Author Topic: Model A rear spring spreader needed  (Read 7508 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Model A rear spring spreader needed
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
Does someone in the Salt Lake City area have a spring spreader for the rear spring of a Model A Ford?  As I understand it, these are somewhat different from those used in 32-48 (?) Fords because the spring is positioned directly above the axle and the differential housing prevents a straight line between shackle eyes. 

I made something out of a couple of 2x4s to keep the spring spread out while I replaced the rear axle in my 29, but the spring tension caused the ends to collapse slightly and as a result it's left the width of the spring about 3/4" short of allowing the shackle to be inserted.  I know there are other ways to do this, but in a discussion with a friend, the idea of asking here came up and I figured it's worth a try.

Thanks,

Ray Buck aka Ray the Rat

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Model A rear spring spreader needed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »
Ray:

I have a friend that will readily allow me to borrow his spring spreader, but I've never needed it.  Here's how I do it:

1. Carefully disassemble the spring (use a couple of heavy c-clamps)
2. Set the main leaf on the axle with 2x4's under each spring perch.
3. Put one shackle in.
4. Use a big clamp to slowly compress the spring.  I use a large metal "Quick-Grip" meant for woodworking.  Rather than using the clamp to compress, I carefully bounce on the spring and just take up the slack with the clamp.
5. When the second shackle holes line up, insert the shackle.
6. Using a piece of all-thread for alignment, use the clamps to recompress the spring clamp.

Total time, usually about 20 minutes. 

Oh, I always replace the old, used spring bolt with a nice new grade-8 socket head of appropriate size.

I don't have to say be careful do I?

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
Well, I'd hoped to do it without removing the rear spring, but that might not be possible.  This is a genuine rat rod and the main spring bolt is (at least at this time) permanently attached to the crossmember (some previous owner welded it in place.) I spose I could back up 20 yards and remove said spring bolt, etc., but I was sorta lookin for a shortcut so I can get this critter back on its feet and make some room in my garage for other projects.

Hmmm...time to think this one over a bit.  And no, I don't need to be reminded to take care with springs.  I've had my own "learning experiences" with 'em.  Thanks, anyway.  :)

RtR

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
one of the "mags showed making one out of a tubing with a flattend end and and nut welded in the other for a bolt with long threads--make somehing "safe" for the bolt head to work against on the other end..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
Ray
Isn't there a Model-A club in SLC.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
Yeah, there's a Utah Model A club.  They meet in Ogden.  I've met a couple of members.  However, looking for it on the web gave me a phone number and I'll follow up on that.  Btw, there's a chapter in St. George.  It's on this page:
http://www.mafca.com/chapters/UT.html

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:19 PM »
How about Hugh Coltharpe, he is in SLC area and should have everything related to hot rods. He is the treasurer of USFRA.

DW

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »
I don't know him...that I know of.  Got an email addy?  (If ya do, ya might wanna send it in a PM.)

Ray

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:54:51 PM »
Did you look at the USFRA website?

www.saltflats.com

DW

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
Well...I looked there, but didn't find him exactly, but I sent an email and perhaps it'll lead me in the right direction

Thanks,

RtR

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »
I dont have his number or his email addy, however the USFRA meets the 1st Wednesday of every month at Totems on Redwood Road at 7 PM . If Hugh is not there, I am sure there is other guys who would be able to help you.

Clay

Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »
I hope in the last two months he's solved the problem.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"