Author Topic: Bub's Speed Trials  (Read 4231 times)

Offline mtkawboy

Bub's Speed Trials
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
Having been to Bonneville Speed Week a dozen or so times I was wondering if the bike meet of Bub's is any good or worth while. Im mainly a bike guy and was thinking of trying it because of possable better chance of getting a room. I once tried a Utah Salt Flat Racers meet and no offence but it was like watching paint dry between runs. Would a later SCTA meet be a better idea or what? Thanks for any advise on this. Because of gas prices I can only do one.

Offline Stan Back

Re: Bub's Speed Trials
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »
Bpy --

There is a later SCTA meet -- the most-enjoyable World Finals.  But the weather gets chancier.  And the couple we've been to had weather in the 60's  --  super nice for Bonneville.

But it's hard to place your one bet on this one -- it can crap you out.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
MKB, are you racing or watching or both? 

If the salt is good, the fastest bikes in the world will be racing at Bub.  If Bub really did improve their process, it will be good to watch and race.  If not, it will be a lot worse than watching paint dry.  Incidentally, the USFRA did an outstanding job the last 2 years, and every time we have raced with them was a great meet.  Plan to run with them again this year. 
The WF meet in Oct is usually cool, not too crowded but often cut short if it happens.  Only problem at that one may be the "at the meet" bike rule changes that occur but are corrected before the last El Mirage. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
Just watching, I have an emplanted morphine pain pump for my back, dont think Id pass the physical. The cooler meet might be a better idea, I dont last long in the heat. I havent been to Bonneville since it was installed.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
Any complaints about the USFRA meet never include lack of hospitality. It is a MARVELOUS meet. They cut you every bit of slack that you could ever realistically request. Their records are just as valid as those established during Speed Week or World Finals. The weather generally has cooled off somewhat and in my book it rates an A.

World Finals is hard core. It takes a dedicated racer to decide to run late in the year. Many people that attend WF's are balls to the wall racers. Wear a coat in the morning, possibility of ice on the road on the way out to the track and you don't have to get up as early. The lines are shorter and the nitro is more dense.

The BUB meet is dedicated to two wheels. The event is young in it's history. Denis is so dedicated to the motorcycle world that he put his money on the line to make this work. There is no doubt about it.......when you say "motorcycle' this is the place to be.I understand that the 'liners have the priority but that's not all bad. At least you can see them run and private time doesn't always make that possible. Even if you do wait in line, the dude next to you is also a biker and you should have something to talk about as u wait.

We  are blessed. Other racers come from the Continent, the UK, and Down Under to share these events. Gas costs $4.25 per gallon and air freight costs $1000 for several hundred pounds.

The only bad choice is if you decide not to go.

Convince your family that cremation is acceptable and use the difference in burial costs to attend the "late in the year" events. They will all be happy that you were able to attend "events to die for".

FREUD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:26:29 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »
Petrol over here is now nearly $11 a gallon! I would make the BUB meeting if I could afford to come over, especially as the main bikes will be there.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
In all fairness to the USFRA this was one of their early meets, about 87-88 era in July as best I can recall. Im not certain on the excat year. Things may be much better by now. No disrespect was meant towards them, I have all the respect in the world for all racers

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »
I have an emplanted morphine pain pump for my back

That's legal in fuel class, isn't it?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »
With a doctors prescription. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
Unfortunately theres no added performance, just a little less pain. I could run in Vintage/fuel fatboy class, short course only

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 12:27:09 AM »
Unfortunately theres no added performance, just a little less pain. I could run in Vintage/fuel fatboy class, short course only

MKB, fat? how can that be.... no pain, no gain  :roll:   :-D  8-)
See ya on the salt
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O