Author Topic: engine corrosion  (Read 2104 times)

Offline john robson

engine corrosion
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
Getting ready for SW and once again I am ordering pistons. All crowns are covered in a rough white powder. I thought I had resolved the problem last year when I sprayed 2-cycle into the blower hat until the motor smoked after each run. I suspect the the cooling motor draws salt in with moisture. If so,I fear that the damage is done overnight in impound. Two years ago we lost a MLS head gasket to corrosion. If anyone has dealt with this problem I would greatly appreciate suggestions. A local machine shop operator has suggested spraying LPS into the motor as he has a customer who races a hydroplane in salt water who claims that works. Absent advice from someone with experience, that will be my plan.

Offline jdincau

Re: engine corrosion
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »
Is this what you are referring to? If so, on ours it is a residue from the ERC A-18A that we were running, don't have it with ERC 110K or VP C-12
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:44:02 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

efenn611

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »
We would pull the plugs and spray 5 seconds of wd40 into every hole, then spray into the injector while turning the blower/motor for at least 20 seconds, every night before putting the car to bed.   Never any corosion.

ED

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
I go with the LPS instead of the WD40. WD40 tends to etch the metal slightly, though it is a Water Dispersant developed to protect rocket nozzles.

Offline john robson

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »
I use WD40 in the shop and it gets by the rings and into the oil pan. I don't like that and would not use it without draining the oil.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
could it be an electrolytic issue?...or a mixed metal situation?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline jww36

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
If anyone is interested, I have come accross a product that is the best I have ever seen. It is a multi-purpose product called 12/34. It removes moisture, prevents rust, penetrates, and lubricates. The actual lubricant in this product is turbine oil. The company that makes the 12/34 lubricant, Armite Laboratories Inc. also makes the best anti-seize in the world (it actually contains lead). Up until very recently, both products weren't available on a retail level. Go on their website to get more information. 

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
What oil are you using?

The two most common sources of deposits are build up of lead salts from leaded racing fuels, and ash residue from the additives in some oils.

The only way to know for sure would be to get a sample analysed.

If it was just salt crust build up you might want to see if the powder is water soluble or if put in a hot flame has the same flame color as table salt.

You might also take a piston to a local college chemistry professor and see if one of his students would be interested in trying to figure out what the residue is.

Larry

Offline john robson

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »
A-8C (lots of lead) and 20/50 GTX. I like the idea of the chem prof and am going to do it.