Author Topic: Truckstop-Roadhouse  (Read 2314 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Truckstop-Roadhouse
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:55 AM »
I will be flying into SLC Saturday afternoon Aug 22, (thats a 28 hour flight from Australia). Up earlie Sunday morning and heading north along Highway #15 to Yellowstone, and beyond (yes i am taking the scenic route to BUB`s).
Question :-), where is there a Truckstop-Roadhouse on this route that i will be able to purchase State maps  :? (preferably Rand McNally)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Wester

Re: Truckstop-Roadhouse
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »
The easiest one would be in Ogden.  There's another one a couple of miles just south of the Brigham City exit.  Personally, I like the Highway 89 route through Brigham City, Logan, Bear Lake, Montpelier route through Star Valley it's a more dramatic/scenic drive.  The route up I-15 through Pocatello, Idaho Falls, then over to Rexburg, is lots of farmland and potato fields until you get closer to Driggs where you see the west side of the Tetons.  The pass from Driggs to Jackson is a breathtaking little section of road.   Jackson (it used to be Jackson Hole until the ea$terner$ came in) was built out of the lumber yard in Driggs and you just have to imagine what driving a horse drawn wagon was like going up and then down that pass.  Jackson has grown tremendously but it's still a fun town for tourists to poke around in.  The drive from there to the south entrance to Yellowstone is just one photo opportunity after another and it's hard to take a bad picture along the route.  Plan on a meal at the Jackson Lake Lodge just for the spectacular vistas you see while you eat.  You may forget the meal but you will never forget the scenery.  A side trip to Cody is worth the drive.  There are several good museums there that you could spend days in.  I just hope you stop to enjoy the experience as you drive around there.  You can drive to Wendover from West Yellowstone in a long day of driving with no trouble.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »
As far as obtaining a Rand-McNally atlas -- consider stopping at any Wal-Mart.  Not only do they sell a few variations of the R-McN atlas (large type, trucker's, regular) -- but they also have an edition in which all of the US and Canadian Wal-Mart locations are shown in indexes by state.  As a traveler it's quite often handy to find a Wal-Mart store -- since they have darned near everything a wanderer might want, and having the map include all locations makes finding one of 'em easier.  A bonWal Mart copy is priced at $12.95, the very same content plus the store listing is sold for $5.97 or so.  Save money, but the W-M version. 

The Rand-McNally maps, while pretty good, have their failings -- for instance, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan -- where Nancy and I live -- is displayed poorly, maiking travel to and through it much more difficult than it really is.

We look forward to seeing you here.  We'll be at Bub's to provide some coverage (and I've already confirmed with Delvene that I can get daily run logs).

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »
Thankyou gentleman for the advice given :-), have taken notice and notes :-), Jon i am looking forward to meeting you, and having a yarn about our respective ZX12`s 8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline artmodelman

• New folks
  • Bonneville Salt Flats photographer and author
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
When you arrive at the airport in Salt lake City, give me a ring (anytime night or day) and I'll point you in the right direction to my house. I'm only ten minutes away from the airport on your way north. I'll have a set of really good AAA highway maps for you for free if you can tell me ASAP which way you are headed. I'll have a western US map, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, California, Oregon and Washington highway maps. The AAA maps are about the best you can get and I'll have them here for you.

If you are interested in seeing all 48 states fast, check out the map at our website at greatamericanroadtrip.us
Last year my son and two friends drove all 48 states in 106 hours and 43 minutes nonstop.
 Call me and I'll get these maps to you when you arrive.
 Hope you have a good trip!

Jim Keeler
(artmodelman@gmail.com
801-651-9107

Jim Keeler

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:07:44 AM »
Thankyou gentleman for the advice given :-), have taken notice and notes :-), Jon i am looking forward to meeting you, and having a yarn about our respective ZX12`s 8-)

Slim,looks like we have another masocist 12 owner amongst us!  stay'tee,if you make it to Elmo in Sept,look me up!
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!