Author Topic: Sam Wheeler  (Read 4629 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Sam Wheeler
« on: December 27, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
What a great Christmas present,I got the book and the dvd "WORLDS FASTEST MOTORCYCLE".After watching the dvd I was wondering what is happening with Sam Wheeler and his 'liner? Has he found a solution to the tire problem? I was spectating the first time he ran and saw the evolution of his 'liner thru the years. I find it really amazing how fast he went with one 1400cc kaw. motor.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Sam Wheeler
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »
The last time I talked to Sam was about two months ago.  At that time he was going with the original aluminum wheel that was designed when the bike was first built.  The wheel has gone 225 mph, he said, and then he said he discarded that for the rubber tires.  The aluminum wheel weighs 15 lbs.  with grooves much like an Avon Speedmaster.  I think he said that he had problems with, oh, I don't know, I think something to do with the salt packing on the wheel. 

Anyhoo, he's putting some deeper grooves in the sucker, and said he's gonna give it a try in '08 at Bub.  The way I figure it, if anybody can make an aluminum wheel work, Sam can.

Should be a great "Shoot Out" between the Big Three.   Guess I'll go see what they're up to--might as well take my scooter along and make a couple of passes.

Max 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:23:28 PM »
I find it really amazing how fast he went with one 1400cc kaw. motor.

Me too!

(Especially considering it actually was only 1100 cc.)

Or 1067, give or take a couple of CCs, he is the fastest with the leastest..... or something like that.  Maxx, looking forward to you getting a full power pass with at least 3 gears...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »
I might have to show up with my new liner.....could be 5 fast bikes this year....pray to the salt gods...
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »
....pray to the salt gods...
kent

Always do, see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
I might have to show up with my new liner.....could be 5 fast bikes this year....pray to the salt gods...
kent

What a teaser Kent! :-D LOL How about some more info on your new liner! Unfortunately, I'm not there anymore to see what's going on :cry:
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »
randy
bet your freezin you butt off...scott will probably post pix with the last of his free time, ya know before the diapers and all that baby stuff..lol...
kr

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:49:56 PM »
Kent, Scott won't have time to race with all that diaper changing stuff LOL. Hope he gets all the pictures taken before then!
Not too cold here in the "Banana Belt" of the midwest, almost 50 degrees today and the only snow we had only lasted a couple of days! Went riding on a beautiful day on Sunday! Quite a bit different from SoCal though. Check this link to see our new house being built... www.shycreekvineyards.com
Randy
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »
ah yes...snow and mud....better there than here....
kr

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 10:35:27 PM »
ah yes...snow and mud....better there than here....
kr

Better mud than snow...LOL
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:53:14 AM »
kent

What a teaser Kent! :-D LOL How about some more info on your new liner! Unfortunately, I'm not there anymore to see what's going on :cry:

Randy, haven't you figured Kent out yet? Speedweek is August 18th this year, that means Kent isn't even gonna start building the dam thing until August 1st! He will work countless hours with 1-2 hours of sleep per day until the night before it's time to go at which point he will stay up all night painting the dam thing, once it's done being painted he will spend the whole day packing, loading and getting ready. From this point he will go pick up Randy and they will drive all night only to get to Bonneville on the 20th!

I wouldn't expect to see pictures of that thing finished until around the 21st and when you do see it take as many pictures as you can because with Kent you just never know what is going to happen!

Scott

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »

Randy, haven't you figured Kent out yet? Speedweek is August 18th this year, that means Kent isn't even gonna start building the dam thing until August 1st! He will work countless hours with 1-2 hours of sleep per day until the night before it's time to go at which point he will stay up all night painting the dam thing, once it's done being painted he will spend the whole day packing, loading and getting ready. From this point he will go pick up Randy and they will drive all night only to get to Bonneville on the 20th!

I wouldn't expect to see pictures of that thing finished until around the 21st and when you do see it take as many pictures as you can because with Kent you just never know what is going to happen!

Scott

Yeah, you're right LOL...sounds just like last August! :-D
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »
what do ya mean "done with the painting"... shoot we save that part of the build for each gas stop.... lets see if i can remember how it goes..we spray the silver base at Barstow....then blue in Vegas... and finally clear in Ely....the wind at 70mph helps it dry before the next gas stop...LOL....
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »
Sounds way too familiar, we have had to be carefull loading because the paint is still a little tacky....  :roll:
Stainless

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
thank god for open trailers
kr