Author Topic: Hello, newbie to your world with lots of questions....  (Read 2027 times)

RabidPony

Hello, newbie to your world with lots of questions....
« on: February 15, 2006, 03:05:39 PM »
Hey all.  Name's Jonathan from Pensacola, FL.  Drive a 98 Mustang vert that I'm constantly tinkering with.  I'm slowly working my car in the direction of competing in some top speed events and am on a quest for knowledge to assist in that.

For now, I'll limit myself to one (well, two really) of the more important questions that will dictate just how far I need to go to reach my goal.  Where could I find out the LSR for a street legal car, and separately a convertible?  I know there may not be such a thing and if not, so be it, I'll just modify my goal accordingly, but those are my targets as of now so I need to find out what I'm up against.

I know the debate of what's street legal and what isn't will never be resolved but that's not going to stop me from trying.  To me, it's a fully licensed and insured car that runs on pump gas, has a/c, a stereo, full interior, and tolerable street manners (ie. doesn't die at every light because of an over the top cam profile and overheat at the drop of a hat).

From my limited perusal of your site here, you seem to be a well educated and very well rounded lot so I eagerly anticipate absorbing any and all knowledge and experience that any of you are willing to share.  Also know that I'm not just trying to jump into this blind, I am doing my homework on all aspects of things speed related and have an ever growing library of books at my disposal to aid in this (soon to include several rule books for such things).  Any suggestions as to good books on the subject or where to find them would be much appreciated as well as where I can obtain all of the necessary rule books for sanctioning bodies.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just a smidge long winded.  8)

Jono

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
florida new guy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:30:07 AM »
Okay, nobody's jumped on this one -- so even though I'm one of THOSE -- a bike guy -- I'll give it a shot.

Get in touch with the ECTA, find out about the 1-2 April Hot Rod magazine event at Maxton, and get your nappy butt up to see that event -- whether or not you plan to compete.  I don't know the convertible car rules -- don't know how fast you'll be allowed to run without a roll bar and other safety stuff -- but I know that Maxton's not all that long a ride for you, that there's be a zillion or so kindred spirits there for you to pester with questions, and eye candy that'll get you hooked on LSR even more.

Also consider the USFRA -- there's the "130 Club" where I think you'll be allowed to run your convertible on the Salt without a rollbar (but please check before you drive out to Wendover if that's the only reason you go out there).  Joining the SCTA-BNI will get you that rulebook, which is the same that the USFRA uses (join that group, too -- they all ask a pretty reasonable membership fee, need the support of all of us, and give nice membership cards for your wallet.  Be forewarned that one visit to the Salt will mean that you forsake foreverany hope of having excess disposable income -- it's addicting!

There's a link to ECTA on the home page of landracing.com, and links to SCTA/BNI and USFRA, too.  Join up, get your rule book(s), start asking questions, learn to put up with racer-talk, and get back to us with questions.

Got it?  We look forward to seeing you soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
hello newby
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:29:37 AM »
Per SCTA RULES, Convertibles must have a full roll cage and run with the top up and rear windows up. All others safety rules apply as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah