Author Topic: More Fossett Info  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Freud

More Fossett Info
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »
Since '63

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Re: More Fossett Info
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:02:42 AM »
CNN published this a couple of hours ago:

Bones, ID found near Fossett crash site

Two bones and and a driver's license with Steve Fossett's name have been found near the site where Fossett's plane crashed in eastern California, authorities said Thursday.

The bones appear to be human, and DNA testing will determine whether they belong to the adventurer, Madera County Sheriff John Anderson said at a news conference.

But Anderson said he believes "our coroner's investigation is over and the Fossett family will finally have closure."

"We talked to the family and advised them that we possibly, most likely, found the remains of J. Stephen Fossett," Anderson said.

Searchers found "two large bones," the driver's license, a pair of shoes and a $100 bill on Wednesday, Anderson said. The discovery site was a little more than a half-mile from where Fossett's plane wreckage was found on October 1 in a remote area of the Sierra Nevadas at an altitude of 10,000 feet.

The site of Wednesday's discovery also is about a quarter-mile from where a hiker reported finding aviation identification cards with Fossett's name and $1,000 in cash in late September, Anderson said.

Full story:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/fossett.search/

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »

Freud and Dave.

Thanks for the information..

Searchers find large bones near Fossett crash site
By TRACIE CONE
AP

MADERA, Calif. -Searchers have found what appear to be two large human bones near the crash site of Steve Fossett's plane in California's Sierra Nevada, along with the adventurer's tennis shoes and driver's license, authorities said Thursday.
Madera County Sheriff John Anderson said at a news conference that the bones were found Wednesday about a half-mile east of the crash site. Investigators have sent them to a Department of Justice testing lab and should know in about a week whether they are Fossett's.
Anderson said searchers also found Fossett's tennis shoes, his Illinois driver's license and credit cards. The shoes and driver's license had animal bite marks on them.
"This reinforces our theory that animals dragged him away," Anderson said.
Previous bone fragments discovered near the wreckage were either found to be not human or too small for DNA tests. Investigators have completed their work on the ground and do not plan to resume search efforts, Anderson said.
Fossett's widow, Peggy, said in a statement Thursday that the discovery of bones was "another step in the process of completing the investigation into the tragic accident that took Steve's life."
Fossett vanished in September 2007 after taking off from a Nevada ranch owned by hotel magnate Barron Hilton during what was supposed to be a short pleasure flight.
His disappearance spurred a huge search that covered 20,000 square miles, cost millions of dollars and included the use of infrared technology.
For a while, many of Fossett's friends held out hope he survived, given his many close scrapes with death over the years. But a judge declared him legally dead in February, and his plane wreckage was found this month after a hiker came across his pilot identification cards amid a pile of weathered $100 bills west of Mammoth Lakes in the eastern Sierra.
Authorities have said Fossett slammed into a mountainside at about 10,000 feet and probably died instantly. The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
Fossett made a fortune in the Chicago commodities market and gained worldwide fame for setting records in high-tech balloons, gliders, jets and boats. In 2002, he became the first person to circle the world solo in a balloon.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
2008-10-31 00:00:04

Offline Warp12

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »
Interesting. Is it common for animals to drag an adult-sized body for 1/2 of a mile?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »
Interesting. Is it common for animals to drag an adult-sized body for 1/2 of a mile?

I would thing from seeing crash scene pictures (other airplane accident scene) before that the body comes apart upon a severe impact and remember that the bones most likely were found "down the hill"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:40:11 PM »
most plane crashes I've seen involve a fire...i believe his plane was one of those frail fabric covered Jobie's..... heres a test for ya warp, start your BBQ up and put the largest chicken you can find on it....don't cover it up and let er cook till the fire goes out....just leave it there..... lets see how many neighbors get mad at ya when they find chicken bones in their yards.... yep, totally possible.... hey fly boy, whats your conspiracy theory for this latest news?
Kent

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
Good one Kent.

DW

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »
Kent, you just don't understand the phrase "Let sleeping dogs lie", do you?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Robin UK

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
I know that area reasonably well having been there on holiday often. If I ever get the big lottery win (all pigs fuelled and ready for take off!) a house by one of the lakes there is top of my list. The starts of all the trails have large notices warning you to be well prepared. Being prepared in this area also means knowing how to deal with bears -in my case run like hell at the merest sight of one. My point is, if you put the carcass of any large mammal out there and leave it for a year, don't be surprised if there isn't much left. Gruesome for the family I know but that's nature for you. Not much of a conspiracy theory but very likely what happened. I guess the DNA tests on the bones will confirm it one way or the other but if the coroner is now saying they have all they need to bring this to conclusion then I agree with SSS, perhaps we should just leave it at that.

Robin

Offline Warp12

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »
I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theory. I just wondered if he might have been seriously injured and expired in a different spot. It all makes sense really...I'm no outdoorsman, and I don't watch Animal Planet.

I must have missed a bunch of drama about this earlier. Anyway, I'm off to purchase a large chicken....

Shane

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »
Google search: Fossett crash coordinates
http://www.google.com/search?q=fossett+crash+coordinates

Google Earth Blog: Location of Plane Wreck of Steve Fossett
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/10/location_of_plane_wreck_of_steve_fo.html

For anyone who can't find Google.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4H6goKFB0

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
KSEE 24 TV Fossett News Conference
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »
This is from Friday, October 31:

Madera County Sheriff John Anderson says the case of missing millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett is near a close. On Thursday, Anderson said two large bones and items belonging to Fossett have been found near the crash site. While investigators are close to saying it was Fossett who died in the crash, it could be months before federal investigators conclude what caused the plane to go down. This is raw video from Sheriff Anderson's news conference.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/33645519.html?video=YHI&t=a

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
Monday, 3:30 MST:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27523123/

"Bones near crash site are Fossett's, officials say
DNA tests confirm that millionaire adventurer died when plane crashed"

RtR

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »
Monday, 3:30 MST:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27523123/

"Bones near crash site are Fossett's, officials say
DNA tests confirm that millionaire adventurer died when plane crashed"

RtR

Steve Fossett RIP

Now his family can put a close on there pain and suffering over not knowing its a shame with his skills to loose him in a tragic way. If he only had a chance to run the Sonic Aero we would have the record back in America. I new when a person spends the kind of money to buy the SOA jet car and the effort modifying it than vanishes there is a serious problem. I hope Eric can get the car out and in respect of Steves wishes and dream and show the USA can get there record back and first to 800mph and 900mph

God Bless Steves wife and family
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:30:19 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »