Author Topic: Unlimited Class  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Unlimited Class
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »

I've got a couple of questions.  I'm thinking about running Speed Week this coming year, then on to the Bub Meet.  Can I run in the Unlimited Class with 2950cc?  I would be running in the Streamliner Side Car Class/Push Rod/Blown Fuel.  When you run Unlimited, if you set a record, is a tear down required for engine size?  If so, why? 

Max   

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Unlimited Class
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »

I've got a couple of questions.  I'm thinking about running Speed Week this coming year, then on to the Bub Meet.  Can I run in the Unlimited Class with 2950cc?  I would be running in the Streamliner Side Car Class/Push Rod/Blown Fuel.  When you run Unlimited, if you set a record, is a tear down required for engine size?  If so, why? 

Max   

Hey that would be great if you were at Speed Week again.  I think the answer to your question is that SCTA doesn't allow running up in classes, so they would want to make sure that you were in the unlimited displacement range.

Personally I originally didn't like this, but now I fully support it in all instances,

Sum

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »

Don Vesco once told me, "It's not what the rules say, it's what the rules don't say."  The term "Unlimited" in it's purest form means to me  1cc or 10,000cc.  You aren't limited to engine size to run in the Unlimited class.

Food for thought.
                                    Max

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
Max   2950 cc would put you in the 3000 cc class . The unlimited class is over 3000cc . Although there is a ug and uf for streamliners although i dont understand all i know about it .Maybe Dan could explain it to you . Would love to see you at speed week .

Sheri Buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:08:36 AM »
3001+  Bring it... :wink:

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:46:28 AM »
Does that mean that I can use our 3.2ltr engine instead of the 2.8?
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:57:54 AM »

The reason for my original question was, if I were to set a record, which it probably would in the unlimited class, would I have to tear the thing down?  This is a major job in my case.  I'm just trying to figure out a way to get around a tear down.  It seems logical to me that an unlimited machine wouldn't require a tear down. 

I'm probably wrong.  It probably requires a tear down to see that the engine is bigger than 3000cc.  Seems ridiculous.

Max

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »
A tear down also ensures that the engine(s) displacement does not come up short of 3001+ cc.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
That's correct. Your teardown is to prevent undersize only and there's no way around it. You can't run a 2950 cc in unlimited.  It isn't unlimited, although that word is used. It's 3001 cc and above.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Could the motors not be pumped to avoid teardowns?
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »
 Jonny

Gotta disable the valve action to keep 'em closed for the pump test.  Vincent push rod/rocker set up is kind of unique and could get rather interesting to get at everything to do the job easily/quickly in a liner.

Ed

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
max        in the scta there is a strange rule for the pushrod class ---it is  the camshaft shall be located at least one crankshaft stroke below the OEM cylinder deck position or that utilize OEM pushrod length at least twice the crankshaft stroke.    not sure if that would effect you or not    just a thought    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
Jonny

Gotta disable the valve action to keep 'em closed for the pump test.  Vincent push rod/rocker set up is kind of unique and could get rather interesting to get at everything to do the job easily/quickly in a liner.

Ed

Ed great information and also remember that if the bike is 3001cc that only an actual measurement of the bore and stroke would be needed as it would be too close to CC...on the inspection form it should be noted what the actual displacement is and also the class size the vehicle is entered in.

J

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »
Vincents are legal in pushrod class... bou the only thing that isnt is new BMW's
kent

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:34 PM »
Vincents are legal in pushrod class
kent
That just changed in the last year or two, correct?