Author Topic: Using Nitrous on the Salts, a first hand story  (Read 13958 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Using Nitrous on the Salts, a first hand story
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 05:31:05 AM »
Flyboy,

If you run 'naked' aren't the body panels to be removed? The picture of the bike in prestage looks to have all the body work.

Not a bike guy, just curious.

DW

You're right Dan but he went on to write this about the Bub event

My goals were a constant spray of 20 seconds and a speed of 220 mph in the Modified Partial Streamline configuration.

Probably a good decision with the not so great salt. If you can't pull it to 200 fared, you're not gonna do it naked!

Deb

PS: John, thanks for sharing what you could about the balast issue. I've got a good guess who we're talking about, so tell him I hope he's doing well!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
The last picture shows the modified partial streamline configuration. I did 174 mph last year naked and felt the nitrous and salt would not improve on that record. Because of the crowds and the fact that I was under the weather, this decision was easy to make.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 02:21:01 PM »
Ah-ha, JH, I've been waiting for this chance:

Of the records for M/PS/F 1350, A/PS/F 1350, M/PS/F 1650 and A/PS/F 1650 (which would include ZXZ12/14Rs and 'Busas -- the fastest speed is Jim Owen's 219.555 -- on his 1199 cc ZX12R.

Honestly SSS I am shocked that you would have thought I was referring to the busa.....when I said "it would have gone faster if the bikes name started with an "H" I was talking about Harleys.

Don’t be a V twin hater.

:)

BTW:
All joking aside I was referring to the "who’s faster debate" between the zx14 and the busa. I have owned just about every type bike at one time or the other and to me the world’s fastest bike is the one I am riding that day. In truth I have loved all my bikes (including the zx 11 I had) but now I have busa power and suzys of all size (dr-z50 to the busa) are the fastest bikes made....put me on a buell and they will be the fastest.

On another note I am glad to see they finally updated the 08 busa, after basically remaining unchanged sense 99 I am glad to see the Suzy finally decided to update the bike. I'll bet they will be showing up on the salt very soon.
(nothin but love)
Jonny

JH,

The "guys" are not pouring molten lead in to the swing arm, they are drilling a small hole slightly off center and then pouring in lead shot (for reloading shotgun shells) as this will add about 85-90 pounds of weight and not only remain "stock" appearing it also is not taking away any aerodynamics.

This should not be done and used on a surface like asphalt or concrete because if the bike (big HP Turbo) starts to "come around" it will hop and will be very hard to control on any surface other than dirt or salt.

J

John, I agree...
I remember a few years ago that a guy was telling me that he had poured lead in the swing....for some reason I thought that poured referred to liquid. Now that I think about it, you would have to heat the entire swing arm to leads liquid state temp before it would flow into the space....and then you would need to be able to burp the air.....it could be done but it could change the temper of the aluminum and be dangerous as hell.

I learn something new everyday....

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »
John, I did't get the PM, I'm sure it is an internet/websight error. I figure Scott got his PM but I did't so feel free to post my PM here so we can all benefit from your experience.  Glad this accident didn't happen at Goliad or any other LSR track, Thanks, now I don"t have to worry about the course at Goliad or taking a chance of losing a limb. Thanks for all of your help. Ride safe, Rick
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:32:08 PM by Rick Roberts »
ECTA 200 Club

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
Rick,

No worries.

Take care,

J

dwarner

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 11:32:23 AM »
..."this decision was easy to make."

OK,

Got it,

DW

Offline joea

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 12:44:23 PM »
Flyboy......CONGRATS on the effort....good on ya......your
doing what it takes to go fast......nice job on gettin out there
and learning....

Joe :)

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 10:56:06 PM »
Flyboy,
Thanks for sharing your story. I am new to this as well and I certainly know about the conditions at BUB this year ( 194.116 mile speed, data showed 232 rear wheel speed thru the mile and I blistered the tire in 1 run! naked!) I am told that conditions at BUB 2006 (when I got my cherry popped) were better than perfect. Keep your head up and I hope to meet you next year on better salt.
Nathan McBride
95 M-bg

Offline wheelspin

• http://www.alchemymotorsports.net
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 11:04:10 PM »
John Noonan,
Thanks for sharing the info about ballast.
Do you have any idea WHY this the case?
thanks
Nathan,
ps Dons bike was on a 240+ run (data) when the head gasket blew at super street bike... o-ring here we come.
N

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 12:58:56 AM »
Nathan, if you ever watch a superbike race and see the back tire sliding/spinning in to a turn and then hook up the bike either hooks and carrries the front wheel or it highsides if the rider does not roll out slightly..if the rider is entering a turn spinning the rear tire it may lead to a lowside situation when the tire loses more traction and spins too much.

When you have "extra weight" near the rear of the bike or past the centerline and encounter a bit of wheelhop and then traction on either concrete or asphalt the rear end starts to dance and it is very hard to control as fast as it happens since you have a lot of weight on or near the back of the bike.

Once while testing with just weight in the swing arm I noticed with big power (thanks Velocity) as the tire broke free (185mph) the bike started "dancing" and I thought I was going to wreck.

When I ran the bike the same way on dirt and right after on Salt at much greater speeds I noticed that the bike was much more forgiving and that the issues I had on pavement with much more traction were non existent on loose surfaces like El Mo and Bonne..Shortly after that a freind of mine that Guthrie knows experianced the same situation I encountered and had a nasty accident and after we spoke we determined the issue and realized what the problem was.

It has to due with sprung and unsprung weight, center of pressure and the amount of traction available..

I learned a lot from this and would only run limited amounts of weight for a track like Maxton and Texas with more attention to Maxton.

Take care and good seeing you again.

John
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:32:56 AM by John Noonan »

Offline tricktom1

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
good info
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 01:45:08 AM »
Ladies/Gentlmen--

Time is fast approaching for a new season of running fast and decisions have to be made. As I ended my article on NOS I wanted to know if anyone had successfully used nos with their runs at Bonneville. Even a small 15 shot proved unsuccessful in the snow of 2007. With the superior salt we saw in 2006-- would a shot of NOS have kept the mototcycle wheel to the salt without using barbells on the rear end? It's the only bike I have and would like to keep riding it on the street considering my SUV costs $.36 per mile to operate.  Thanks--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
Flyboy, weight is traction on the salt.  You might want to start looking for a way to make the bike heavier.  Increasing unsprung weight may be the easiest way.  It does not have to be permanent.  Or go on Ebay, find a swingarm, modify it to accept weight and change it out for your racing only.  It is always a compromise if you have a dual use bike. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
I put about 70# of lead on the swingarm of my nitrous bike and picked up about 7mph at Bonneville.  Take that for what it's worth.

Also -- if you're going to use ballast please read and follow 7.B.24 (p. 103 in the '08 rulebook) concerning mounting of ballast.  It says that all ballast must be mounted ahead of the rear axle, although mounting tabs may extend past that axle.  I bolted lead onto the top of the swingarm -- some folks are using hollow swingarms that are filled with lead shot.  A neater installation might be to use depleted uranium instead of lead -- much smaller hunk of metal for the same amount of weight.  Likely to be a bit pricier, though. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »
Flyboy,

I have no knowledge of traction on the salt, but I can tell you some good ideas for tuning the juice for longer periods of time.  I noticed in your pictures that you're not using a solenoid that accepts a Teflon plunger.  Your rubber plunger solenoids will freeze and clog after a short time and cause a rich condition up top.  Also, your twin 2.5 lb bottles will not have the flow rate necessary for long runs, recommend a 5# bottle instead.  Your nitrous will only be as good as the higher pressured bottle at any one time.  Looks like you have a great setup, good luck this year on the salt.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing