Author Topic: New here...intro and simple question.  (Read 9686 times)

Baatfam

New here...intro and simple question.
« on: February 13, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »
Good mornin'....name's Bob Thieda, I just joined the other day.
I friend of mine, who's been reading your e-mail list for a couple years, has talked a few of us into going out to Bonneville as a group.
Our target date is 2010.  We feel that will give each of us enough time to review the rules and put something together to run.
We are all bracket racers, (my buds race cars and I race bike), and have some experience with class racing, rule books and safety equipment.  We all have trailers, tow vehicles, scooters and pit stuff.  We have access to welders, machinist, etc., etc.
As a group we are 30-50 years old, (at least I'll be 50 in April), and have families, so we are not jumping into this lightly.
We are not looking to break any particular records, (although we would if we could), just for each of us to put something together and run for the fun of it.  Say we did it.
As of yet, none of us know what we will run, but I'll probably stick with a bike of some sort.  (I've got an old BSA M20 in the garage)

And the question.....?
Are crazy...or does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks,
Bob T.

landracing

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »
Bob,

Welcome to the site, I am the owner/webmaster of this site...

I do a reasonable job, except with spelling and grammar, although Jon W. does a very good job and sometimes keeps me on guard... But neither are a requirement here..

I think the bike idea is great... Why? It gets you started in Bonneville for a reasonable cost... And there are tons of classes for you to go in...

Keep asking your questions and we will all do our best to help guide you in the right direction...

Becarefull of the JackD character, he often makes no sense and he makes you think too hard..

Jon

Baatfam

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:22:14 AM »
Quote from: landracing
I think the bike idea is great... Why?

LOL...I figured it would be just because you like bikes.  :D

Thanks for the warm welcome....

I'll be doing some reading and buying a rule book when the come out.
Not to mention some research on side valve motors :wink:

Bob T.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:54:47 AM »
The only thing I can see wrong with your plan is the 2010 deal. I think you should shoot for 2007 at the latest. Once you have run flat out on 3 miles of salt, you will be sorry you waited.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
new here
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
Bob
Welcome to the forum,even if you like bikes.LOL As one of the older ones on the salt I agree with Rich Fox, don't wait 4 more years. At least come up to speedweek an see it, smell it and feel it. You will get salt fever within the first hour and you have to return each year to get a booster shot. If you miss one year it will cause brain damage and you start to act crazy like Jack D. I have been going to Bonneville since 1953 and until last year I spent 21 years in the timing tower. :shock:  :D  
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Salty Blaster

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:12:19 PM »
I second the work toward '07. It does not take a lot to prep a bike for the vintage or production classes. Modified requires just a little more effort. The car guys can go out with you as crew the first time and become acclimated to the experience and required efforts. Besides it's just plain fun to hang out and check it all out!

Join BNI and they will send you a rule book and your on your way. See you on the salt!
Go faster, just don't eat the salt!

Baatfam

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 12:28:10 PM »
Thanks guys....2010 is just a line in the sand.  We would love to do it sooner if possible.  And we do hope to get out there to watch in the next coupld of years.

We were also factoring in some teenagers we need to get out of the house, career issues, yada yada yada....I know...excuses :wink:

'Course I could convert my drag bike over fairly easily...maybe?

OK...back to work, enough dreaming.

Later,
Bob T.

Offline angie64

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
Hey everyone I'm Bob's friend who has been lurking on the e-mail list for a little over two years.

I would have been out there last year to watch if it wasn't for all the water.

I am thinking about building an S10 truck, no special reason it just looks like it would be fun to build. If anyone has any advise I would love to hear it.

My plan goes like this:
Step 1 think about it for two years. Done
Step 2 get a rule book.
after that it gets kind of vague and fuzzy.

Later,
Angie (Bill Angelini)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Drag Bike
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:07:41 PM »
Quote from: Baatfam

'Course I could convert my drag bike over fairly easily...maybe?
Bob T.

...here's one from the DLRA , just finished in time for the meet at Lake Gairdner.....from memory he's spent about 6 grand AUS on it...in a former life it did eights...stock mill for now with a view to spending.It belongs to Ben James DLRA# 389 , he smokes...

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260&start=30
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Baatfam

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:11:36 PM »
Real nice lookin' bike..... 8)

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 12:20:10 AM »
it is 2010 if you would like,

but there is so much to learn .......
 if you could just come out this next year event,
to spectate take lots of photos and ask a lot of questions,
you wil see many ways that the various builders have done things....

this insite will give you a lot of ideas to help you in your build-up.

be carefull of ..."Jack-D"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
CAREFUL ?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 12:56:17 AM »
Kato is building my grandson's drag race motor and careful is good advice for him.  LOL :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Baatfam

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 09:14:01 AM »
Quote from: Kato Engineering
it is 2010 if you would like,

but there is so much to learn .......
 if you could just come out this next year event,
to spectate take lots of photos and ask a lot of questions,
you wil see many ways that the various builders have done things....

this insite will give you a lot of ideas to help you in your build-up.

We most defiantly plan on coming out to watch in the next 2-3 years.... 8)
And maybe a trip or two to Maxton also...as that is about half the distance from here.

I must admit though...excitement is building and I did uncover the M20 frame/motor assembly last night and did a little garage racing.... :wink:

Later,
Bob T.

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »
Just do a quick regear of your dragbike and make sure it has all the stuff required in rulebook and come on out.You don't have to break a record to run and have fun.Gotta get your feet wet sometime,and if you wait too long the record you were watching will likely be upped.
Great looking bike,the Kawi--I'll keep my eyes peeled for it in a couple of weeks.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »
Heck,you just need to jump on I-80 and head west until you get to Nevada border.Just a hop,skip,and jump.And bring the teenagers.My son has run 2 different bikes here,started off on a 50cc Derbi and we had a turboed Yamaha for last year--too bad we were rained out.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!