Author Topic: Thanks!  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Chaulkdust

Thanks!
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »
Thanks to all the folks on this group! You have given me a new, but humble mission. Having spent many years in restoring old vintage Hondas, I never thought about actually racing one until now.  So I will have any ugly, but hopefully, fast bike. Being an old guy, I don’t have many years left, so this is a real treat, to find something that gets the blood and juices flowing again.  I am going to peck away at this project in good fashion like a vulture in heat.  The information on this site is great, if you  read it all! It answers 70 % of the questions you have, perhaps more, depending on what venue you plan to participate in.

I still can’t figure out how on earth I got hooked into this! Perhaps it was the “PURE” positive vibes from the old members, or the hopeful replies from the new prospective racers, or whatever. Anyway, I’m glad I found this site. It’s rather rare to see folks so willing to share very detailed and technical information on performance/speed/safety/ and general advice.

Like any new venture, I am over overwhelmed by the vast rules/organizations, and regulations that govern running on the salt. It is much more complicated and in some cases not very intuitive as one would assume.  However, I would positively agree with the emphasis on safety, that seems to exude from the rules that have been established.

A special thanks to those folks that have responded to my basic questions! Perhaps one day I can assist in some small way to your needs.

I just hope I can eventually make it through “Tech” and run my bike in 2008. And to all the “newbie’s” like me, it’s going to cost more than you think to run, but do it anyway while you can.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline hitz

Re: Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »
Ron,

From one "old guy" to another, welcome. Bet you have fun!

Harv

"Three years building but still a "newbie"

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:25 AM »
Welcome Ron,   There are a lot of old fogies running around this site.  Some of them can still remember how to make fast motors.  Whatcha buildn"  The minds here may be old but they are still curious.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:21:11 AM »

Welcome Ron    There have been 2 stages of my life. 1 before Bonneville, 40 years. 2 After Bonneville, 7 years.  I am having more fun now than then.  Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »
I'll mention this here -- but the same "question" has been posed in more than a few topics.

A few years ago I conducted a very informal poll of land speed racer ages.  I asked the age of respondents -- on the land-speed list, not on this forum, but I suspect the numbers are similar.  I've long since tossed out the particulars, but the mean age -- that is, half the ages are below, half the ages are above, was about 58 years old.

We had a couple of youngsters -- kids in their 20s -- which skewed the results somewhat.  Many of the responders were at or above 60, with more than you''d think in the 70 and even 80-year-old range.

This ain't a youngster's sport, boys and girls.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:14:29 AM »
SCTA = Senior Citizens Timing Association
ECTA = Elderly Citizens Timing Association
NASA = Nation Association of Senior Activities
DLRA = Drinking Laughing Racing Association

What else do you think it is ? :-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 09:51:27 AM »
This ain't a youngster's sport, boys and girls.

And it is really up to us to change that, lest the sport dies as we do....

Bonneville is a great family sport, engage the younger members of your family.  My boys started going when they were 11-12, and my oldest started bringing his son when he was 12.  Of course, my car partner Marty brought his kids since they were housebroken, and both of them have raced and and built vehicles to race.  Sure, we have record numbers of participants and spectators right now, but my guess that will not last forever.  In a couple of years, my son and I will start building a bike for my grandson to ride on the salt. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tortoise

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »
. . . the mean age -- that is, half the ages are below, half the ages are above, was about 58 years old.
That's the median age.

Offline JB

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
I think 58 is a pretty mean age.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 04:34:42 PM »
Tortoise:

Thanks for correcting me once again.  Yup, mean is another word that means "average", or the quotient of the sum of all the (ages) divided by the number of those ages used in the survey.  Median is the midpoint of the total number of samples, such that there's an equal probability of being above or below the median.

Dang it, I know better, too.  I guess I'll have to offer my mea culpa to the group, which I hereby do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Vortex1

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:16:44 PM »
Hello Ron,

I believe all you have to do is step foot on the salt and start talking to the people there and " Your Hooked " simple as that.
Good luck with your project!

Jim B

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »
This is my first year land speed racing on dirt or salt.  I'm 36 and my wife's grandpa hooked me on it.  He's a long time Bonneville addict and one day mentioned "wha-da-ya-think that fancy motorsickle of your's'll run flat out boy?".  He may as well have double-dog dared me...  The next May we were out at El Mirage, and then Bonneville in August.  I've since met the nicest people in the world and although my roots are steeped in drag racing - I'd be hard pressed to find a better thrill than a 7 mile run at WOT.

I went to two events and then my wife decided maybe she'd go.  She also became afflicted and now we've started bringing the kids.  My 9yr old daughter is a pit-girl supreme.  She helps me prep the bikes now and digs watching Kathy Butler, Paula Burns, and all the other women go fast.  I think she may grow up and race 4 wheels, time will tell.  I hope to be an old timer building cars and bikes for my kids to race. 

Dang all this speed gets under your skin...right next to the dirt and salt.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
This is my first year land speed racing on dirt or salt.  I'm 36 and my wife's grandpa hooked me on it.  He's a long time Bonneville addict and one day mentioned "wha-da-ya-think that fancy motorsickle of your's'll run flat out boy?".  He may as well have double-dog dared me...  The next May we were out at El Mirage, and then Bonneville in August.  I've since met the nicest people in the world and although my roots are steeped in drag racing - I'd be hard pressed to find a better thrill than a 7 mile run at WOT.

I went to two events and then my wife decided maybe she'd go.  She also became afflicted and now we've started bringing the kids.  My 9yr old daughter is a pit-girl supreme.  She helps me prep the bikes now and digs watching Kathy Butler, Paula Burns, and all the other women go fast.  I think she may grow up and race 4 wheels, time will tell.  I hope to be an old timer building cars and bikes for my kids to race. 

Dang all this speed gets under your skin...right next to the dirt and salt.

Shane...

"7"mile..?

You and Burt both running to the 8 ? :mrgreen:

J

PS, Did you de-restrict that 08 of yours because if not I think it is maxed out unless you changed the gearing.

Take care,

John

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
Unfortunately by proxy of what landracing is, means that the financial obligation required to participate is well more than what the average person can or is willing to invest. This is especially true for the typical younger demo that is renting an apartment and is 10K+ in credit card debt. The idea for a young person of common means to build a car/bike and take it out to the salt and all of the residual expenditures not to mention the time involved is not realistic.

This is why the typical age of most participants in LSR is near retirement age and why it is important to involve younger generations if possible. Plus, it is important to have younger people around to show the older people that just because they ARE old it does not make everything they say or think correct (this is a common misconception held my most old people). I see many cases where new ideas are vehemently protested by older generations with tirades of cane shaking and shouts of “back in my day” that is always followed by stories like how a Stromburg 97 is the answer to all horsepower problems.

If anyone disagrees with me….it is just because you are too old to “get it”.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:36:18 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
 :-D Yep! LSR is expensive! But it is WORTH IT!!! No other place can you hone your skills, try new ideas, and hopefully go faster than you went the last time. If you have a BIG bank roll, you can buy your speed. But, for us not so wealthy, we get old motorcycles or cars and then modify them ourselves and in the tradition of "Run-What-You-Brung" try to set records established by "Off-The-Shelf" go fast bikes/cars.

I applaud all the "Home-Builders" and inovaters. THAT is what keeps this sport alive!  :wink:

Terry A. Hume
1976 cb750 Honda w/homebuilt sidecar
If I had it all to do over again...I would!