Author Topic: Electromotive Tech 2  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Electromotive Tech 2
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
You've discovered one good reason for the SSS moniker, Charles.  Though -- it really is "Wen-ner-berg", just like it is spelled.  I know, I know, why pronounce things like they look -- why not add some foreign accent, like maybe one from North Carolina?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »
LOL Slim!

So I talked to Uwe today on this Tec 2 stuff & he told me that the main problem with these older unit's is being able to communicate with them on a current laptop. He suggested I send them in so they can evaluate em & go from there. Apparently they are upgradable with an eprom so in the words of a famous LSR friend of mine "we'll see".
 Thanks to everyone on the whole "UWE" thing, OO-VAY worked fine.
 Coming from down under, my first guess was YOU-EE but I figured that'd be wrong. When we make a U turn we "chuck a youee".

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
CHUCK A YOU-EE People :-o :-D :cheers: :cheers:
I Like it.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »
Okay, I just spoke with Uwe today, who has a brother named "Maike", (pronounced "Mike" - go figure).

Super helpful guy.  I mentioned that his name was a topic of discussion on the boards, and he chuckled, and clued me in as to the easiest way to pronounce it.  The vowel pronunciation is the same as

"to the"

with "the" being pronounced as one would when using it in a sentence preceding a word that starts with a consonant.

So if you say "Ooo Vah", he'll know you're talking to him, and you'll be talking "to the" man.   

But it doesn't explain the "w".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline hitz

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:08 AM »
Kiwi belly tank,

The Tech II's came dedicated as a 4 or 6 or 8 and 12 cyl. unit.

I don't beleive you could run duel plugs with the eight cyl. verson.

The early ones were run in DOS. Windows '95 and '98 were recomended for the laptop

The upgrade is Wintec II and runs in Windows '95 and '98.

To data record the laptop had to be in/on the vehicle.

The wire connectors plugged in to the ECU on the side with set screws to hold them (like an early VW or Porsche) and are not salt proof without special attention.

The two DFU coils were mounted on the top of the ECU and made for a very compact unit. Seemed like the hi-voltage coils on the top of the ECU wouldn't be a good idea but mine didn't give me any problems. Most of my problems were finding a laptop that would support it. They are getting old!

A loose power wire to the injectors did the ECU drivers in. My fault.

A friend gave me a Tec 3 that he had upgraded to Tec 4. Allowed me to continue on with my effots in LSR. Thanks Steven.

Another friend gave me a laptop that had XP on it which was recommended to run the Tech 4. Thank you Rex.

Nice to have good friends and there are plenty more to thank. :-D

Harvey

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »
Hey Harvey, This KB600 engine came with two 8cyl Tec 2's. It was previously run as turbo'd gas with one unit driving the efi & one set of plugs & the other unit driving the 2nd set of plugs. By their serial #'s they are a matched pair. I got nothing else with the eng except the Tec 2's, no intake, no injectors & no wiring harness or sensors. The plan is to run alky efi & turbo's so if I can get these units back up & running it will save me a pile of $$ that I don't have. Uwe at Electromotive tells me he can bench test these units if I send them to him. I have worked with the HPX like I said but that has simple adjustments built into the unit, easy for a hammer n screwdriver guy like me. I'd like to get the operators instructions for these so I can at least understand the system.
    Can anyone help me there?? Sid.   

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »
Tec 2 User's Guide http://electromotive-inc.com/pdf_files/WinTEC2SUG.pdf
That's all I could find.
 Richard
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline hitz

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »
Kiwi belly tank,

You can use standard GM sensors from the wrecking yard. Mine were all from a '98 Saturn. The stock Map sensor won't work with the Turbo though.

If you have two 8 cyl. units you could probably set them up for staged injection and run 16 injectors :-o along with your 16 plugs.

Electromotive has everything you need. E-Bay has somethings on line, like the 60 minus 2 timing wheels.

Looks like Richard 2 has got you fixed up with the sites so you can down load and print out the manuals. Did you get any software with the units?

Have fun,

Harvey

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »
 Reen,
       You're just about talking a foreign language to me there mate, My ignition vocabulary would sound more like 'stab the mag & buzz it then we'll throw a light on it'.
 No I did not get the software with the package, I was not aware until recently that I needed software (is that like fluffy underware) joke! My previous experience has been with the HPX & not being any the wiser I just expected the Tec system to be like an OBD-2 that is pre programed, my learning curve is going up a big hill right now.
 The company who built the eng package are no longer in business. I spoke to the guy I bought it from (original owner) & he is going to see if he got the software with it but I don't hold much hope.
 I got the trigger wheel & the dual crank sensor bracket with the eng but no sensors. I see on ebay there are
 updated prom's available for not allot of $$, is this something I should buy or just leave the whole upgrade thing to Electromotive??
 As for multiple injectors, I have spoken to Mike Moran on injectors & he can build me 8 alky units that will support 2500hp. So I plan to start there & see if we can put that to the ground & not break a bunch of stuff. Then if we need more I can lean on the turbo's & add a second set of injectors. & before you ask, yes it is 4wd.  Sid.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »
It's usability has been honed over that time to give the best experience possible and to find the perfect balance between ease of use for beginners and powerful features for the advanced. The facilities it offers are those which are of the most use - no "flowery" or "pretty" features just because they look good!  The collection of graphing tools provided gives users immediate feedback on the most meaningful data within the data logs, and the Power Graph calculations tell unequivocally the effects your tuning tweaks have had on the car's performance.

I just wanted to spark my engine - this has sparked my imagination.

Can I program it to alleviate my leprechaun infestation without that sour milk smell that analogue and capacitive discharge systems always seem to give off? :?

:-D

Welcome aboard, reenapayel!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
A suspected spambot was discovered just two posts above this one -- and has been made to go away.  The name on the thing was "Reen" - and now you know why Kiwi and MM are responding to Reen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
that's weird