Author Topic: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011  (Read 209877 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: On the Scene at SpeedWeek 2011
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
Speaking of the solar panel units, I wrote up a 'build' article on how to install them on my trailer. It is at http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10171.0.html. So far so good. It is keeping my big battery charged and I have trailer lights and AC power.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
Quick update:  Both the Speed Demon and Spirit of Rett ran a few minutes ago.  Demon was a turnout (one of the crew members told me, "we really need this run"...didn't get it) and Nearburg in Rett ran around 370 to back up his class record (old record in A/GS was 350.)

More as I get it.

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
Wow! Thanks for the updates on my 'lunch break'.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

Quick update:  Both the Speed Demon and Spirit of Rett ran a few minutes ago.  Demon was a turnout (one of the crew members told me, "we really need this run"...didn't get it) and Nearburg in Rett ran around 370 to back up his class record (old record in A/GS was 350.)

More as I get it.

A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2011, 12:35:26 PM »
These shots are some of the "fast guys" that ran just recently.  I don't have any speeds, although Nish turned out at the 1.5 mile.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
The 428 Chauvin Emmons car ran this morning, trying to back up yesterday's 325 (on a 280 record).  The speed in the last mile wads 311 -- with a BIG ball of fire following the car.  They'll get the record - but here are some shots of the fun Dan will have tio deal with when measuring the motor:

Here are shots of the cars in impound getting their engines measured, including a few of the Blowfish that just barely cracked 300, running poorly -- but still good enough.  I don't have all of the speeds - will keep trying.  But for now - enjoy the photos.

Note Pork Pie, on the roof of the hauler, taking a photo of Seth Hammond's car:

Lazy crazy HAZY days of SpeedWeek?

Here's a detail of the car Jim and Mary True are working with:

Nancy and I were walking back to our pit and Fred Dannenfelzer's car went past, heading to the line -- I hope.  It's got a V8 this year (last year it was a four) -0- I'll keep you apprised of the runs and speeds:

Later, boys and girls. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
Chavin Jr. .........Small price to pay for a "blue" hat..+...A year to rebuild..........Good Goin'
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline vintage racer

• 414B 350cc 1941 Indian 106.001
    • IversenOriginals.com
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
Bill Ross just called. He's running a 1987 Moto Guzzi, 5154B. On the first run Sat am he qualified and backed it up for a record of 169.770. He changed classes on Sunday and went out again, threw a rod. Damaged a piston, cam, bent valve, shrapnel in the motor etc. To top it off, the storm blew in later and took down their tents and left 4-5" of mud on the top of most everything in their campsite. Time to go home....until he made a call and recieved an offer of a new valve shipped overnite to Wendover. He had most of the other parts with him. They are currently waiting for the package to arrive.
Other news...he said it was breezy today (about an hour ago) with an 8-9 mph crosswind.
Bill Serivce, running the black '49 Plymouth said it was not pulling high gear so they were going back out and try giving a 100 shot of nitrous at the right time and pick up the speed. (fastest has been 171mph)
Kent and Randy arrived on the salt and Kent made a shakedown pass on the electric bike...real nice run. He will be back out later today.
Bill Anderson, Screwball racing, 7919B, just made a pass and Bill Ross thought it sounded real good but didn't catch the speed. He's heading over to see who's in impound and will give a call later. Mud, rods and shrapnel...sounds like fun and that's the truth to all of us sitting at home.

Offline Papi

« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
Thanks Jill for the update on K&R. Hope they go after the "new" record!!!
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »
I'm back and sitting here looking at the pictures on all these pages, and if you're marveling at the beauty of the cars they've shown, they weren't picked for their looks.  The quality of the entries is the highest ever.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
I'm back and sitting here looking at the pictures on all these pages, and if you're marveling at the beauty of the cars they've shown, they weren't picked for their looks.  The quality of the entries is the highest ever.

Enjoyed meeting you! Sorry to hear about the wheel issues on your A. After I left yesterday, Tim who I was crewing for in the #416 Production pickup (Seafoam 62 Unubody) got his C license with two more great passes

He also had two magazine shoots on the salt. Not bad for the first time out witht he truck! :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »
Daurenheim and Biglow lakester about to run (hope I didn't do too bad with my spelling).  They're running on a Tanis Hammond 314 record.  I'll get the speeds for you.  The car runs a 582 cu.in Chevy and the body is very similar to the Speed Demon's shape.

Quarter mile speed:  258   mile 3  256  4 mile 291  5 mile 302.301    Not enough to qualify, but 302 ain't chump change.  Good run for this new car.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline basher13

« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Back home as well, wondering how the 142 crew is doing...D/BSTR in impound 3 times in 3 days! They've got the speed but are having some other issues. Getting a close up view of the GUS GUS car was a real treat as well...I had asked one of the SCTA inspectors if they'd be able to run, after taking his hat off, he said that the car was a little further in technology than what they were used to seeing and that they'd get out for some runs.
Beautiful cars and other than the storm that came in Sunday night the weather was real nice. Already can't wait for September!
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the information about all of the racers.

Any fast bikes besides the Honda Turbo bike and Hudsons 1000 bike?

Looks like the little bikes are getting it done better than others?

Also condolences to the family and friends of the photographer that passed recently..

John

Offline Richie

• New folks
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
any info on the costella/cunha liner ... noticed they ran a 223 are they running the 750 or 500cc ?   Any idea on what that liner wieghs

Thanks for the pics

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
John, SSS can prolly tell ya better than I about the bikes.  I'll leave it in his lap.  Unfortunately, I can't provide any info about the 146 car...but I'll keep my eyes and ears open the next time I'm in the pits or Impound.

Right now (2:30 MDT) I'm between the course 1 and 2 starting lines and I have my solar charger hooked up to prevent a rerun of yesterday's unpleasantness.  But setting it up in the hot sun (even with a hat, shades and gloves)...plus listening to the goofy music from the ice cream truck for the last 30 minutes has me a little goofier than usual.  So I'm gonna post some (sorta) goofy photos (or captions:

Danny Burrow after getting the Blowfish certified for the 307.339 record: "Hurry and take the picture!  I've been in this suit since 7:30 and I'm about to melt!"

"Hey!  You with the hat!  Yeah, You!  Find us some shade!  It's HOT out here!

"Vroom, vroom!"

George Poteet's sister (Betty, a true southern belle) asked me to get photos of George smiling.  Harder than h*ll.  Yesterday when I saw him talking with someone in impound, he seemed to be in a pretty good mood and was smiling and laughing.  So I raised the camera, hit the shutter release...and the camera died.  I told Betty that it was impossible to get a shot of him smiling cuz when I did, it broke the camera.  I told George the story today and got a pretty good laugh and smile from him.  Besides...the camera just chose that moment to run outta battery.  :)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:14:19 PM by RayTheRat »