Author Topic: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011  (Read 209904 times)

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
Re: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »

Part 2 of the you tube compilation, 12 min long.  I had a terrific Sat-Mon spectating, this wraps it up nicely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJC1K_o-eOg

If link doesnt work try searching "  Speed Week 2011 Part 2  on you tube.
That's a great compilation! What did you use for video editing software? Those fades were nice!

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
Well, well -- Nancy and I are NOT at the salt - for the first time in more than a week and a half.  We left Wendover about 2 this afternoon and have made it all the way into SLC for the night.  We'll visit Scott Horner's shop to drop off a bike for some tuning and for a visit with him and a handful of other racers, and also try to see the kids of ours that live here.  Then, tomorrow morning, we'll head to home.  I think I hear the cats meowing to us all this way away from them.

We had a decent week, breaking neither records nor parts.  Nancy ran about 190 a handful of times, and we've traced the lack of super-duper speeds to a couple of things -- including a lack of fully twisting her wrist.  I got in one last pass yesterday - 196.79 - and had a blast riding it down the #1 long course.  A few issues with the run - but nothing that a bit of thought and consideration and modifications to the brain won't fix.

We managed to attend the 200 MPH Club banquet and the City/SCTA-BNI worker feed and party, we went to the "hot rod" show and walkabout Saturday evening at the Nugget.  We had a fine time working with the other volunteer workers and many of the businesses in the Wendover community.

And most of all, we both enjoyed talking with literally hundreds of folks that visit this Forum and this site.  Thanks for making me feel that I'm doing something that you find beneficial, educational, and enjoyable.

We failed you all when we didn't manage to get the on-line streaming audio to run.  That was a big disappointment to everyone -- including me.  I'm pretty sure we'll get it working for World of Speed, though, and once the "ice is broken" we should be better able to continue it at future events.

For those who haven't already found it, here's a link to the SCTA site pages where the results are posted.  Thanks for the SCTA folks -- mostly Ed Safarik -- that put the data up there.  The last day (today, Friday) info. should be up soon.  Link:  http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/Speedweek%202011/results.html

That's it for now.  Stay tuned, and thanks for visiting landracing.com and this Forum.  I'l get back to you all soon.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:39:29 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »
    Jon,
    If you're coming by Columbus tomorrow the Salt Cat Palace is open and has a vacancy if the timing is right for you. If there's room, you can take the donation with you. Glad you had a good week. You guys earned it. Thanks.
    Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
Thanks Jon, for everything.  :cheers:

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2011, 11:37:19 PM »

Part 2 of the you tube compilation, 12 min long.  I had a terrific Sat-Mon spectating, this wraps it up nicely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJC1K_o-eOg

If link doesnt work try searching "  Speed Week 2011 Part 2  on you tube.

I watched parts one and two.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »
Back to you, Doug.  We're in SLC tonight and will probably make it to Billings tomorrow night, or maybe even farther if we get a decent start in the morning.  I could see a quick stop to void and see your palatial digs in the afternoon.  PM (or email) me a phone number (or did you and I just don't remember) and we'll give you a warning call as we're in Bozeman or something -- which should give you plenty of time to come up with an excuse for why you're not home when we get nearby.

As for the donation -- crap -- we don't have the race trailer with us, and the back of the pickup is full.  We'll see if we can cram it in -- or will think about fetching it along with us when we return to Bville for Wos.  No, No, dang it, we won't do it then, either, 'cause we'll be driving through Denver to see the oldest and his newly-pregnant wife on the way from Skandia, Michigan to WoS.  Unh, maybe we can tie it to the roof of the pickup -- or maybe we'll have to wait 'til we drive back home after WF.  Show it to us and I'll take photos and maybe see if I can do something with those, hey?

Ah, the planning that goes into a trip that we knew about months ago.  But -- we'll be in touch tomorrow.  For sure.  Absolutely.  Probably.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gman

« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »

Danny Burrow, Troy Trepanier and George's Cameltoe Racing Blowfish are shooting to become the 4th (or maybe 5th) "car" with a speed over 300 mph. .

Ray,  What were the other "cars" than went over 300? :?
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »

Danny Burrow, Troy Trepanier and George's Cameltoe Racing Blowfish are shooting to become the 4th (or maybe 5th) "car" with a speed over 300 mph. .

Ray,  What were the other "cars" than went over 300? :?

One was George Field's Trackmaster (48 or so Simca), then the Lindsley & Leggit Firebird, MacDonald & Pitts Firebird, Kugel & LeFevers Firebird and (of course) the Blowfish.  I coulda sworn that John Rains had run over 3 bills, (he has the D/PS record at 297.633) but it's not in the record listing.  If there are others that have run over 300, could someone fill in the gaps in my knowledge, please?

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #323 on: August 20, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
There are the 3 roadsters.
From the SCTA records pages.

Howe's Welding Spl         A/BFMR    in '91
Emmons, Nickle, Roberts      A/FMR     in '99
Cummins-Beck-Davidson-Thornsberry   A/BFR     in '10

But I guess you are wanting "closed" cars?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #324 on: August 20, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
If your talking doorslammers then the trackmaster should be taken out.  And blow fish with it's highly modified front end is pretty fishy. :-D. The rest are accurate.   :cheers:  Rains was very close, I believe he went 299 and change, but unofficially was probably over 300.  There was one other car very close but I always forget who he was, he ran a firebird also and spun it back in the late 80's to early 90's. :cheers:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #325 on: August 20, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
Big thanks to SSS, RtR and the rest that make this happen and feed us poor soles a dose of salt.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #326 on: August 20, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
"Quick Pix" photos from SW.  I tossed some images and HTML together and came up with some stuff on my server covering SW:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2011/sw/pix/Welcome.html

Many of the photos were posted here, but might be worth a 2nd look...and I re-edited some and added some others.  Photos like this moon shot and fireworks photo were fun to get, but a bitch to edit: 

I still can't get rid of the pixellation in it.  If ya know a trick, I'd be very grateful if you could share said technique.  The moon shot is actually an HDR combination of 3 images. That helps keep the illumination in check with the full moon and the head/taillight tracers on the ground...but it didn't help the pixellation.

Oh, well.  Hope you enjoy 'em as I did shootin 'em...well, at the first of the week, anyway.  I was pretty well toast by Wednesday...and I split Thursday afternoon instead of Friday.  The critters at Jack Rabbit Flats gave me a full refund on my reservation.  :)

...well, that's where I was most of the time and I'll be there for BUB.

See ya then

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: August 20, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »
Guys,  I screwed up  I miss posted and it trying to move my mistake I moved WOS to Speed week---sorry!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #328 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »
If your talking doorslammers then the trackmaster should be taken out.  And blow fish with it's highly modified front end is pretty fishy. :-D. The rest are accurate.   :cheers:  Rains was very close, I believe he went 299 and change, but unofficially was probably over 300.  There was one other car very close but I always forget who he was, he ran a firebird also and spun it back in the late 80's to early 90's. :cheers:

I agree about Trackmaster, but those I spoke with always included it as a slammer.  It's about as much a "car" as Hollifield's Fiat:

Fishy Blowfish, huh?  :)

Thanks for the info.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #329 on: August 20, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
There are the 3 roadsters.
From the SCTA records pages.

Howe's Welding Spl         A/BFMR    in '91
Emmons, Nickle, Roberts      A/FMR     in '99
Cummins-Beck-Davidson-Thornsberry   A/BFR     in '10

But I guess you are wanting "closed" cars?

Yeah.  I should have been more specific.