Author Topic: Timing: How does it work?  (Read 10354 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Timing: How does it work?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:39 PM »
................all vehicles except streamliners shall exceed 175 mph in the first timed quarter-mile of the short course ........

But Willie, the "first timed quarter-mile" is in the area of the track right after the 2 mile marker,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
What is the reason for the terminal speed? That means an extra set of lights for the trap at the 5 mile. Does it really provide any information?.........

I believe it does.  With us it has shown that our exit speed at the 5 mile is higher than our 5th mile average, so we know we are still accelerating and need to work on accelerating faster down the course until our 5 mile average equals our exit speed hopefully.

Some cars qualify for the long course and run there legally, but only run through the 3rd mile (first timed mile) for whatever reason and then the following miles are showing declining speeds as they are slowing.  Others might run to the end of the 4th to achieve max. speed, but have no desire to run through the 5 at the same speed to conserve equipment and thus show a declining speed in the 5th mile.  Others, like us, have spun or had a partial spin and also show declining speeds.

I'm glad they have the trap at the end of the 5 mile and hope they keep it.

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:45:29 PM by Sumner »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Willie, I have been in the timing stand for 25 years, The newer rules for an additional timed mile was put in place last year for the slower vehicles and to keep things moving by getting them off the course sooner. The timing on the short course is as follows. mile 1 to mile 2, 2 to  2-1/4 to mile 3. A record can be set in the 1 to 2 mile for the slower vehicles.

The only  1/4 traps are at the 2 to 2-1/4 of the start of the 3rd mile on all courses. :?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:46:11 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »
i stand corrected--i turned off at the 2 mile marker last year and got a 1/4 time on my tickets   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
COOL, see you on the salt :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
This is based on two courses, not the new short-short -- I don't know where the timing lights will be on that one.  But --

on both of the traditional long and short courses you must run two miles before you get to the first timing light.  The next light is at the 2 1/4, as Glen has correctly said (all of his information is correct).  The following light is at the three, then the four, then one light 132' before the five and the last one at the five.

The stretch of salt from the 2 to the 2 1/4 is timed for only one (basic) reason -- to determine if the vehicle is qualified to run the long course, and that qualification is accomplished by having a speed through the quarter-mile-long stretch of 175 mph.

The first full mile -- is from the 2 to the three.  That stretch of the course is the first place where your speed can be used for a record -- all SCTA/BNI records require speeds to be measured over a flying one mile.  The racer may elect to turn off after the lights at the three mile marker and still have completed a run -- and still be eligible for a record, assuming his speed was above the existing record speed.  The mile from 3 to four can be used for a record, and ditto from the four to the FIVE.  The trap at the end of the five is "terminal speed", and is useful (as others have said here) for some, such as the heavy/fast vehicles that are still accelerating after five miles of run...so those vehicles can see the speed and make choices about gearing, etc.  But the timed trap speed is unofficial (although just as accurately measured as any other speed) for record-setting purposes.  As an example of "still accelerating after five miles" -- the Burkland car ran 415 and change in the last mile, but the exit speed was 403.99 or so.  This implies Tom entered the last mile at something like 400 and gained 30 mph during that mile.

As for the new short-short course -- I think (note my caveat) that there is a timing light at the 1, at the two, at the 2 1/4, and at the three.  The timed quarter mile is still in the traditional location -- and the timed first mile is a legitimate mile for record-setting purposes, such as the small-engine bikes that have a terminal speed in the double-digit range.  Those hit top speed in a half-mile or so -- and no matter how long you hold the throttle pinned, the bike doesn't gain any more.  Turn off after the first timed mile (which, in this case, would be the second mile from the start line) -- so the other competitors don't have to wait 'til darn near suppertime for you to finish your run.

How'd I do, Glen?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

MCR

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:39 PM »
Thanks everyone.  That cleared up alot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:54:26 PM by MCR »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
Slim, you did good :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »
"323  had a slower time from the 2/14 mile to 3 mile."

Of course they did, the 1/4 is an entry speed. The mile speed is an average across the entire mile, 2.5 mile speed if you will.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
In all this did someone tell MCR that NO records are set using the 1/4 or exit speeds? I may have missed it.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »
I did by implication -- saying that the quarter speed is used for gaining permission to use the long course.  But to follow up, Dan (and everyone) -- the quarter mile speed is not used in determining records.  Only full-mile speeds are used for records.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com