chute (unless I rear end someone in the pits) but does driving into the chute damage the salt like it does the dirt at El Mirage?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 12:22:15 AM »

Not that I'll ever drive into a chute (unless I rear end someone in the pits) but does driving into the chute damage the salt like it does the dirt at El Mirage?

How does it damage the dirt?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:36 AM »
The wheels are still driving and sometimes you can have a "sandpit" just past the lights. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline dw230

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »
I think the 'sandpit' is a result of poor course conditions, number of runs rather than driving into the parachute.

I am open to theories.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
I brought this up a few years ago and the big cause was cars getting on the brakes hard at the end. Driving into the chute isn't the problem. The sedans and heavier cars were plowing the dirt with the front tires.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
..."plowing the dirt with the front tires".  Better than how too many motorcycle riders - mostly fresh newbies -- brake.  They commonly step on the rear brakes (quite a few have a brake pedal rather than brake lever) in a panic, which slows the bike enough to load the front wheel and lighten the rear, and the rear locks up and slides.  We saw it happen (again) about a week ago.

Please -- if you're a bike rider -- take some professional schooling on how to ride a bike properly.  I've ridden more than a quarter-million miles and am a member of a couple of 200 MPH Clubs -- and I've taken five rider schools.  It's never too late to try to learn something.  And -- schools are fun.  You're turned out on a race track for all day, with about 3 riders per instructor and lots of information.  Do it!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Brakes, we dont need no stinkin brakes at Bonneville. It takes me about 11/4 miles to exit the course from 220+mph, with no braking and no downshifting. I kind of ease my head up as soon as I rollout of the throttle, by the time I am down to 200 I am sitting up all the way. Air brakes only. :-D :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline travisspeed

• New folks
    • http://www.Bike410.com
Bike 410 One Fast Turbocharged Yahama r6 naked :) Top Speed 182 in 2011
scta 650ccM-BF 169 M-BG 175.553
AMA 650cc M-BG 173.038
First year @ Bonneville 1986

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
Welcome to the Kilo Club.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:26:40 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 10:29:06 PM »
The 2100 team had our share of challenges. We came to Bonneville as rookies with an understanding we had a lot to learn. But even so we had three goals in mind, 1st get to speedweek which proved to be a challenge but we made it. 2nd go over 200 in a D/CGALT which we did and 3rd set a record which we did not come closing to doing. My conclusion it was worth every minute, every dime ad every part that lays waste in the junk pile.

Here is the rear camera view of my "A" license run. Only ran to the 4 mile.

http://youtu.be/ZnrvAylCNeU

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM