Author Topic: Buckeye  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Buckeye
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:31:32 PM »
Does anyone know if they made any more attempts after Jon left the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jb2

Re: Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
They did make a record run and return later that day and then that was it.  It sounds like they never figured out their issues at full power it kept shutting down.

From their blog:
Given the limited time available the Bullet set out to attempt the hydrogen fuel cell LSR.  The attempt began around 1pm local time.  In order to qualify for a record, the vehicle would have to complete two runs in opposite directions within 60 minutes.  The BB2 started at the far end of the track, with a plan to refuel at the south end, where the pit area is located, and the restart in the outbound direction within one hour.  The timed mile for the "flying mile" record is in the middle of the 11-mile course.

One more time, the BB2 had a strong start on both legs of the record runs, but had an automatic shut down once it reached full power, in spite of all the work done during the preceding 24 hours to rectify the hydrogen flow problems.  Thus, on both runs the Bullet coasted through the flying mile without any power.  Fortunately, coasting is a relative concept, and BB2 was able to average approximately 130 mph along the timed mile, resetting the fuel cell vehicle record in class 3 (unlimited weight) by nearly 50 mph.  I will send images of the certificate and other details of the run as soon as I have them in digital form.

I want to make it clear that we shall investigate the history of FIA records, as I believe this to be the first time ever that a vehicle has actually set a FIA record with ZERO TRACTIVE POWER. 

In summary, during the past two weeks the Bullet2 has recorded the fastest ever speed for a hydrogen fueled and fuel cell powered vehicle at around 224 mph, and has set the official FIA world record for Group XIV-class 3 (fuel cell engine, unlimited weight) at around 130 mph.

We are proud of the accomplishments of the OSU student team, and we look forward to reaching even higher goals next August.  The team will be returning to Columbus late today.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »
I'm confused.

You're proud of a coasting record? 

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

landracing

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 11:38:37 PM »
Stan,

I would stand by them in they worked their asses off at Speeweek, World Finals and the FIA meet.

during the FIA meet I think they had 8 people there, and they built the whole project from December to August where they were still working on it. I think it is an accomplishment that they got it there and got alot of testing done, and worked on some of the bugs in the liner.

Jon

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:06:30 AM »
Stan,

Even if they coasted through the lights the machine still had to accelerate up to its coasting speed under its own power, and they were able to break the old record by 50mph. My hat is off to them for their determination, and once they get it figured out, maybe they will break their existing record by 100mph. Maybe that will be done coasting also.  :wink:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 05:11:49 AM »
The biggest problem in the BB2 are the fuel (hydrogen) lines - the vibrations during the run on the salt make them leak - if they could fix that this racer will run very well.
During the Speedweek this lines went leak only when they pushed the car from the pits to the starting line - therefore was the lot of no starts coming.
Unfortunately you can see that this streamliner was built in a very short time - the BB1 had a great final finish in the building - hope that the students can use the time to next August to bring the BB2 to the same workmanship and than we can enjoy fast runs from them.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »
Come on, guys, I was only kidding!

And I bet Glen has timed a lot faster "coasters" when they stay on the course mile after mile, not under power.

Years ago, when impounds was at the 11-mile one time, we were down there all day after an early morning qualifier.  We had two "coasters" come on by and were glad to see them.  Al Teague and Nolan White, as I remember -- good company to be included with.  I'm sure their 6th miles were at a pretty good rate!

Don't ever mind me -- I just like to twist or stir once in a while.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"