Author Topic: To Push Past 400mph Video  (Read 4334 times)

Offline RCKirby

To Push Past 400mph Video
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
I thought I would post this small video vignette of the Nish streamliner making it's first 400 mph pass at the Cook Land Speed Shootout this last September.  Like so many other land speed racers, there was a lot of blood, sweat and real tears that went into this achievement.

The last 4 years had been very disappointing for Terry and Mike Nish as well as chief Cecil McCray and the entire crew.  Terry said quietly that he wondered if he would ever see the streamliner push past 400 mph before he died.  Those that were present as the streamliner finally rolled into the pits after making their first 400+mph pass will not soon forget the pent up emotions displayed by the entire group.

It was an awesome thing to witness and be a part of.

I hope you enjoy "To Push Past 400 MPH"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRcHbkjE34Q

Ron Kirby

Offline Peter Jack

Re: To Push Past 400mph Video
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
Thanks RC. Those guys really earned that run!

Pete

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
Great video.  Thanks for posting.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »
Nancy and I were there -- as many of you remember.  The drama (best word to use) in the Nish family pit all week was something special to see.  The Shootout started with Nish hosting the drivers meeting under their awning, and we were right next to or across from them all during the event.  When Mike got that 400+ run - Mike Cook brought a joyful and humble Terry over to our truck, where I was keeping everyone on the website up to date, and together we showed Terry just how many people world-wide knew right away that the 998 car had finally made it to 400 mph.  To say the Mr. Nish was awed would be an understatement.  But he was a happy man and thanked landracing.com for helping to let the world know that the car had reached a milestone.  Tears of joy?  You betcha!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
That is a great video. I remember Terry driving, loosing chutes and calmly getting the liner stopped safely several times over the years. I have a couple of quarts of Royal Purple tranny fluid the team gave me when I needed to top off a few years back with the Lakester. Great team, lots of heartbreak but now on the road for more records. The competition for these great teams is awesome to behold. We need to keep cheering them on as they push the envelope farther than anyone thought possible.

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:05:54 PM »
Kirby,

All your videos seem to capture great moments on the salt. The audio and video are always first rate. And some forget about the man or woman behind the camera, either Video or Digital image. I know you personally have had your own battles on the salt just doing what you do.

I really want to say thank you for the video's, YOU earned it, and Nish sure earned it.

respectfully,
Jon Amo

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
Thanks for posting it, great vid.

What I did notice is there were some great sound moments that caught my ears attention*. That clank that harnesses make when the shackles hit the bars in the cab during a strap in, the crunch of salt underfoot , the banging in the cabin at the start of run before the car gets up to speed.

I swoon when I hear those sounds.

When it went past on the fast run, it just sounded awesome. Congrats to the Nish team.

EDIT:Slim, I think the cuss-filter is out of control, I had to use this phrase(*) because when I wrote " my ears pr1ck up" it changed it to " penile device"

I'm in enough trouble already here with the central scrutinizers without posting potentially provocative messages about the big hitters in our sport, thanks.

Dr G
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:36:33 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
Thanks, that was good.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
Ah, you've gotta love it, James. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Great video...complete with goose bumps!
Thanks for posting  :cheers:
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Ron,

Another excellent video. Good job.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

HotRodV8

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
RCK - -

In 2009 the first DVD I ever purchased about B'ville was the Nish Royal Purple Streamliner "The Dream of 425 MPH."

The story of father Nish and sons was quite compelling as to a family's dedication to speed performance.

And now they are in the 400's.  It was a good "hear -- say" video. 

Record or no record,
400 Hat or no 400 Hat,
they get a "hats-off" from me.  :cheers:

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
Thanks for great feedback.  Sometimes you wonder how things are received.  If there is one thing I've learned while on the salt...and that is that virtually every vehicle has a great story to tell.  Whether its how the vehicle was built, the record it is after, the people that run it or the achievements it/they have made.  There are tremendous stories in every pit.  Thanks for letting me share some with you.

Ron Kirby
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:59:30 PM by RCKirby »

Offline crusher

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:21 PM »
This is Mike charlton.We were lucky enough to see this in person.My Hero, s.